Recent content by hwyonenorte

1. H

Anyone into Single Malt Scotch Whisky?

Will try the Arran; hadn't heard of it before. Here's an exerpt from Master of Malts: Tasting Note by The Chaps at Master of Malt Nose: Herbal, biscuity, hedgerow greenness and dried grass, like a long English summer's afternoon. Palate: Sweet. Quite malty, digestive biscuits, followed by green...
  2. H

Anyone into Single Malt Scotch Whisky?

All this rain and wind combined with a seemingly endless cold has kept me out of the water and into a bottle. My fav's have mostly been mentioned: Bunnahabhain 12 Glendronach 12 Caol Ila 12 Hibiki 12 But I'm loving the Irish now with Red Breast Lustau!
  3. H

Legendary surfer/shaper reviews Firewire Surfboards

This whole discussion is akin to prostitution. Why knock/bust the ho's? They're just selling product.... Greg Knoll once said something like, "real surfers don't buy surf clothes..." and I would add, "at least until they're 50% off!"
  4. H

Surfing is Broken

It used to be poop, pulp mill effluent, freezing water, and crappy surf!
  5. H

Warmest hooded full suit and favorite winter gear

Bought one on the same deal. Great suit for PNW as stated. It's a little stiff compared to a sponge like O'neill. Much better quality though, and holds it temp rating for a long time, unlike previous mentioned sponge that's only good for a few months. NY winter? No way. You'll freeze. I'd...
  6. H

Shimming

Yep! The longer the period swell, the more that's true. Explaining taking off on foil to a surfer, I always says it's like longboarding pipeline. Paddle as hard as you can and jump way forward to get your weight and momentum on the nose. Give the board a few pumps like you're you're trying...
  7. H

Greg Griffin RIP

A few years back, I placed my last shortboard order with Greg. He was moving from Hawaii to Florida. With all that typically comes with a life course change like that, our conversation was instead about which bike to get. He was like a giddy kid who wanted the most expensive, most high...
  8. H

Best crowd killer performance board

I had a 7' FT for a month. First board I ever put under my arm thinking it was a thing of beauty, but then let down. Paddled slow, needed a fair bit of push, so with that given, I'd rather be on a higher performing board. Think you really need to size up for them to work properly. Sometimes...
  9. H

Best crowd killer performance board

Visit this part of the forum: https://forum.surfer.com/index.php?threads/gliders.227300/ I've all but given up surfing crowded California spots due to the presence of hipsters on gliders or the plethora of foamie popout speed bumps. I notice the 'ol 10' big wave gun and scratched Gath helmet...
  10. H

Pollard Twin

Here's the story? http://www.boardcollector.com/2009/12/fluid-foils.html
  11. H

Pollard Twin

Is that tail rocker and concave on a 70's shortboard? Your's Greg? Looks like a modern retro. Bet it surfs great!
  12. H

Greg Liddle Burrito

Doing a liddle internet browsing and found these videos among many others. One is showing a point breaker type board ridden at Rincon on a day where you'd be frothing to wack the lip with a hp shortboard, the other showing how Liddles ride any peeling wave essentialy the same with a wide...
  13. H

Post your Foil Pics HERE

Towed in on a crowded day with a Bayliner, no less. Sort of missed the whole concept of 'don't ruin it for the rest of us....' Good place for wing foiling as long as you don't turn the corner. Both of those a-holes (rock thrower and foiler) re-inforce my choice to seek solitude foiling...
  14. H

Greg Liddle Burrito

Forgot to add the most important aspect of Liddle's. They are optimised for forehand surfing. If you are riding Malibu and are a goofy foot, learn to ride regular. Going backside is a waste (imo) unless you are a Derek Hynd stylist.
  15. H

Greg Liddle Burrito

Liddle's are amazing boards. May change your life. Or you might hate it. Understand what you are buying. A 'Burrito' is a 'Point Breaker' with the nose and tail cut off. Sizing is more about thickness than anything. 3" for 180lbs plus, 2 5/8" for lighter riders. Thinner rails for small...