Recent content by HotHail

1. HotHail

Should most of us be riding a 7'0 thruster?

DH's BD seems like it fits that category. I haven't put hands on the M23 or the Mayhem, but they seem like standard mids, no? The M13 kinda held that hybrid category a bit, but the M23 looks a bit like a fattened up and beefier version of the CI Mid. The description on the Lost site sure make...
  2. HotHail

Speaking of 'no talent boards' whatever happened to 'hybrids'? I feel like ~10-15 years ago all the hype was around hybrids like the Rusty piranha or Webber Afterburner. And now it's all midlengths or shortboards with not much in between unless it's a step-up. Are hybrids a thing of the past at...
  3. HotHail

Foam is your friend until you're surfing steep, pitching waves and find yourself getting hung up in the lip. Then it's a liability. I have a 6'10 thruster that does just about anything I ask of it, except when I'm in peaky or pitchy waves. Then it's either a shortboard or an embarrassment...
  4. HotHail

5'6" Tyler Warren Quad Pill w/ TW True Ames Fins - $480 - Can ship

Posted this up on Ebay with more pics: https://www.ebay.com/itm/165962161459 Discount -$100 for erBB'ers 5'6" x 19 3/8" x 2 7/16" (~28-30L?) True Ames Tyler Warren Quad fins are included. Excellent condition, no repairs, only a few very minor pressures and some small, sealed snackles (shown in...
  5. HotHail

Surfboard Storage

I've been using a modified lumber rack to store the longboards, my kid's foamie, and my friend's orange board. I used 1x1 hardwood extensions to make it wide enough and wrapped it in pipe insulation. A set screw at the bottom keeps the wood from sliding out. All in, it cost me around $50 six...
  6. HotHail

Dwart Fin Setup?

According to Rusty, the Smoothie is the evolution of the Piranha.
  7. HotHail

Dwart Fin Setup?

I had a Hypto for a little while. That's a good example of a board that was night and day between quad and thruster. Total dog as a quad. They shouldn't even sell it with a 5-fin option, IMO. The board outline is only one part of the equation though. Fin placement on two identically shaped...
  8. HotHail

Dwart Fin Setup?

Even with that tail? Good to know. Then I guess I'll give 'em a try after all. Thanks.
  9. HotHail

Dwart Fin Setup?

Thanks CasaM and retodd. I have some PC's that I think might be similar. I'll give 'em a try. The board's a 5'6" but it's a bit more volume than I usually ride. My very first session on it I thought it should be 2-3" shorter. Had it out on a head high day and it was fun, but the last few...
  10. HotHail

Dwart Fin Setup?

Been awhile since I posted on here. Might be my last chance to take advantage of the collective wisdom now that Surfer is RIP. Recently picked up a Dwart cheap on CL and have been trying to dial in the fins. Been running KR Parko's both as thruster and as quad w/ GXQ's rear. After a few...
  11. HotHail

*** Official Corona Virus Thread ***

via reddit: