Recent content by dcunited

1. D

Youth activities

Agree with the notion that kids are over scheduled. They are. But we also didn't have as many screens back in the day, and nowhere near as cool. Phones, switches, gaming consoles are powerful, powerful, drugs. Your response will be 'so dont' give them to your kid.' Kids response? Fine, can I go...
  2. D

Youth activities

What Swallow Tail said. Best thing is to expose them to lots of different sports/activities as you don't know which one, if any, will click for them. It's a bit of a crap shoot, the right coach can get a kid pumped on a sport, the wrong one can turn them off it. And their interests may change...
  3. D

Professional thieves La Jolla Shores.

FWIW I got hit years ago at OB San Francisco. Ever since then I got paranoid and started taking my license, credit card and key fob (the valet is with me in the water) from my wallet and stashing them with my phone in small compartment in the trunk of my car. I leave the rest of the wallet..AAA...
  4. D

CA storm this weekend

The weekend storm came in pretty warm so the snow to liquid ratio was pretty bad for Tahoe, but far better for Mammoth. For instance last Sat was epic with the cold temps overnight Fri, but Sun/Mon was classic sierra cement in Tahoe. Also for the last couple months these storms keep on...
  5. D

CA storm this weekend

You're probably aware but the cost of resort lunches is beyond outrageous. If you're looking to save some cash..and eat better food..think about brown bagging it. I typically throw some charcuterie in a back pack..proscuito and salame from Trader Joes, slice up some emmental or gruyere or...
  6. D

CA storm this weekend

I suppose though I've only been rear ended on 88 in chain control, never done the rear ending. Spun out quite a few times (sometimes intentionally) but never near another vehicle. I'd guess CHP would asses who hit whom. Hard to think they'd care if you got hit and didn't have chains on. From my...
  7. D

CA storm this weekend

FWIW not sure what control did this weekend, but while Caltrans R2 is AWD with snow tires or chains, caltrans just about always will wave you through just with AWD and won't check the tires, no need to chain up. Unless you plan on tailgating someone on 203 while going 60 mph. Then nothing can...
  8. D

Sporting wood at the beach . . . .

Around 5 years ago surfed blacks near the gliderport entrance and was snaked on a left by a naked dude on a wavestorm. I took off and he popped up around 20 feet down the line, completely oblivous. His surfing stance was as you could imagine pretty terrible and image has since burned an...
  9. D

Possible Feb Trip Nosara CR

piggybacking on the thread..never been to Costa Rica and planning on going to Nosara for 6 days in late April with my son. I was thinking it may be good to spend half the time in Nosara and the other half at another location. Logistically I'm wondering if that's a bad idea..for 6 days is it...
  10. D

Entire west coast about to get some action

Well that escalated quickly.
  11. D

The Official OBSF Support Group

Damnit. SFGate reporting someone pulled from the water without a pulse. https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/surfer-pulled-from-water-sf-ocean-beach-18465425.php By OB standards it's been really small and mellow all week long.
  12. D

Dave Parmenter on California waves, Australian waves, and localism

El Porto is definitely in the running. I can't speak for the rest of the south bay. Linda Mar however has the uncanny ability to close out at any size, any swell direction, tide..you name it. In fact if a wave at that beach closed out and nobody was there to see it..did it really close out? The...
  13. D

Dave Parmenter on California waves, Australian waves, and localism

While admittdely I have limited knowledge of the zone, I take issue with the author claiming Cayucos as the closeout capital of the world. Instead I will nominate Linda Mar as closeout capital of the world! All hail Linda Mar!
  14. D

Shark Attack - Marin County

Surflie had video of the man in the gray suit breaching outside the break at OB a few years back. Pretty surreal as there was a pack of guys inside and it seemed that none of them even noticed. I've never thought of OB as sharky. Perhaps my own suspension of disblief, but there aren't that many...
  15. D

Knee Pain

There's a lot of info in recent years that goes against RICE for recovery on the notion that anti inflammatory meds and ice decrease the very mechanisms your body uses to assist in healing the problem. Only opinion I could give is stay active with the knee but not to the point of pain. On a...