Gabriel Medina Got Robbed In Portugal, Bells and Margs (title edited due to the trifecta)

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
So its payback time?
IDK. I just remember the last time I really watched all the webcasts it seemed like Brazzo's were over scored a lot. I didn't watch this contest, so not agreeing or disagreeing on if he was robbed or how fair it was or wasn't. There are probably a lot of post of mine here in years back blasting the judging. :shaka:

Reactions: Leonardo

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
I thought it was lateral too... but not too lateral... just enough to surf the wave as best as it possibly could have. It was either that or a Hail Mary. I'm fine with this score.

View attachment 175503
View attachment 175504
View attachment 175505
View attachment 175502

I think Medina lost because of his strategy. He went for big airs right off the bat and didn't make them... so by the end when he needed a score, he went for turns to avoid falling. He did it backwards, should have built up his score with turns and then gone for the crazy airs.
I thought he pulled back on that first wave bc his board may have already been creased. He checked it right after. But then he did the same 3/4 snap on his last wave. Almost like he couldn’t make up his mind on going full commit on the first turn or milking each wave. Griff got the score for longer rides.

Gabe’s last wave would have been a winner but for the floater In place of a second turn. They just don’t score floaters, no matter how critical and effective in transition.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I thought he pulled back on that first wave bc his board may have already been creased. He checked it right after. But then he did the same 3/4 snap on his last wave. Almost like he couldn’t make up his mind on going full commit on the first turn or milking each wave. Griff got the score for longer rides.

Gabe’s last wave would have been a winner but for the floater In place of a second turn. They just don’t score floaters, no matter how critical and effective in transition.
They don't score bottom turns either. Medina's were solid, Colapinto's weak.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I just finished How Surfers Get Paid and Jordy was trashing Medina's rail game... and Italo too. He said if he was a sponsor he wouldn't pay Italo a dime!
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Italo replied back then, that "he obviously doesn't like our surfing, he keeps losing to us". (it's in quotes but I made it up kinda... he said something quite similar to that, and it was very true back then, not this year).

Medina didn't reply because he obviously doesn't have to.
Jordy has won something like 6 events in his career, 4 of which were at lowers and J Bay. It’s been 7 years since his last win.

Gabe’s won 18 from the wave pool to Chopes and Pipe and everywhere in between. Jordy is a great surfer, no doubt, but he’s got a long way to go before he has room to criticize Gabe.

Italo is different animal, and I can see why people don’t like his surfing, but at least on his backside there’s nothing really missing from his rail game.

Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
and Italo can always dangle his world title at Jordy's face.

Jordy could probably kick their asses though, dude is big and spent his teen years as a criminal from what I heard (Jordy himself said he used to steal cars).
and dangle his olympic gold medal!

• Haha
Reactions: brukuns

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I thought it was lateral too... but not too lateral... just enough to surf the wave as best as it possibly could have. It was either that or a Hail Mary. I'm fine with this score.

View attachment 175503
View attachment 175504
View attachment 175505
View attachment 175502

I think Medina lost because of his strategy. He went for big airs right off the bat and didn't make them... so by the end when he needed a score, he went for turns to avoid falling. He did it backwards, should have built up his score with turns and then gone for the crazy airs.
IMG_6242.jpeg

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
One guy said they will use 18oz gloves and head protection. Tyson still looks savage though for 57yr old. But how's that stamina going to be? Jake can probably dance and run like Mayweather for 10+ rounds.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
That's going to be a no dog. Had he hit the section in the manner you suggest the wave becomes a one-turn wave as the wave runs away. Perhaps he does a massive air and gets super duper lucky and gets a 10. Also perhaps he falls and gets a 2. Gabby did the right turn that the pace of the wave dictated. It was the biggest and fastest wave of the heat and deserved a much higher score than it got. Gabby winning didn't fit the script.

Reactions: brukuns