Glass on vs Futures - unscientific experiment….

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Hose water flow on fins.

Glass on vs Futures.

Both boards are AO twins with True Ames TA fins.

Top glass - bottom Futures

View attachment 170499

View attachment 170500
Probably 20 years ago FCS came out with a fin set that had some sort of boot at the base of the fins to create the flow of glass ons. Only ever saw the marketing for them but never actually saw them in a shop.

Question though: Do we really want the flow of water from the bottom of the board climbing up the fins the way it does with glass ons?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Question though: Do we really want the flow of water from the bottom of the board climbing up the fins the way it does with glass ons?
I don’t know, but….

….the reason I did this specifically with the AO twin (aside from the fact that I have the boards to do it) is that my understanding of the design is that the bottom contours and fins are designed to work together more so than other designs.

So in the case of this specific design I would answer yes.

But that is a yes only in the context of achieving the desired effect of the design.

Does that mean that this desired effect is “better” to surf on?

I don’t know but when I get an actual wave on the DA version I might have a better idea.

A couple issues determining that is this…

…Despite the fact that I had an AO of the exact dims but with glass ons the boards are of different construction. Both PU but different glass. Theres a significant weight difference. I also don’t have the PU/PE board anymore.

Would be nice to surf them back to back.