**BONZER THREAD 2014**

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Absolutely.

I had initially thought this was going to be an all rounder I could grab almost any day everyday....
Turned out to be a much more HP really good wave board.
Needs long period water running fast underneath it and once it's up to speed and planing it pulls hair and straight fvcks.
Mini swallow elicits rape charges from walls.

I have to write a design review for Malcolm and will post it here when I do.

Thanks
radical. glad to hear it fucks. i love a good happy ending post.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
After this board being lost in my racks for a year or so, I pulled it out a few days back. It's a really good board. Bumblebee with an E-wing. I widened the tail slightly to accommodate the wing. Malcom puts the wing in after the cut and I didn't want the tail-block getting narrower than the stock BB.

1696086717832.png

Interestingly enough, this board catches waves easier than my midsize boards and is waaaaay looser. It's the entry rocker IMO. But whatever. PVC stringers.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
still riding that wide tail russ short or whatever twin thing?
Not really. I've got way too many boards and since pops died my surfing has been way too infrequent. I'm hoping to remedy the surfing thing going forward. And I need to cut down on the number of boards I'm riding. It's rare I ride the same board twice in a row. Which is stupid. I'm going to have to make some decisions and let some boards go I think.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
More sneak peaks of my Boardroom Bonzer.
6-1 x 20-1/2 x 2-5/8. I was inspired by the Bumblebee and the Bonzer3D. I'd consider this one a daily driver with a predilection for the top end, head high plus. That's my usual formula- I always want the board I'm riding on a daily basis (knee to chest) to perform when the waves get good (head high plus). These photos are before final wetsand. I'm always torn when I do figured wood boards- going glossy makes the figure pop, but I really love the feel of 400 grit satin in the hand...

Do bonzers generally weigh more? This one came in at 7lbs, which is a pound or so heavier than what I've been getting.

The outline of the board is almost identical to the board in the last photo. The story of that board- it was my first iteration. I found an interesting veneer that, when book matched, would create a kind of spear down the middle. Everything was going along fine until the time came to bag the veneers. When I rolled the epoxy over the wood the veneer totally curled around the knots. I've used veneers with knots before but usually just one or two and never had this happen. The bumps always flattened in the vacuum bag. This time the bottom flattened out OK and, with a shitton of work, I got it all flat. But the deck curled really bad and the bag wouldn't flatten the bumps an ridges (because of the convex deck?). I had to just grind downthe bumps and ridges, exposing the foam and glass below (there is a layer of 4oz under the wood on the dwck, so structural integrity was not compromised). If you look closely you can see where I tried to match the wood color with tempera, but it was hard because the wood changes color when the resin hits it and the paint also changes color when the resin hits it. The board in the photo is lammed and awaiting fins and sand coats.

Both boards will be available. I'm only bringing the first one to Del Mar.

IMG_8701.jpgIMG_8700.jpgIMG_8702.jpgIMG_8703.jpg

Last edited:

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013
Not really. I've got way too many boards and since pops died my surfing has been way too infrequent. I'm hoping to remedy the surfing thing going forward. And I need to cut down on the number of boards I'm riding. It's rare I ride the same board twice in a row. Which is stupid. I'm going to have to make some decisions and let some boards go I think.
Let some boards go!? Do tell! Retired the Johnny Cash model a ways back. It served me well!

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Let some boards go!? Do tell! Retired the Johnny Cash model a ways back. It served me well!
Wow. That was a good board. I got a ton of waves on that thing before it went to you. I almost rejected it without riding it because of the weight. It was my everyday board. I have a copy with glass on bamboo fins and an insane psychedelic Pinliner airbrush. RIP for Johnny. Amazing how far that board went.

Reactions: scooch and kpd73

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
This one goes great with thruster size sides, even In bigger surf ( ala rawson, Bobby owens, etc,).
Been meaning to try it (or one like yours in a bonzer set up)
Interesting. That board is a bit of a freak show. I need to review the dims, but it is super wide. I may have gone too far. The tail, from memory, is almost 18". I wanted something I could skate over nothingness. With the Bonzer 7" fin, it just wasn't meeting expectations. I felt like I was leaving something on the table. Plus backside I had a couple of failures off the bottom. Board went one way and I went another. (MORE PRESSURE!) Anyway I was in the shop, and Spencer has a box of fins. I looked in there to see what he had going on and that one was in there as a single. I asked him for permission and he granted it. He thinks he got it from McCoy. It's like 9 1/2" or so deep. First ride was promising. Loose and skatey on waves that were barely there. I don't know if the board will work for me backside. I have trouble with wide nose boards backside. Too much forward rail in the water. My "technique" is lacking IMO. Off the bottom I need to raise my lead arm instead of dropping it as a pivot.

McCoy makes those fins in a number of variations. The more upright the tip, the more pivot/open face oriented the fin. The further back the tip sweeps, the more down the line the turn. Obviously.

I'm going to have to try and buy this one from Spencer or order one from McCoy in Australia.

Reactions: money4coffeeman