KALIFORNIA ..... OFICIALMENTE DONE!!!!

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
You wrote that it won't be solved and I agree. I don't agree that this type of program will work. People shouldn't get over the whole "why should I pay..." and "why should they get free stuff" Equity baby! You work you eat, you don't F off. You unable because of mental illness or disability, ok we as a society are there to help. You want to sit around and take drugs, F you.

When I see a young person sitting at an intersection with a sign, I think "I'm 65 and I'm driving around town and working, but you want me to give you some of the money I'm earning so you can avoid doing what all working folks are doing?" It's a no for me dog. I've seen toddlers in Guatemala who are missing limbs holding those signs. I want to tell these 30 something losers that they are amatuer beggers compared to those truly in need.

Old heartless boomer, out!
I agree with you but what you're proposing is status quo.

We already told them to pull themselves by the bootstraps. It didn't work.

"Beleiving" that Housing First won't work before even trying, is just that, a beleif.

Again it worked elsewhere.

Empath boomer out! :poop:

Reactions: waxhead

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
You conveniently ignored the key theme of waxheads post. Who gets to be homeless in Santa Barbara or SF vs Bakersfield? If someone doesn’t want to the free “housing first” in a certain place, are they entitled to it in their favorite city that the rest of us have to bust out asses to afford, and often can’t because prices are so high? :unsure:
Nobody said that homeless can choose to live on the waterfront in Santa Barbara.

But nice strawman, as always.

The main point of HF is to offer autonomy to those who want it, without any pre-conditions but simultaneously provide support and separate them from the environment where they can keep using or continuing with old habits. Having autonomy can make wonders to people's lives, putting them in shelters, not so much.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Nobody said that homeless can choose to live on the waterfront in Santa Barbara.

But nice strawman, as always.

The main point of HF is to offer autonomy to those who want it, without any pre-conditions but simultaneously provide support and separate them from the environment where they can keep using or continuing with old habits. Having autonomy can make wonders to people's lives, putting them in shelters, not so much.
I never said anything about waterfront but nice strawman as always.

What happens when they decide that they don’t want to live where they’ve been assigned and decide to camp out at the beach? :unsure:

• Dislike
Reactions: plasticbertrand

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Maybe you don't totally have to force the internment. What if you took dump trucks, with a bunch of drugs and food in the back, and basically stayed 25 yards in front of the homeless, with drug doses and food servings in bio-degradable paper bags, and they just followed the bait to the Fent Basin of No Escape?

Anyone homeless drug zombie convicted of a felony, you 'chute them up, explain how to yank the ripcord or whatever, and you fly over the Fent Basin of No Escape and toss 'em out the plane. If they commit crimes in the Fent Basin of No Escape, the prosecution already has sanity fit to stand trial proven!

Reactions: Chocki

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
You can offer them the world and it's never good enough.
The world has people who take 30 minutes to pressure wash a door and constantly blast water through the door jam.

The world has people who have a conversation while trying to make a left and let gap after gap after gap go, then get mad when you pull up alongside them in the oncoming lane and make a right around them.

Fent Basin of No Escape is like a reverse Garden of Eden!

Reactions: Chocki

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I never said anything about waterfront but nice strawman as always.

What happens when they decide that they don’t want to live where they’ve been assigned and decide to camp out at the beach? :unsure:
If you think I'm going to play hypotheticals with you, you're smoking crack.

I offered some facts, you and Caca offered nothing other than shooting every idea down. Boring.

• Haha

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Why do you keep lying? :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2:

Housing First involves both "scattered" and "congregate" housing.

I receive and discharge homeless people on the regular. I know what I'm talking about. lol.
No it doesn't, I literally posted a quote from the Housing First paper.

The very basis of HF is scattered housing.
That's why it works.

Because as you correctly pointed out, continuing in the similar environment, with other addicts, doesn't work.

Congregate housing is not Housing First.
Or maybe it's a version of it and that's why it didn't work.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
That's the fascinating part, and a common thread I've noticed.

They will choose the street over multiple other housing options.

You can offer them the world and it's never good enough.
"They will choose street..."

Who are they and how many of there are there?

Caca: "a lot.."

I guess that's close enough.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
No it doesn't, I literally posted a quote from the Housing First paper.
You posted a quote from a random housing first paper

The very basis of HF is scattered housing.
That's why it works.

Because as you correctly pointed out, continuing in the similar environment, with other addicts, doesn't work.

Congregate housing is not Housing First.
Or maybe it's a version of it and that's why it didn't work.
It is indeed a version of it - how can you say it doesn't work if you didn't even know it was a version of it?:unsure::unsure::unsure:

lol

:crazy2::socrazy::crazy2::socrazy::crazy2::socrazy:
:roflmao: :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
:poke::poke::poke::poke:

• Dislike

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
You posted a quote from a random housing first paper

It is indeed a version of it - how can you say it doesn't work if you didn't even know it was a version of it?:unsure::unsure::unsure:

lol

:crazy2::socrazy::crazy2::socrazy::crazy2::socrazy:
:roflmao: :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
:poke::poke::poke::poke:
Because you told me that it was segregate housing and then you told me it was a failure.

You told me.

I liked you better when you quit erBB.
So much toxicity for such a little man.

• Haha

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
If we could just impose a homeless dress code - clean suit and tie for men with wingtips and a briefcase, and a stylish skirt and blouse for the women with tasteful makeup and some decent pumps. This way the homeless would at least not appear downtrodden.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
If we could just impose a homeless dress code - clean suit and tie for men with wingtips and a briefcase, and a stylish skirt and blouse for the women with tasteful makeup and some decent pumps. This way the homeless would at least not appear downtrodden.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
There was a joke I overheard about giving phones and mic cord with ear buds to the people who randomly shout at ants, leaves, clouds, shadows, and the like.

"If we give them some clean clothes and they have a phone and mic cord, and they just start talking, it will look they are important people. They will feel empowered and we can think they are just entitled *ssholes who don't know public phone etiquette. It will be 'Oh look another *asshole business person,' and not 'Filthy, homeless junkie.'"

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Interestingly, according to what I have been told by multiple LEOs, Santa Barbara gathers up its homeless in certain neighborhoods and busses them to...

wait for it...

Ventucky!

Bakersfield by the Sea!!

Bring us your crazy, your lazy and your drug addicted!

Keep Montecito beautiful.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Always cracks me up that the guys who are all about 'hating big governmet' and 'keeping the governments hands off of americans personal freedoms' are the first to propose concentration camps for people they cant control..."they should just round em up and put em in a camp...shoot any of em that break the rules" Libertaianism for me, jackboots for you seems to be the rule.

• Love

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Always cracks me up that the guys who are all about 'hating big governmet' and 'keeping the governments hands off of americans personal freedoms' are the first to propose concentration camps for people they cant control..."they should just round em up and put em in a camp...shoot any of em that break the rules" Libertaianism for me, jackboots for you seems to be the rule.
So you're saying your love for big government justifies your desire for concentration camps for the homeless?

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Over 25% of the homeless are mentally ill. Around 1/3 of homeless people have problems with alcohol and/or drugs. 2/3 of homeless people have lifetime histories of drug or alcohol use disorders. You can't help addicts who don't want help. But plenty of people want help and can't get it. Largely rehab is for rich people. Rich people go to rehab, poor people quit or die.

And the 25% that is full on mentally ill will forever be a problem when left on the streets to their own devices. I hate to say it, but some of them really need to be institutionalized. On the streets they will continuously be victims or predators. You are not going to have any good outcomes with these people on the streets and left to their own devices. Especially when you mix in self medication with addictive drugs.

And with all this bullshit war on drugs crap, there should be a place in rehab for anyone that wants to go. That would be expensive, but what are the costs of having a population of hopeless addicts doing whatever they have to do to get what they need? All said and done, any interaction you have with a homeless person, chances are about one in three that they are insane and/or drug addicted. But send your wife/daughter on down the street to the store. It might be OK.

Last edited: