Fires in Maui

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Wildfires being pushed by 50+ mph winds are virtually unstoppable. If you've ever witnessed one you know how terrifying they are. All the firefighters in the world could not have saved Lahaina. It'll take time but it'll come back. They always do. It'll be different of course, but the people who ride out the next few years will end up with a special pride of ownership, and many solid relationships will emerge from this tragedy.
I hope so. But as I believe Pico said, I'm sure there are plenty of developers licking their chops at the opportunity and see the current destruction as an empty canvas. On one hand I'm sure it'll bounce back as an earner for the tourist economy which is essential to Maui, but are the right people gonna make out on it or will a bunch of outside investors capitalize on the opportunity?

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
The real time missing persons list. Might be helpful for anyone looking for info on individuals who were in the affected zones. The list paints a horrific picture of just how many people were affected by the fires and humanizes the tragedy in an unfathomable way. Prayers to everyone who was impacted.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WAA1iFGIOT7H3xJcr5aRgqVbUdwPnJkBolBc-eFFlJE/htmlview?usp=sharing&mibextid=Zxz2cZ&fbclid=IwAR1e3Q_hrulsSZnr-70TzjcXeT8NufsOWDGtp9nv34dt2UfruSTFoMDCTik_aem_AUF52zvKQFB7o2wbafstJwGGbCgNH-_KMN3x_5ABiM-KdsXO92KXXyZnWVbjP

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I called Uncle Stephen at HIC about something unrelated but asked him about Lahaina. He said all their employees are accounted for but 3 of them lost their homes. HIC for sure lost the shop in the Outlet Mall but they are still unsure about the Cannery shop.

Stephen said the response to their Maui Strong benefit T-shirt has been overwhelming so thank you to anyone that bought one. Part of the money will go to the employees that lost everything and the rest to victim relief funds.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Did the bayan tree get torched? It must have. From the photos it looks black, but can't tell much. I imagine that's not a species that has adapted to wildfires like a sequoia.

That went from a a slice of paradise to Dante's inferno overnight.

:cry::cry::cry:
Image below from here (click me).

The banyan tree in Lahaina has been scorched but still stands, according to the Honolulu Civil Beat. Damage to its trunk and limbs has been reported, along with serious damage to the surrounding Banyan Court Park.

While it is not yet known for sure if the tree will be able to recover, past efforts to restore the tree’s health have been successful, including the installation of an irrigation system by the Lahaina Restoration Foundation in 2000.

1691705516588.png

Reactions: bruhdakine

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Can't help but feel rage at the guys who drove past the woman, but we don't know the full context and what I would have done in that situation :(

Reactions: Mr Doof

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
The real time missing persons list. Might be helpful for anyone looking for info on individuals who were in the affected zones. The list paints a horrific picture of just how many people were affected by the fires and humanizes the tragedy in an unfathomable way. Prayers to everyone who was impacted.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WAA1iFGIOT7H3xJcr5aRgqVbUdwPnJkBolBc-eFFlJE/htmlview?usp=sharing&mibextid=Zxz2cZ&fbclid=IwAR1e3Q_hrulsSZnr-70TzjcXeT8NufsOWDGtp9nv34dt2UfruSTFoMDCTik_aem_AUF52zvKQFB7o2wbafstJwGGbCgNH-_KMN3x_5ABiM-KdsXO92KXXyZnWVbjP
That’s a lot of unaccounted for people.

RemyXO

Michael Peterson status
Mar 12, 2003
San Luis Obispo
Can't help but feel rage at the guys who drove past the woman, but we don't know the full context and what I would have done in that situation :(
I was thinking that too... I don't think I could just drive by and not at least quickly get out of the car to make sure she was dead. Maybe even throw the body in the back of your vehicle. Just terrible to think that perhaps she could have still had a pulse at that moment.

But, yeah, I don't know the context other than they were trying to GTFO as fast as possible with the fire bearing down on them.

Reactions: waxfoot

RemyXO

Michael Peterson status
Mar 12, 2003
San Luis Obispo
I've just been a visitor to Maui about a dozen times over 25 years, but man, I've had so many great times there in Lahaina. Terrible to see how the fire devastated it, and the people that have died and/or displaced.

I have, however, seen first hand how a destructive fire has pulled a community together, as I saw in Santa Rosa with the Tubbs fire. That whole residential community is re-built and I feel like there's a super strong bond between those that stayed and their love for the community. Maui for sure could do the same.

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
PSA

For anyone on or going to Maui, absolutely do not go sifting through wreckage, or walk in and around burnt down farmland and wooded areas. Looks like it burnt pretty hot which can lead to ash settling in depressions, dead trees which will fall eventually, landslides, and root balls that are gonna burn underground for possibly months. They might not have the fire personnel on hand to mark areas off yet, but just stay out of there.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
What a dick comment and I can tell you are trying to make up for it with your lame attempt to help with your shitty posts about donations later in this thread! Nobody wants your small weeping security Linus blankets nor your midget insert shoes…what a dick!
I posted that early in the thread mocking climate deniers here on the erBB. This was before I knew the extent of the tragedy . And yes I do regret it now seeing how bad things are. Anyway, I'm prepared to own my mistake, apologies to anyone I may have offended.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Thank goodness he is all good! I know this zone really well used to live up the hill, your friend better keep the hose going cause the fires live in the lava tunnels beneath everything there and including all the homes. There was a huge fire there at Kawaihae Harbor about six years ago, the flames went all the way close to where your friends house is, they thought they had all the fire out, and I could see flames coming from out of a lava cave about to light a bunch of Keawe trees, called the fire department they came and handled it, said they actually thought it was all contained...

Last edited:
Reactions: keenfish

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Ole mustve lost everything. I know his neighborhood went up and can only imagine his shop could not have made it due to location.
I was just reading watching all this, and wondering if launiupoko community was spared, I think Ole lived at the bottom of the hill there.
We lived at Puamana for a couple years, taught my daughter to swim at the pool watching my groms shred at pools, sessioned harbor every time it broke, kids at Sacred Heart school, so many friends, so many memories, what a magical place. Sorry for your loss, and anyone else affected by this disaster, Pico!

Looks like Ole is on the still missing list!

Last edited:

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Whew! Lots to read on this particular thread. Horrible and just devastating and, with the loss of lives.
It was the driving winds from Hurricane Dora that passed south of the Hawaiian Island chain that caused the main conflagration to Lahaina. Winds whipped over Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea on the Big Island of Hawaii contributing to the already dry areas of Waikoloa and Kohala that are buring now.
Driving winds continued after Hurricane Dora had pased to the South of Maui and Oahu then pushing into Haleakala and down the Alenuihaha Channel between Maui and the Big Island contributing to the firestorm that ravished Lahaina.
And Lahaina was once the capital of the Hawaiian Islands. It’s an old town built mostly of wood on wood on wood with some structures built illegally as add-ons. Gone are the days of Lahaina being a whaling port, yet the little harbor fronting the Pioneer Inn, in later years brought deep sea and visiting sailors from different ports of call. Gone, is the Lahania Yacht Club on Front Street where rowdy sailors congrigated for beers, grog and a pool table. Gone, are the festivities of Whaling Spree days only to be replaced by Halloween On Front Street.Gone is the Blue Max where you could hear many musicians on holiday drop in and pick up a guitar, sit down to a piano and enlighten patrons at dinner with songs for an hour or more.Gone is Jimmy Buffet and Cheese Burgers in Paradise. Gone is Bob “OLE” Olsen’s surfboard shop. Whats even more numbing is that a few folks of the erBB here have been touched by the Lahaina Fire so it’s even more heart retching for all of us here.

Keep Maui and Lahaina in your prayers and the folks that were lost ……

Last edited:

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I felt the same thing. It would have taken 20 seconds to pull her into the car.
That’s a tough one. It’s easy to play armchair quarterback and think we’d all be the hero in that situation while watching from the safety of our computers but the immediate danger they were in driving through those flames, seconds matter. Personally I’m not sure I’d share the video if it was me cause it is kind of a bad look. Prob hard enough to live with the fact that you left someone behind, but why share it with the world?