Fires in Maui

UFsurfer

Nep status
May 26, 2005
SATX
Don’t go to Maui right now, especially if you were staying in Kaanapali. Just don’t go.
Absolutely not going to, as far as we're concerned the local residents need the lodging in Kaanapali, not bozo tourists on vacation there for a good time. We called the travel insurance company this morning and according to them "they won't be refunding us because the winds are going to lay down in the next 2 weeks" :foreheadslap: I'm going to assume their phone reps got talking points from higher up and don't fully comprehend the situation there right now.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Absolutely not going to, as far as we're concerned the local residents need the lodging in Kaanapali, not bozo tourists on vacation there for a good time. We called the travel insurance company this morning and according to them "they won't be refunding us because the winds are going to lay down in the next 2 weeks" :foreheadslap: I'm going to assume their phone reps got talking points from higher up and don't fully comprehend the situation there right now.
Of geez that is unbelievable. Good on you - I hope the insurance company comes to their senses, realizes how heavy the situation is there right now and refunds you in full. I have Red Cross shelter training tomorrow night and then headed over. News seems to be getting worse by the minute :(

If anyone feels the need to do something, please consider donating to the Red Cross.

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Looks like a bomb went off. The crazy part is downtown Lahaina from what I recall doesnt really but up against any kinda wilderness. You typically assume with wildfires, at least here in California where CalFire has massive resources that these fires don’t make it very far into developed areas, particularly when you’re out of the hills and canyons country. Does Hawaii have limited resources when it comes to first responders?
This fire moved really really fast. Massive winds blew trees down into power lines that sparked fires that exploded in the 60+ mph warm winds and blew into a 200 year old town that was a big timber box in those conditions. Nothing any fire department could really do. Just the perfect storm of fire conditions. Very similar to fires in Oregon and California over the years.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Ole mustve lost everything. I know his neighborhood went up and can only imagine his shop could not have made it due to location.

• Sad
Reactions: PLJ

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Two islands with simultaneous fires? Seems a little suspicious.
Just stop. Intense winds blowing trees into power lines sparking multiple fires is not hard to comprehend. It's happened over and over and is why utilities in Oregon and California are working to be able to shut power down in the grid for stretches of time when fire dangers are high.

Mar 15, 2014
This fire moved really really fast. Massive winds blew trees down into power lines that sparked fires that exploded in the 60+ mph warm winds and blew into a 200 year old town that was a big timber box in those conditions. Nothing any fire department could really do. Just the perfect storm of fire conditions. Very similar to fires in Oregon and California over the years.
Camp Fire and Paradise was exactly what I was thinking of when I saw this happening.

Reactions: bruhdakine

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Who wants to live in a burnt out fire pit. They should just get a line of loaders like snow groomers and just do a grid pattern from Cannery to Pua Mana. It will never be the same. The history is gone with the exceptions of the Prison and the Courthouse walls which can be rebuilt. Im sure developers are looking at it salivating. The old charm is dead. New building codes dont allow you to build old buildings. It will look like the Stucco plazas in Paia. Maybe a Waikiki Royal Hawaiian 3 level super mall from Longhis to Lahainaluna. Gotta be glad you experienced Lahainas old plantation days charm. Its gone forever
Pretty much nailed it. Lahaina had a centuries old petina that cannot be rebuilt even if all the competing interests could somehow agree on how to do it. This is an incomprehensible loss.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Ole mustve lost everything. I know his neighborhood went up and can only imagine his shop could not have made it due to location.
That’s sad. That can’t be rebuilt. Big piece of history.

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Of geez that is unbelievable. Good on you - I hope the insurance company comes to their senses, realizes how heavy the situation is there right now and refunds you in full. I have Red Cross shelter training tomorrow night and then headed over. News seems to be getting worse by the minute :(

If anyone feels the need to do something, please consider donating to the Red Cross.
A group I know went over this morning from Wailuku to deliver supplies and donations. We just got here last night. Planning to get involved when and where it's appropriate.

Camp Fire and Paradise was exactly what I was thinking of when I saw this happening.
Same with the Beachie Creek and Holiday Farm fires in Oregon a couple of years ago that completely devastated the Willamette and Santiam river valleys.

Witchipoo

Michael Peterson status
Jun 16, 2010
East of Malibu
Just read through this thread and I feel like I got punched in the stomach. Just devastating. And I've never even been there.

Just . . . f*ck . . .Much love to everyone affected by this horror.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
It's been a long time since she's posted here but has anyone been in touch with @Piercer? When I met up with her years ago she was in downtown Lahaina. Hope she's okay.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
This is tragic on so many levels, most of all the loss of life. Brutal.

As a historic preservationist the loss is incalculable.

Did the bayan tree get torched? It must have. From the photos it looks black, but can't tell much. I imagine that's not a species that has adapted to wildfires like a sequoia.

That went from a a slice of paradise to Dante's inferno overnight.

:cry::cry::cry:

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
These guys are legit. They literally have pallets of medical supplies and pallet-sized generators in their warehouse ready to go; I understand there is will be no power at the Lahaina clinic for a long time and many pharmacies are wiped out.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Wildfires being pushed by 50+ mph winds are virtually unstoppable. If you've ever witnessed one you know how terrifying they are. All the firefighters in the world could not have saved Lahaina. It'll take time but it'll come back. They always do. It'll be different of course, but the people who ride out the next few years will end up with a special pride of ownership, and many solid relationships will emerge from this tragedy.