*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Good call to check, and that still leaves the Reno flight and Tahoe-assault idea intact, assuming the Tahoe mountains will keep spinning lifts and taking my money into late April and early May

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Might be pie in the sky considering how many trips I now have locked in between now and the end of June. Eleuthra May cramp my enthusiasm for an expensive long weekend out west. Snow trips with flights involved get spendy REAL fast. I think I spent like 4K on a weekend at squaw valley a few years ago. It was flawless t shirt spring riding but damn did I torch some cash

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Good call to check, and that still leaves the Reno flight and Tahoe-assault idea intact, assuming the Tahoe mountains will keep spinning lifts and taking my money into late April and early May
Heavenly added three full weeks to its schedule, with a new closing date of Sunday, May 7.

Reactions: Subway

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I did 5 days in Utah for WAY less every year for the last 6
Oops missed 1 for pandemic reasons
Airbnb isn’t that expensive
Park city might be but staying in the burbs on the other side is very reasonable

Reactions: Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I might even be able to get a nice guest room at my friends place. I don’t like house guesting per se but she has a dope house in park city village or wherever

I also have a very good friend (90 minutes south of SLC) but that brings long day drives and uncertainty into the mix.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
SLC is really unmatched for its proximity to so many great resorts. But lately I hear the traffic getting up the canyons keeps getting worse and worse with iKon. Almost have to commit to one mountain and pony up and stay slope side at this point to dodge the traffic.

Reactions: npsp and Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
SLC is really unmatched for its proximity to so many great resorts. But lately I hear the traffic getting up the canyons keeps getting worse and worse with iKon. Almost have to commit to one mountain and pony up and stay slope side at this point to dodge the traffic.
If I do this that would likely be the pricey but by far most efficient way to guarantee 2 solid days of riding before flying home

my friends are California upper central mountain growers who grew up. Now my homie is director of grow ops for a big commercial grower nearby, and they’re building a cool little pocket farm (for food and flower production, not cannabis) at their new homestead. While they are not even religious let alone Mormon they are surrounded (and welcomed by) their new Mormon neighbors. And I think my buddy’s wife might join the local church as a community participation thing. I guess some modern mellow Mormon communities are fine with non believers joining the church simply for the community involvement.
I can imagine his wife walking that fine line. But my homie, as diplomatic and likable as he is, will likely never set foot in a Mormon anything. The wife will handle that aspect of community relations. My buddy, even with a sort of “corporate” cannabis job (with a big title and a great paycheck for rural Utah) is a life long burning man and wild man. His hairstyle alone would likely summon the ghost of joe smith himself were he to enter a temple

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Hit the road early and you’re fine
Well, maybe that’s just the 4 non powder days this year that I was there for

But if you hit the road early it’s fine
And That canyon drive is beautiful

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Reactions: manbearpig

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
It seems like everywhere is getting bombarded this year. Looking forward, what does all this snow mean for the Colorado River system?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Thursday at Kirkwood was a diamond in the rough. I knew there would be residual powder from previous storms but so much better than expected. Wall was closed but everything else was open. Foot+ of fresh powder on top of everything else, some tracks here and there but overall there were goods everywhere. Was in great mental rhythm on what would get tracked when and got a lot of good powder runs, lap after lap and mountain was pretty much empty. Wife decided to try skiing as snowboarding was being stagnant/regressive and clicked pretty well after a couple lessons. Kids had lessons too that day so yeah, Thursday was a great day. Powder was a first for the kids too.

And on Friday I found out my kids are becoming park and powder fiends. What monster have I created in my son - he is developing an eye for side powder/hits on trails, and is gradually learning how to spray people. He probably got the idea after I dusted him and his sister. Good times. Mountain was also empty that day too. Regardless, anything prominent was tracked/crudded out by end of that day.

Knew Saturday would be crowded AF and it was; were on it, though. Lot of Bay Area kookery. Wish they would all stay at Squaw/Heavenly/Northstar like they used to. Warm day - weather forecast lowballed it big time. So stellar and a lot of powder still left in trees. Even so, prime time to pull the "You shoulda been here the day before yesterday".

Best part was the kids' progression run by run, ability to control speed, and their extreme stock.

Epic trip but no pics. :roflmao:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yea doesn’t the slow melting process of allllll of that frozen water ensure that more water actually makes it into the aquifers and reservoirs? As opposed the flooding rains which quickly flood the creeks and canyons and rush out to sea? I think I read that here so it must be true. If true this will at least put a m dent in the water shortage, if only a reprieve from the larger systemic issues

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
If I do this that would likely be the pricey but by far most efficient way to guarantee 2 solid days of riding before flying home

my friends are California upper central mountain growers who grew up. Now my homie is director of grow ops for a big commercial grower nearby, and they’re building a cool little pocket farm (for food and flower production, not cannabis) at their new homestead. While they are not even religious let alone Mormon they are surrounded (and welcomed by) their new Mormon neighbors. And I think my buddy’s wife might join the local church as a community participation thing. I guess some modern mellow Mormon communities are fine with non believers joining the church simply for the community involvement.
I can imagine his wife walking that fine line. But my homie, as diplomatic and likable as he is, will likely never set foot in a Mormon anything. The wife will handle that aspect of community relations. My buddy, even with a sort of “corporate” cannabis job (with a big title and a great paycheck for rural Utah) is a life long burning man and wild man. His hairstyle alone would likely summon the ghost of joe smith himself were he to enter a temple
Does he have a burning man name? I heard all the cool kids at burning man use different names on the playa bro.

It seems like everywhere is getting bombarded this year. Looking forward, what does all this snow mean for the Colorado River system?