Ok so, I asked for the pitch, I was curious, and I signed on the dotted line

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
The Crest Private surf club is a hell of an offer, if they do it right. And all signs point that way. Founding membership. Decent size initiation, reasonable monthly dues, maybe like a modestly affluent country club. Not a mega rich resort, but something nice. open air, heated warm water year round. 65-70 in the winter…. They can change the wave‘s size, shape, and type, on EVERY WAVE, with a couple of buttons. 1 clean wave per 20 seconds, an average session with multiple members in rotation- 8 to 10 waves an hour. Unlimited sessions, very limited guests passes, and all the modern trappings of a private club. Restaurant, gym, lounge, work space….I will literally spend four days a week there, having a session, work a few hours, have another session. maybe a work out (or not, after all I’ve been surfing 7 foot barrels for hours by that point…)

and if it’s lame And a waste of money? I get my initiation back. This could make my final handful of years in the corporate world pretty damn fun. I just have to show face in mid town a few days a week. Hell this might make me want to stick around a few more years than I have been envisioning.

flame away if you must, but YOLO and I want a private wave pool membership and these guys were nice enough to build one 45 minutes from my house.. ground has broken, the are building the pool first so next year the founding members can take several sessions and decide if they want to go through with it or not. Even get the deposit back

so, this won’t happen for a year, but, there will be pics and snacks when it does

ps I do not work for them nor are they a client. It sounds amazing, and if it is, stocked beyond belief

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
The advertising looks pretty slick, if you got the money and can afford to loose it,, why not?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Keep in mind too I’m 43. I’m not a young guy that needs to be core anymore. I’ll still travel the globe and build our dream house in nica, but, for the time being, it will be nice having waves every day of the year to keep me nimble for the 50 decent/fun/all time days we may get in a normal year

. If surfing has been my driving purpose in life, and all the work and everything else is really just a means to surf more, and live a happy life, then I’d be a fool not to do this. Unless the wave sucks, then forget it. But if it’s a fun barrel with smackable sections, and the variety is cool and the vibe and facilities are decent, it’s a no brainer. I’m their target demo. I don’t imagine a bunch of random beginner finance guys going out there to try be cool surf finance bros. Shirley is pretty far from the city. It will likely be normal adult surfers from across central and western long island with at least some disposable income that want to surf a lot more than a few times a month.

I mean, I know plenty of firemen and union guys who have plenty of cash, have been surfing their whole lives, and would gladly do this. Those guys are generally normal to hang out with and surf. I don’t see this being a whole Silicon Beach thing. I didn’t hear read or see the word “network” in the material…

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
The advertising looks pretty slick, if you got the money and can afford to loose it,, why not?
Carpe diem

as @Random Guy once wisely told me “money is all just blips and dots on a screen, none of it really matters as long as you‘re reasonably happy, most of the time”

When I told my wife I was pulling the trigger, she questioned it a bit and said well what about building the Nicaragua house and saving money and all of that?

and I said honey, that house will get built with a big sales year, and/or renting our home for a few summers, it ain’t going to be built a few dollars at a time, which is really all the dues are. A house in Nicaragua wont even really be needed for several more years. We may even fall in love with another place, and sell our lot in Iguana. Who knows what we will be doing and/or thinking in 5 years. But I DO know that right NOW, in the moment, I can spend some hard earned money on guaranteed great surf all year round.

she quickly agreed to that logic. and She actually lit up when she heard they can also deliver 1 foot perfect little beginner waves for her

if the wave sucks or the whole place is cheesy, then it’s back to flat spells, cold close outs, and puppy kicking

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
ok, so how much? or is it in poor taste to ask?

Edit: also, feel free to tell me it's none of my business.:poke:

probably so IRL but since this is the erBB, any attempt at good taste is likely doomed anyway:shrug:

Last edited:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
35k initiation, 1500 per month. Initiation can be broken in to 3 parts. 10% deposit, then 2 lump sums when the club opens

membership will be capped for many obvious reasons, so when you decide you’re done, they resell your membership and give you the $35k back. No interest or cap gain though, so even if the new initiation in 5 -7 years is $50k, I still only get my $35k.

if the whole thing goes belly up, hopefully I will have gotten a few years in, and that 35k is gone. That’s out of my control and a risk I’m comfortable with for an opportunity like this. i don’t think this place will fail. They have 100 founding members already, and are selling about 50 more founding memberships. Make that 49.

I don’t think they will have trouble re selling my membership in 7 years, and what a treat to get my 35k back just in time to make the move to semi permanent residence down south. That will pay for my obligatory hilux

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Oh sh!t. I cant help but hate. I suspect its gonna end up being a wave like American dream in jerz for a bunch of reasons. They will spend a sh!t ton on the club but not what they really need to on the wave. And for the record American dream is dogshit. And this is the best case scenario. More than likely once the reality of this failure becomes apparent all the deposits are going to disappear and some of the founders are going to be very hard to reach. I would have figured your sales experience would give you a nose for scams...that said I have a map of a secret left hand point under the Verrazano bridge I will sell you for cheap

toPBk

Miki Dora status
Mar 27, 2002
North Pacific Beach, CA
Oh sh!t. I cant help but hate. I suspect its gonna end up being a wave like American dream in jerz for a bunch of reasons. They will spend a sh!t ton on the club but not what they really need to on the wave. And for the record American dream is dogshit. And this is the best case scenario. More than likely once the reality of this failure becomes apparent all the deposits are going to disappear and some of the founders are going to be very hard to reach. I would have figured your sales experience would give you a nose for scams...that said I have a map of a secret left hand point under the Verrazano bridge I will sell you for cheap
Does it break any harder than Ft. Poi_t?

LeeD's Dogsitter wants to know

• Haha
Reactions: bruhdakine