How’s the stock market?

lruc

OTF status
Nov 10, 2016
The past 40 years I dont think any depositor got hosed for funds . I brokered govt bonds for 20 years , witnessed some real blood but to my knowledge depositors were made whole . FDIC used receiver certificates temporary but I dont recall the F U . Cont Illinois , Wash Mutual , 1st Rep , Indy Mac , American S and L , Bank of New England all were 20 bil plus . Wash mutual was 300 bil .

Reactions: Aruka

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
The bank did fail.

The government covered the losses of the customers.

The galloway podcast was good.
Yeah, it did fail.

Imagine being so bad at your job, the govt takes you over.

But even those entities with over $250K got bailed out. Maybe that is what he is on about.

Anyway, part of me really likes the making the average Jane whole within the whole FDIC thing (born out of the Great Depression, right?) and to a lessor degree, rescuing some small companies (under $50 million), and then there is the 'contagion' thing that needs to be nipped in the bud.

But this is super similar to 2008/2009, and here we are again. I hate having to help pay for other people/companies learning the same thing over (and over) again.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
The past 40 years I dont think any depositor got hosed for funds . I brokered govt bonds for 20 years , witnessed some real blood but to my knowledge depositors were made whole . FDIC used receiver certificates temporary but I dont recall the F U . Cont Illinois , Wash Mutual , 1st Rep , Indy Mac , American S and L , Bank of New England all were 20 bil plus . Wash mutual was 300 bil .
Did yu get rich?

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
People that say "let the banks fail" out of spite or class jealousy don't seem to appreciate the ramifications of bank failures. Runs on banks is one of the most psychologically contagious pathogens in existence, and can easily bring down the whole banking system. When that happens, the economy just shuts down. We all remember 2008 but read up on what went down in 1929-33.

It is of utmost importance that we do whatever it takes to keep the banking system alive and working. Of course tighter regulations and good management greatly reduce the need for the government bailing out their sorry asses!

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
People that say "let the banks fail" out of spite or class jealousy don't seem to appreciate the ramifications of bank failures. Runs on banks is one of the most psychologically contagious pathogens in existence, and can easily bring down the whole banking system. When that happens, the economy just shuts down. We all remember 2008 but read up on what went down in 1929-33.

It is of utmost importance that we do whatever it takes to keep the banking system alive and working. Of course tighter regulations and good management greatly reduce the need for the government bailing out their sorry asses!
Make those who privately benefitted pay into the settlements at a massively disproportionate amount.
If you earned off of them, your next tax bill is going to hurt...

Obviously impractical, and ultimately the money just gets shuffled into anonymity, but it's nice to dream about accountability.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
The traders made the loot , I facilitated trades .In the 80s traders wanted secrecy to move positions .Trades were executed at multiple brokers while they dictated price and what they would pay u .
Cool! It must have been like the film Trading Places :) It teacherd me all the one lesson I needed to sukceed in life. Don't be black and poor.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Yeah, it did fail.

Imagine being so bad at your job, the govt takes you over.

But even those entities with over $250K got bailed out. Maybe that is what he is on about.

Anyway, part of me really likes the making the average Jane whole within the whole FDIC thing (born out of the Great Depression, right?) and to a lessor degree, rescuing some small companies (under $50 million), and then there is the 'contagion' thing that needs to be nipped in the bud.

But this is super similar to 2008/2009, and here we are again. I hate having to help pay for other people/companies learning the same thing over (and over) again.
Yeah.

But are you surprised it happened?