*** Official Fin Thread ***

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I've ridden the mediums as a thruster in my new stepup and they felt great but slid out when pushing hard through turns. Large's aren't as spicy but I'd rather go for hold on that kind of board.

Ridden the mediums with 3.75 quad rear on my 6'1 round and it felt great. Need to try as thruster on that board next.

I really like neutral templates and that one feels good.

So I swapped out my KC fins for medium 2 juans and I actually like the kc mo betta. Mayeb it was the conditions but the KC's felt more crisp and snappy. The trailing edge is definitely sharper/more refined.

I know you all probably don't care. I'm just babbling and making noise.

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
So I swapped out my KC fins for medium 2 juans and I actually like the kc mo betta. Mayeb it was the conditions but the KC's felt more crisp and snappy. The trailing edge is definitely sharper/more refined.

I know you all probably don't care. I'm just babbling and making noise.
Large KC’s are pretty close to the accelerator, right?

I remember Retodd saying something about thinner tipped fins (like True Ames thruster sets) going better in good waves

Reactions: Aruka

Brsnstein

OTF status
Jul 28, 2018
SoCal
Comparing the TA fins I have to similar futures fins, the TA fins all have more cant. The first JJF fins (black, blue and yellow) also have more cant than the current version.

Reactions: sdsrfr

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
Comparing the TA fins I have to similar futures fins, the TA fins all have more cant. The first JJF fins (black, blue and yellow) also have more cant than the current version.
Strange that they don’t mention the extra cant, that makes a huge difference.

Are the jjf’s more of a step-up fin, or do they go in everyday stuff? Price of entry is pretty steep these days.

Brsnstein

OTF status
Jul 28, 2018
SoCal
Strange that they don’t mention the extra cant, that makes a huge difference.

Are the jjf’s more of a step-up fin, or do they go in everyday stuff? Price of entry is pretty steep these days.
I guess it depends on what you like. I tend to prefer stiffer fins and like the JJFs in everyday conditions, especially there’s some curve or push. More flex might be better in softer, flatter conditions.

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
Question. I saw some non-brand name fins for futures boxes same template as f6 and same hex material except that the foil is just slightly thicker throughout. What impact would that have on how they feel? See link below

I remember GG saying something about thicker fins "acting" bigger , all other things being equal

Reactions: Aruka and MACSAN

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Different color:
View attachment 149011
@oeste858 any update/feedback on your set?
Not more than initial impressions, only two surfs and waves didn’t allow for many turns or maneuvers. Didn’t do anything funny or unpredictable; seemed like could be a good match for Lightbender fish. Want to try a roundpin more like Wildcat. Outta town this week, but hope to give them another go next week.

Reactions: sushipop

encladd

OTF status
Oct 8, 2019
Not more than initial impressions, only two surfs and waves didn’t allow for many turns or maneuvers. Didn’t do anything funny or unpredictable; seemed like could be a good match for Lightbender fish. Want to try a roundpin more like Wildcat. Outta town this week, but hope to give them another go next week.
Reckon they're worth sticking in the Plasmic?

Reactions: oeste858

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Anyone try these? I like riding a big gun in OH waves for the rail drive, and I thought these might loosen it up.

middleWave

OTF status
Sep 17, 2010
Taiwan
just scooped a set of Large H4 thrusters for $30 off, couldn't resist. now looking at a set of Medium MFeb's (Captain Fin) for my Future's board. anyone have experience with either template?

i'd like to put in a good word for the FCS2 Accelerators in PCC. the Medium set worked great until i knocked the center fin out. and it was screwed in :foreheadslap: no idea how that happened. any advice on quad rears that would work well on both the Accelerators and the H4s?

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Anyone try these? I like riding a big gun in OH waves for the rail drive, and I thought these might loosen it up.

i had a set for a while. i used them in a 6-6 Allan Gibbons that was setup NPJ quartet style. they felt good in that scenario. I never really rode them in other boards although I wish I had. I ended up selling them to a friend who runs them in his quad fish and seems happy with how they perform. he's a smaller guy.

I think my hesitation with running them in a big step up would be the amount of force those big twins put on the fin boxes. probably not an issue for your intended use but just something to consider.

Reactions: Maz