The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Been wearing a need 5/4 NE winters - on its second season, plenty warm in all but the absolute coldest days (High 30's water below 20's air - I still surf just not much more than an hr). Pee in it multiple times every session. If I couldnt pee in my suit I dont think I would be able to surf. Sidebar dont buy any used wetsuits from me.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
O’Neil MT Hyperfreak Fire 3/2+ chest zip [ that’s a mouthful ] works like a charm. Plenty warm in around 55 degree water. Stayed out twice as long as I have been lately with the old leaky Hyperfreak. The material in the Fire version is a little thicker around the core and it’s a bit tighter in the shoulders. Easier to put on and take off though.

Reactions: SurfMission

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I’m starting to get used to an attached hood on Isurus 3mil full (less than 10 sessions so far). This morning I went no earplugs with the hood and it barely let any water in at all. My hair was practically dry after I got out. Didn’t expect that.
I’ve worn my 3.3 Shield hooded ZF about 25 times now. I like the hood when the air is under 50 degrees and offshore wind.

I find if it’s lully and I’m waiting and chatting, my jaw gets sore (teed that one for ya). Luckily the hood doesn’t bother me (oh geez, another…) so I’m good surfing for hours with the hood around my neck.

I’ve gotten more used to getting the hood/zipperless panel off, but it’s still a pretty good neck tweak.

I picked up a TI Evade 4.3 CZ today to put into the rotatation. It’s substantially heavier than the Shield 3.3mm.

Reactions: SurfMission

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Haven’t really noticed the pee sticking around more in Yamaha moto neoprene

first winter in my Matuse and isurus:

matuse: light, warm, water tight. Dries extremely fast.

cons: not as flexible as the isurus. A bit stiff in the chest around the zipper

isurus 3mm hooded shield

good: most comfortable wetsuit I’ve ever owned with the best warmth/flexibility in a wetsuit I e ever experienced.

the bad: sbd’s bad luck strikes again. Leaks pretty bad. All over. Flushes but that may be due to the fact that I maybe should have ordered a large instead of large tall. I guess I’ll get to test their warranty once this cold snap is over. Bummed cause of all the people I e talked to with zero complaints of leaking and some on their 5th year in suit.

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Haven’t really noticed the pee sticking around more in Yamaha moto neoprene

first winter in my Matuse and isurus:

matuse: light, warm, water tight. A bit stiff in the chest around the zipper. Dries extremely fast.

cons: not as flexible as the isurus.
isurus

good: most comfortable wetsuit I’ve ever owned with the best warmth/flexibility in a wetsuit I e ever experienced.

the bad: sbd’s bad luck strikes again. Leaks pretty bad. All over. Flushes but that may be due to the fact that I maybe should have ordered a large instead of large tall. I guess I’ll get to test their warranty once this cold snap is over. Bummed cause of all the people I e talked to with zero complaints of leaking and some on their 5th year in suit.
That’s a bummer. Supposedly there was a bad batch where seams weren’t glued properly.

They have a newish factory in China and they’re heading over there in the next few weeks to try to address the QC issues. I know they’re bringing at least one sample suit to show them.

Not sure what model yours is or if it was made in Thailand or China, but I’m sure they’ll get you sorted.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
My needs essential 5/4 doesnt have a seam across the shoulders like my xcel suits do and it is amazingly flexible - I will never buy a suit again that has that seam across the shoulders. My 5/4 feels more flexible in the chest than my 3/2 xcel comp suit lol

Reactions: Aruka

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Is that the one with smooth skin only on the back?

My needs essential 5/4 doesnt have a seam across the shoulders like my xcel suits do and it is amazingly flexible - I will never buy a suit again that has that seam across the shoulders. My 5/4 feels more flexible in the chest than my 3/2 xcel comp suit lol

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
A little late review but…
Bought a Hyperflex Vyrl hooded 4/4 this fall, finally wore it once winter hit.
Immediately upon walking out in waist deep water on its very first session I noticed seeping at the upper inner thigh area on both legs, almost as bad as my 2 year old Rip Curl Dawn Patrol 3/2 (low end suit).
I guess fortunately it seems (no pun intended) to somehow improve as the time in the water goes on. Not sure if I just get used to the continuous seep of water or if the neoprene expands a little once it gets wet and seals off the seam a little better (? just a farfetched theory, I’m probably wrong).
I’m used to wearing low end suits so it keeps me fairly warm for 90 min+ sessions, so it‘s not terrible. Just having a leak like that on the very first session was a let down.
Might try and send it back before the 1 year warranty is up, although I’m not even sure what they might do. I got what I paid for I guess.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2022
fark man. 3 mm isurus hood... no bueno. leaks all over. took a good head dive on an overhead closeout and took a 50 gallonn flush to the whole body. hood cinch was tight too. i'm so pissed cause without the leaks and flushing it's insane. SBD bad luck is hear agsin
I like my Evade 4/3. It doesn't flush per say, but it's not as sealed at the wrist/ankle cuffs. It's way stretchier material and I have thin wrists/ankles though.

That plus their lack of response to emails plus quality issues lately plus their moving manufacture to China = maybe not worth the price tag. Need a second suit, and I think I'm gonna try something else. Maybe even custom.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
fark man. 3 mm isurus hood... no bueno. leaks all over. took a good head dive on an overhead closeout and took a 50 gallonn flush to the whole body. hood cinch was tight too. i'm so pissed cause without the leaks and flushing it's insane. SBD bad luck is hear agsin
That stinks. Ours were the same batch so I guess I can expect leaks imminently. Mine has felt good so far but I haven’t used it much yet. I haven’t had flushing through hood or chest. The chest cinch issue seemed to be resolved with their addition of the little extra piece that someone (maybe @ChaseTMP ?) on here lost on day 1. Shame quality seems to have dropped with the move to china production.

Reactions: ChaseTMP and sdsrfr

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
There's like an inch and a half where the vulcanized chest panel is separating from the non-smoothy neoprene above it on my Drylock. It's still warm and comfy, and this is easily fixable and doesn't seem to matter because it's almost never under water, but I have probably used it like 10 times so kind of new for this to be happening.

Celiant Black liner is pretty dank though. Seems to dry at warp speed.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
What's warmer than a 5/4 hooded Psycho Tech? It's OK but on a warmish 45 degree air/water day, not as toasty as my old Drylocks. But the new Drylocks seem to leak more. On a really cold day, I suspect I would not last more than 45 minutes.