Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
These look nice.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
you seem to switch up templates quite a bit if I'm not mistaken. I wonder how everyone else is? I tend to stick with one or two templates and they fall within the same category (neutral). I tend to dislike rake fins and I haven't really felt the need to try pivot fins on my boards in the last few to several years.

do you switch up fin template types in the same board or are there certain bpards you like rake fins in and boards that like neutral, etc?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
you seem to switch up templates quite a bit if I'm not mistaken. I wonder how everyone else is? I tend to stick with one or two templates and they fall within the same category (neutral). I tend to dislike rake fins and I haven't really felt the need to try pivot fins on my boards in the last few to several years.

do you switch up fin template types in the same board or are there certain bpards you like rake fins in and boards that like neutral, etc?
For thrusters I mostly go raked templates. DHD is my go to. Jordy's if I feel like I need a little more fin like in a wider tailed board. I think I just like the drive and hold of more raked templates. Sometimes, in certain boards, I feel like I should probably be on something more neutral though. The new Stamps 6-6 for instance I think might be good with a more upright/neutral template since it has plenty of drive and hold built in.

My go-to for step ups used to be the TP1's which are a Pivot template but always felt pretty balanced to me. I don't have the TP1's anymore, they were in my previous Stamps 6-6 that got stolen. I never really liked the old colorway on those fins but I think I like the new ones even less.

Super upright pivot fins like the p8's can be fun in certain boards/conditions but I feel like they are inconsistent for me. I'm either shredding the tightest turns of my life or sliding out and kooking it.

For quad fins I'm all about the uprights though.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
For thrusters I mostly go raked templates. DHD is my go to. Jordy's if I feel like I need a little more fin like in a wider tailed board. I think I just like the drive and hold of more raked templates. Sometimes, in certain boards, I feel like I should probably be on something more neutral though. The new Stamps 6-6 for instance I think might be good with a more upright/neutral template since it has plenty of drive and hold built in.

My go-to for step ups used to be the TP1's which are a Pivot template but always felt pretty balanced to me. I don't have the TP1's anymore, they were in my previous Stamps 6-6 that got stolen. I never really liked the old colorway on those fins but I think I like the new ones even less.

Super upright pivot fins like the p8's can be fun in certain boards/conditions but I feel like they are inconsistent for me. I'm either shredding the tightest turns of my life or sliding out and kooking it.

For quad fins I'm all about the uprights though.

Reactions: johnson7 and Aruka

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I wonder how everyone else is?
Mostly conditions-dependent. Most of the time Duval County's problem is it's sort of flat-faced and soft. So I mostly use an assload of rake like the Jordy or the CI. Gets and holds speed. More distance per pump, holds speed in a bottom turn around a section or a roundhouse. I use big keels in sh!t like Bean Bags, GG G10 keel, or the NVS Stampy, sometimes with little side bitey quad trailers. Goes fast and projects in logmush.

If it's a little steeper I use the F8 or Pyzel. Sometimes when I'm riding a small-average wave shortboard with 0 fear of redlining it, on the small side of the board's sweet spot, I'll use the Roberts Large. Lots of sweep but a little undersized, so it's more responsive and tight radius than Jordy but projects a better than the F8.

Some boards (Baby Buggy) the bigger swept fins don't really make it any faster down the line, just less responsive/quick. Sub Driver and Puddle Jumper HP go fast and carve great with swept fins and get snappier with upright fins.

GG thruster/quad set have gone good in every board but seem to like clean conditions vs very stop/start surfing hopping around the chop.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Have you tried the TA version? They are quite a bit bigger than the Futures.
HEIGHT: 4.625" / 117 mm
BASE: 4.50" / 114 mm
AREA: 16.20"² / 104.5 cm²

Futures version are only 15.27" of area.

I found some True Ames KC in my giant box of fins. Going to try them in the 6-6 next. I used to like them when I was like 15 lbs. lighter...

• Wow
Reactions: johnson7

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Have you tried the TA version? They are quite a bit bigger than the Futures.
HEIGHT: 4.625" / 117 mm
BASE: 4.50" / 114 mm
AREA: 16.20"² / 104.5 cm²

Futures version are only 15.27" of area.

I found some True Ames KC in my giant box of fins. Going to try them in the 6-6 next. I used to like them when I was like 15 lbs. lighter...
These side bites are the TP template. Shhhhh…..

i used the smallest ones in my padillc.

I can send them to you if you want. i think they are the smallest but could be the mids.

• Love
Reactions: Aruka and sdsrfr

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
@Duffy LaCoronilla thanks man. I already have more fins than I know what to do with.

Its started storming again and im such a fuggin junky that when I cant surf i just nerd out on fins and various other surf related paraphernalia.
Come on, man. I need to make space for another set of fins for a board that I’m going to buy as soon as I see one I want!!!!

Aug 6, 2008
Anyone know a similar fin to the Futures SA3?
been my go to for a superbuzz for the last 10 years and just got a new one and didn’t love the board with the Rasta twin