What should America do about the childhood obesity epidemic?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I’m not being facetious
but I’m not one of the people that thinks shaming works

i do not believe in healthy at any size
i do not believe people who might look better if they lost a few pounds are all unhealthy
i do not believe that overemphasizing looks is a positive thing

but I do think people should be educated on what obesity does the ones body

make it about health, not looks
use education, not shame
I don't think people shame to make people skinny. I think it's an expression of disgust.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
this is a HUGE problem for alcoholics...the social pressure

it sucks.

at work events I just have the bartender put soda in a rocks glass with a lime and call it a gin and tonic

imagine if your friends simply respected your choice...or were appropriately indifferent seeing as how it doesn't really have any effect on them.....

;)
There are guys around here who don't drink. They will be at my friend's house. I will wait until they leave and start pounding, just out of respect.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
We have a couple of groups of friends that love to go out to eat. We do too. However, a couple of them like to have a couple of drinks and 2-3 appetizers before they order the main course. Then they have desert....They are also over weight, have health issues.... and act disappointed when we don't join them on their meal before their meal. How can you eat >2K calories at night without feeling like sh!t?

Reactions: Ifallalot

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
We have a couple of groups of friends that love to go out to eat. We do too. However, a couple of them like to have a couple of drinks and 2-3 appetizers before they order the main course. Then they have desert....They are also over weight, have health issues.... and act disappointed when we don't join them on their meal before their meal. How can you eat >2K calories at night without feeling like sh!t?
Do you even Cheesecake Factory, bro?!

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I salute you for having fat friends.

You are a better man than I.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
this is a HUGE problem for alcoholics...the social pressure

it sucks.

at work events I just have the bartender put soda in a rocks glass with a lime and call it a gin and tonic

imagine if your friends simply respected your choice...or were appropriately indifferent seeing as how it doesn't really have any effect on them.....

;)
Man, I just don’t even GAF anymore at social events. im all garrulous and facetiously smug “I haven’t had a drink in years, i was a drunk headed for an early grave” and move on. That usually shuts them up and there is no talk of “why aren’t you drinking man?”. Tell a few war stories even, loosen things up with a gnarly drunk and drug tale from the 90s. Tell ‘em about that time you smoked heroin with a guy who became a famous writer, and your cred is established :roflmao: :roflmao:

it so much more normal now. People usually have a few or even several sober friends/family and won’t even bat an eye, you often MEET other people who have put the bottle down themselves, and for those few randoms (usually drunk or drunk-adjacent themselves) who still have some cute stupid quip or remark, fukk em. they cease to exist until further notice

but yes fully agree, as a newly sober or person trying to get and stay sober, the social aspect is a brutal one. I always advise “make it as easy as possible”. Even if That means saying no to some or most social events, and anything too uncomfortable, for a few months or even a couple years, then by all means do so. Staying sober is hard enough in this cocktail-party world. Don’t make it harder by being that guy who tries to “make the scene” and feel pressure to re establish either a work or social life without booze. Take your time. Build a foundation and get used to your new self..

You’re worth it:)

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Who exactly is supposed to "fix the food"? We cant tell corporations to stop engineering and marketing addictive foods. That would infringe upon their right to seek profits.
Parents can fix the food that they feed their kids and themselves.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Then you would be wrong. OBVIOUSLY, our bodies don’t metabolize all foods the same way.
No, I'm not, because in the overall context you are splitting hairs and ignoring the driving factors. Of course there are foods with a higher thermic effect, but when it comes to the grossly obese that is not the driving factor. When calories are controlled, changing the composition of that caloric balance and food choice is not the difference between being a healthy weight and being obese. The net change on caloric output (aka metabolic rate) via food choice is minimal in comparison to the effect of total calories.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Parents can fix the food that they feed their kids and themselves.
Sure, that seems to be working out great. Obviously I think people should eat healthy and feed their kids real, healthy food. Me thinking that seems to be making very little difference in solving this societal obesity problem.

Ifall says all the oil and sugar in food is poison. Should corporations be allowed to market poison to us? To children?

Last edited:

Lance Mannion

Duke status
Mar 7, 2009
In Gods Country
I'm just old enough to remember when some assclown claimed we were going to run out of food by 1980.

Now, I see fat people, everywhere, and they're generally not well-to-do.

This dude somehow still has a job at Stanford.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
When calories are controlled, changing the composition of that caloric balance and food choice is not the difference between being a healthy weight and being obese. The net change on caloric output (aka metabolic rate) via food choice is minimal in comparison to the effect of total calories.
High fructose corn syrup, a very common substance in processed foods, is metabolized as a toxin. Leafy greens, on the other hand, are not.

So whatdaya think, grape, is a person fed leafy greens more or less likely to gain weight than a person fed highly processed food? I suspect you would say there would be no difference if they were fed the same amount of calories, right?