Potential Move to Puerto Rico

Nov 30, 2022
Charleston
Visiting for a month in february and staying with a friend, haven't been in 20+ years...now that my job is remote im considering moving from SD to isabela PR and building a house. Lots look like a reasonable price about 5 mins from Jobos and from what I can tell its fairly safe.

Any tips for the trip? anyone know anyone who was moved down there before? Will I like the surf there much better than NCSD?
Hello @gerry, Nice to meet you!! I am matt..Just joined this community. Would love to share my thoughts on it.

before that would like to say have a great time in Isabela!!

Isabela is the kind of destination to just enjoy the ride, with breathtaking oceanfront vistas, lush, breezy mountains, tropical rainforests, and one of the Caribbean's coolest culinary scenes.

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Scored a couple of insanely cheap tickets to PR today. Direct flight for $79 per person round trip. Probably going to get an airBNB somewhere down the hill from your hood Ulu for this trip.
Nice, have a link?

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
NM found a round trip deal in earl feb for $149...may just pull the trigger

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Nice, have a link?
Spirit airlines. They suck but they run direct flights from Philadelphia to San Juan. The trick is to go to the airport and buy at the ticket counter rather than buying on the website. They use a 3rd party for the website who takes a slice. Saved $92 by buying the tickets at the local airport even though I will be flying out of Philadelphia.

• Wow
Reactions: MathDebater

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
NM found
Spirit airlines. They suck but they run direct flights from Philadelphia to San Juan. The trick is to go to the airport and buy at the ticket counter rather than buying on the website. They use a 3rd party for the website who takes a slice. Saved $92 by buying the tickets at the local airport even though I will be flying out of Philadelphia.
Nice, yeah I'll be flying into Aguadilla so it's a little more...insane deal.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
NM found

Nice, yeah I'll be flying into Aguadilla so it's a little more...insane deal.
I've done that flight a few times but try to avoid it for a couple of reasons. Flying out of AC or Philadelphia it connects in Fort Lauderdale and lands at 2:30 in the morning. When flying with board bags I try to avoid switching planes to minimize the risk to the boards. I'll gladly pay more for a non-stop or in this case land at an airport a 2 hour drive away so I can avoid layovers and changing planes.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
Visiting for a month in february and staying with a friend, haven't been in 20+ years...now that my job is remote im considering moving from SD to isabela PR and building a house. Lots look like a reasonable price about 5 mins from Jobos and from what I can tell its fairly safe.

Any tips for the trip? anyone know anyone who was moved down there before? Will I like the surf there much better than NCSD?
What's the latest update?

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Jet blue has a direct to Aguadilla every morning. Not that I used that flight at all this winter :foreheadslap:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
Jet blue has a direct to Aguadilla every morning. Not that I used that flight at all this winter :foreheadslap:
For me, the drive to JFK to take one of those flights is two and a half hours if I'm lucky. Jet Blue's board bag fees are a deal breaker too. $100 per board each way if they crack open my bags is a risk I'm not taking. American or reluctantly Spirit for me.

By the way, on my last Spirit flight, when I purchased my tickets at the ticket counter I pre-negotiated and pre-paid my board bag fee and got them to put a note in their computer system for my flights down and back so their could be no BS at the airports on travel day. I let them know I would be travelling with one big bag with all of the boards in it and cloaked it under it being a lot safer for the boards which it is. Stuffed five boards in one bag.

Last edited:
Reactions: Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah jfk would do you no good I was just rubbing it in ;)

actually I was drinking coffee and sh!t posting :)

Jul 18, 2018
For me, the drive to JFK to take one of those flights is two and a half hours if I'm lucky. Jet Blue's board bag fees are a deal breaker too. $100 per board each way if they crack open my bags is a risk I'm not taking. American or reluctantly Spirit for me.

By the way, on my last Spirit flight, when I purchased my tickets at the ticket counter I pre-negotiated and pre-paid my board bag fee and got them to put a note in their computer system for my flights down and back so their could be no BS at the airports on travel day. I let them know I would be travelling with one big bag with all of the boards in it and cloaked it under it being a lot safer for the boards which it is. Stuffed five boards in one bag.
I can confirm; Jet Blue will open your bag, count the boards, and charge accordingly. I didn't know this going in so brought 2 boards plus my buddy's.
That flight is convenient but the board bag fees definitely add up. Last time I went I think about half of my airfare was in board fees:foreheadslap:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I can confirm; Jet Blue will open your bag, count the boards, and charge accordingly. I didn't know this going in so brought 2 boards plus my buddy's.
That flight is convenient but the board bag fees definitely add up. Last time I went I think about half of my airfare was in board fees:foreheadslap:
So weird I’ve flown jet blue a million times and they have never once opened my bag. They just charge me the $100. I always keeps at least two or three in the chamber, in case you pondering

not disputing you either I have heard many tell tales of such rapacious bag openings by spiteful jet blue desk agents who stand to gain literally nothing by opening the damn bag. Just click “surfboard” and charge what you are required to charge for ONE board if you must (big airlines are basically done with steep board fees, jet blue is an anomaly now) and go about your day sir and or ma’am and or their or whatever the fukk your pronoun is and stop shaking me down any further than we already are for your corporate masters

FTR I love capitalism and the miracle of modern affordable air travel, despite the unwashed hoards who may now actually afford a ticket

IMG_0056.jpeg

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
This is why subway won't go to Giants games unless he's in a skybox with a bidet shaped precisely like Brian Daboll's bald ass dome.
I don’t even know who that is and yes I could easily google but me actually not knowing something is novel enough to savor the moment :) :eek: :foreheadslap:

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
What's the latest update?
latest update: signed all the loan documents which was a disaster. Californian bank was slow as turtle and full of issues. Dealt with CRIM and finally got land title, paid municipal taxes, and got permits fully Issued. Construction starts next week!

going back down in end of June or early july.

was there for about 3 weeks working on stuff, went to a wedding vacationed with family etc…

got back to California and have my first round of Covid after 5 weeks away