Poast your strenf training program

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I'm not clear on what the exercise is supposed to do?? Scott Herman is a content creator....that's how he earns a living so there is always going to be something new from him that you must be doing.....but bending over backwards doesn't do anything. There was a bit of isometric holding in the quads but you could get that in the same degree from just stooping....although the quads are such a massive and active muscle grouping isometric work for them isn't really something you would deem necessary.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I'm not clear on what the exercise is supposed to do?? Scott Herman is a content creator....that's how he earns a living so there is always going to be something new from him that you must be doing.....but bending over backwards doesn't do anything. There was a bit of isometric holding in the quads but you could get that in the same degree from just stooping....although the quads are such a massive and active muscle grouping isometric work for them isn't really something you would deem necessary.
Like I said no scientific proof but after 30 I can feel the burn in back calfs and almost same flex feeling I get between squats and lunges so I continue. One thing note I have good leg strength plenty of muscle to keep toned so I am not trying to build new muscle.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
All I'll say is this. Scott Herman is a nice guy with an awful Boston accent. His squat PR is 375 pounds and he grinded it the whole way. This puts him in the range of an advanced female lifter. Watching the lift I could make the case that if he knew how to squat he may have been able to touch 400. Not I guy I would generally take information too seriously....the upside is he does have a following and without him they would be sitting on the couch all day. I would rather someone do back bends and shitty squats than nothing because the positive health benefits are off the charts better.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
All I'll say is this. Scott Herman is a nice guy with an awful Boston accent. His squat PR is 375 pounds and he grinded it the whole way. This puts him in the range of an advanced female lifter. Watching the lift I could make the case that if he knew how to squat he may have been able to touch 400. Not I guy I would generally take information too seriously....the upside is he does have a following and without him they would be sitting on the couch all day. I would rather someone do back bends and shitty squats than nothing because the positive health benefits are off the charts better.
Just a video on proper technique far from inventor of sissy squat but see what you mean as well. I also see this a lot in work outs, strengthen etc one thing works or seems to work for others and not evrryone " one size does not fit all". I like to put my eggs in many baskets and hit same muscle group different angles etc and try to stick with what works for me. I am sure my curls and tricep lifts would not be as efficient for others etc. This is why I hit same muscle group twice week and always do different lift technique etc.
Monty Woolford
was a competitive 'Silver Era' bodybuilder back in the 50's and 60's and was the inventor of the Sissy Squat exercise. The name Sissy Squat actually originated from Monty stating that the movement would make a sissy out of the lifers that only performed the back squat.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Just a video on proper technique far from inventor of sissy squat but see what you mean as well. I also see this a lot in work outs, strengthen etc one thing works or seems to work for others and not evrryone " one size does not fit all". I like to put my eggs in many baskets and hit same muscle group different angles etc and try to stick with what works for me. I am sure my curls and tricep lifts would not be as efficient for others etc. This is why I hit same muscle group twice week and always do different lift technique etc.
Squats do not train quads well for a large number of people which is why the leg press and hack squat machines were invented. To be clear - I'm talking about hypertrophy training, not strength training. I find the land mine hack squat to be an ok substitute for machines when training at home. I'm going to get a 10 degree slant board and cambered bar for back squats with quad emphasis.

If you have no equipment, a sissy squat is definitely better than nothing, but it's a high skill/high balance move. Again, it's for quad hypertrophy.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
This is just another exercise. Let's say you have no equipment and want to train legs 4 days a week. Lunges 4 days a week?
I don't think your legs care. Muscles adapt to stress caused by contraction against resistance. The angle or method doesn't matter. It's simply muscle fibers contracting against resistance. It's why the "you must be doing this exercise" bullshit is so silly. Complicating a movement doesn't change a thing. It's still muscle fibers contracting against resistance.

If someone enjoys the challenge of a complicated movement and this complication helps drive adherence than I'm a huge fan of whatever it is. Me..I'm looking for bang for the buck and time economy.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I don't think your legs care. Muscles adapt to stress caused by contraction against resistance. The angle or method doesn't matter. It's simply muscle fibers contracting against resistance. It's why the "you must be doing this exercise" bullshit is so silly. Complicating a movement doesn't change a thing. It's still muscle fibers contracting against resistance.
Stretch under load also produces hypertrophy, which is why you don't want to cheat on reps. ROM also matters - you're doing more work with the muscle the more it lengthens and contracts. This is just force x distance. Consequently, exercise selection and ROM matter. The more you can get your quadz into a stretch under a bigger load, the more they'll grow. This is why they invented the leg press - it takes the weak point (your back) out of the exercise and allows you load/stretch quadz better.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Stretch under load also produces hypertrophy, which is why you don't want to cheat on reps. ROM also matters - you're doing more work with the muscle the more it lengthens and contracts. This is just force x distance. Consequently, exercise selection and ROM matter. The more you can get your quadz into a stretch under a bigger load, the more they'll grow. This is why they invented the leg press - it takes the weak point (your back) out of the exercise and allows you load/stretch quadz better.
Stretch under load is just force resistance. Without resistance the stretch becomes hyperextension. It works similar to isometric......my preference is to do tempo movements for this purpose because I think they work better that isometric and are more enjoyable to me.

I disagree that exercise selection matters only because that is a big blanket. Range of motion matters albeit weighted towards strength development so selecting exercises with a full range of motion is important...but beyond range of motion the only reason to choose one exercise over another is personal preference.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Stretch under load is just force resistance. Without resistance the stretch becomes hyperextension. It works similar to isometric......my preference is to do tempo movements for this purpose because I think they work better that isometric and are more enjoyable to me.

I disagree that exercise selection matters only because that is a big blanket. Range of motion matters albeit weighted towards strength development so selecting exercises with a full range of motion is important...but beyond range of motion the only reason to choose one exercise over another is personal preference.
No, the degree to which you can load an exercise to load a targeted muscle group is huge and more than just a matter of preference. This is a matter of physics, which is the point I was making about the leg press. If you only want to high bar back squat, fine, but - as Dr. Squat said quoted in SPST - the quads aren't that active in a squat unless you have anthropometry like Tom Platz. This may not matter to you - you only want to build strength in the squat. However, as Rip, Israetel and several others have said, hypertrophy helps your strength and can be improved changing rep range AND exercises. There's also the matter of adaptive resistance - you build more as you continue to use the same exercise.

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
restarted lp and my lifts are so weak fml. some gym moran was usinng 2 squat racks to do surplus deadlifts. one side of bar on one platform and the other on the one next to it. all this while some girl is trying to use one of the platforms for squatting. u can't make this sh!t up. i want to start a new insta called creatures of golds gym...

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
No, the degree to which you can load an exercise to load a targeted muscle group is huge and more than just a matter of preference. This is a matter of physics, which is the point I was making about the leg press. If you only want to high bar back squat, fine, but - as Dr. Squat said quoted in SPST - the quads aren't that active in a squat unless you have anthropometry like Tom Platz. This may not matter to you - you only want to build strength in the squat. However, as Rip, Israetel and several others have said, hypertrophy helps your strength and can be improved changing rep range AND exercises. There's also the matter of adaptive resistance - you build more as you continue to use the same exercise.
I don't think you understood my response. I agreed with you with some added nuance. Of course changing from a barbell squat to an isolation exercise for the quads will help in quad size development. My point was that all exercises that isolate the quads are equal if ROM is the same, and that the only deciding factor in isolation exercise choice is personal preference.

I do disagree that the quads aren't that active in the squat. You have 100% motor unit activation in the quads throughout the squat exercise. Squats are a great exercise for quad hypertrophy program provided you program them correctly (try a Hatfield squat with a SSB and see how it feels). It's a mistake to try and hypotrophy a movement when hypertrophy is based on a number of variables and is more complex than isolation and high reps. An important component of hypotrophy training is grouping muscle groups together while controlling for overall fatigue. But I'm not saying is that a bodybuilder doing a show prep should be focusing all his attention on the low bar back squat.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
restarted lp and my lifts are so weak fml. some gym moran was usinng 2 squat racks to do surplus deadlifts. one side of bar on one platform and the other on the one next to it. all this while some girl is trying to use one of the platforms for squatting. u can't make this sh!t up. i want to start a new insta called creatures of golds gym...
I'm just getting back into a normal program this week as well. Today I pulled a set @375 that felt like 475. While this has been my longest layoff my experience is that it comes back quickly.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The Hatfield squat is a pro-tip, thanks. You're de-loading the erectors with upper body assistance while overloading the QUADZ. This one is good too - it puts your back at a more upright angle while overloading your quadz.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I don't know if I would feel safe doing them that way. The SSB balances on your back perfectly, plus the pad adds some grip and friction. I would just do high bar lunges if you wanted something similar.

I like the Hatfield squat as an accessory because you can meter the intensity if you are focusing on specific volume and trying to manage fatigue but you could try the dumbbell Bulgarian split squat and use your resting foot/leg to push and pull your position to sort of do the same thing.

Reactions: PRCD and Havoc

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I bought the eliteFTS SS yoke bar. If Hatfield invented this exercise, it’s good enough for me.