Tomo MPH

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I think it has more to do with straighter lines in the rocker and outline (parallel rails) which has less drag and therefore more speed. Still surfs in the pocket well though, maybe aided by the v?

schex

Miki Dora status
Jun 9, 2015
OB/Point Loma
I know two guys who have them - and they both like the board but told me they cannot decide on going quad or tri? Or maybe which they liked better
I do both on many of my boards, it just depends on conditions

Oct 5, 2021
I don't even think it qualifies as an MPH
The bottom has a lot of vee
Used it yesterday in waist high, caught one wave and couldn’t believe speed and flow from such a small wave, it is more efficient than my conventional shaped boards so I think it has some mph genes in it for sure, but haven’t ridden Vader/vanguard type boards to compare.against those

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
@schex Tomo describes a modern planing hull as very "parallel in the outline" and a rectangular shape - wide nose and short. I don't think having a concave bottom is a requirement of a Modern Planing Hull?

I definitely think the Revo qualifies as a "Planing Hull" design because it has a blunt nose, is wide, and short. The hydroshort is a good example of what is not a MPH design.

Reactions: schex

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
The Revo isn't particularly wide, at least in relation to volume, if that's a meaningful relation. It's actually slightly narrower than a cymatic.

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
Counterpoint; I borrowed a buddy’s for a session and I think there’s just too much going on in this version. I had an XTr Revo, which I loved. But the new ones extend the narrow channel almost all the way to the nose, and the spine set in channel is really extreme. It’s not a V, that would rock a straight edge back and forth, it’s a straight up spine.

I’m glad you guys are stoked on yours; and I’ll be first in line if I can get an old version from xtr again. But I think this new bottom is going to make the unique design/feel of tomos maybe a little more (too) unique.…whether that’s good or bad is in the eye of the beholder.

im scared to say this, since there’s a whole thread now of people yelling at each other about FireWire, but I will say the new construction felt way better to me than the helium. I rented a dominator2 after I snapped a board traveling. Great shape, but man is that helium stuff insanely buoyant. The Revo construction felt much damper (in a good way).

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
The new iBolic tech is very good! Good flex. Good durability. Good weight.

I do agree that the new Vee Quad Concave (VQC) takes some adjusting. I personally didn't like it at first, but after about a week I started to understand the Vee and what the Vee was doing, when to push and how to approach the wave... and then boom! It became so much fun!

I still think a regular concave and QISC have their advantages and place in the quiver, but for right now the VQC feels very good!

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
@schex Tomo describes a modern planing hull as very "parallel in the outline" and a rectangular shape - wide nose and short. I don't think having a concave bottom is a requirement of a Modern Planing Hull?

I definitely think the Revo qualifies as a "Planing Hull" design because it has a blunt nose, is wide, and short. The hydroshort is a good example of what is not a MPH design.
Not to get pedantic, but if the spine (vee) really goes that far forward toward the nose like @spjones123 says… I don’t see how it wouldn’t be a displacement hull rather than a planing hull. In the literal sense of creating a break and displacing the water- even if maybe not in Tomo’s definition of an “MPH” outline. Wonder what planing hull guru RK would think.

Reactions: j_mac and SD_Dan

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Not to get pedantic, but if the spine (vee) really goes that far forward toward the nose like @spjones123 says… I don’t see how it wouldn’t be a displacement hull rather than a planing hull. In the literal sense of creating a break and displacing the water- even if maybe not in Tomo’s definition of an “MPH” outline. Wonder what planing hull guru RK would think.
I thought the same thing and asked the same question. Its interesting to discuss.

...I will say that the even though its a deep Vee, the channels do provide lift that is very noticeable when your riding it.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Vee Quad Concave rather than a straight vee so it's more of a hydroplane creating lift rather than the drag of a straight vee, I'm thinking.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
So many options the new site, I think Tomo should do a video to explain! Its very similar to the XTR website with a nice little drop down menu for all the options. You can even get his old logo on there too!

PU Poly, PU Epoxy or EPS Epoxy.
VCQ, QISC or No Channels.
Carbon strips on top and bottom or straight stringerless.
Only option they didn't add was color, but I'm sure you can order once the order is placed.

Freakin stoked on this site! He also added "El Tomo Grande" for the blokes that like a longer board.
Smallest is 6'2 x 18 1/2 x 2 3/8 x 29.6L. :oops:

Here is Tomo riding the El Tomo Grande at the Pier in Oside. :cool: :jamon:

IMG_3085.jpgIMG_3086.jpgIMG_3087.jpgIMG_3088.jpgIMG_3089.jpgIMG_3090.jpgIMG_3091.jpgIMG_3092.jpgIMG_3093.jpg

Last edited:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
So many options the new site, I think Tomo should do a video to explain! Its very similar to the XTR website with a nice little drop down menu for all the options. You can even get his old logo on there too!

PU Poly, PU Epoxy or EPS Epoxy.
VCQ, QISC or No Channels.
Carbon strips on top and bottom or straight stringerless.
Only option they didn't add was color, but I'm sure you can order once the order is placed.

Freakin stoked on this site! He also added "El Tomo Grande" for the blokes that like a longer board.
Smallest is 6'2 x 18 1/2 x 2 3/8 x 29.6L. :oops:

Here is Tomo riding the El Tomo Grande at the Pier in Oside. :cool: :jamon:

View attachment 142931View attachment 142932View attachment 142933View attachment 142934View attachment 142935View attachment 142936View attachment 142937View attachment 142938View attachment 142939
Meh, I liked the Grande better when it was called the Glydra :p