Poast your strenf training program

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
If your back hurts when you are crouching you are relaxing your abs and losing core stability. It's pretty common in that position to expand your abdomen for bracing rather than flexing it.
The Doctor is in! Been missing your input here.

My low back begins to hurt towards the end of my surf sessions, which are now about two hours, as opposed to three+ in the past. But the last four or five go outs it has been cramping from the start. And my back hurt the evening after the crouching little tube fest.

I’ve been advised to tense my core during pop ups, but I really can’t think when I surf. My only hope is to increase my strength outside of surfing and hope that carries over and protects.

Last edited:

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
welcome back . . . have you been in a coma? :unsure:

In Europe for the better part of three months working..then spent most of the last month finding out how underrated the Caribbean is for surf from PR to Dominica. I got absolutely pounded in Guadeloupe. Went almost 4 months without touching a barbell but my push up and pull up game is off the charts.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
If your back hurts when you are crouching you are relaxing your abs and losing core stability. It's pretty common in that position to expand your abdomen for bracing rather than flexing it.
I agree with this. I learned early grab backside airs on transition on my skateboard this year which requires crouching right down to hold the board. The landing places some strain on the back and I make a point of tensing the abs - it just doesn't feel safe for my back if I don't.

@One-Off I think you have an issue with this sort of conscious/intentional core protection when surfing as you like to go by your instincts/auto pilot. Well I don't have an answer to your dilemma other than that if you are serious about protecting your back then force yourself to relearn some habits. Once relearned these things become semi-reflex actions, however periodic self checks to keep the form up are required - at least for me.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
The Doctor is in! Been missing your input here.

My low back begins to hurt towards the end of my surf sessions, which are now about two hours, as opposed to three+ in the past. But the last four or five go outs it has been cramping from the start. And my back hurt the evening after the crouching little tube fest.

I’ve been advised to tense my core during pop ups, but I really can’t think when I surf. My only hope is to increase my strength outside of surfing and hope that carries over and protects.
Hollow body position helps you control your lower abs when you are moving dynamically

Or course, I'm not doing them.

But they really help core control.

I've been wearing a weight belt loosely and I use as a cuing device to brace at the gym.

When you brace around the core correctly your spine feels bullet proof.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I would just try and make it habitual. Actively tense your core when doing anything that makes you bend forward. Tying your shoes, reaching for something etc.
I started doing roll outs this year to add to my core excercises.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
What are your thoughts on farmers/side carries VM?
I'm assuming you aren't planning on competing in a strong man competition otherwise my answer would be different.

If you enjoy them do them. They aren't more or less effective than proper training when corrected for compliance. IMO they are a solution searching for a problem. if a person is following a well programmed training regime than just adding non specific load to the body is a waste of time and if you consider your time valuable. If you're a gym bro and spending a lot of time with kettle bells of dumbbells and focusing on biceps and pecs and don't want to touch a barbell....I would recommend them.

Reactions: freeride76

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
They are a motherfooker but effective.
I am not sure if I should work my way up but what caught my eye was standing roll out watching a boxer do it with ease. I tried and failed big time. I am careful with technique and do 30 reps on knees all the way out arms fully extended and on 30 I hold for 30 seconds.
1669911557804.png1669911558157.png

Last edited:

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Hollow body position helps you control your lower abs when you are moving dynamically

I've been wearing a weight belt loosely and I use as a cuing device to brace at the gym.

One of the habits belts cause is bracing against the belt rather than squeezing the abs. This causes some lifters to have to really squeeze their lower back muscles to hold their spine in position. This can cause overextension of the lumbar spine and spasm of the muscles of the lower back. A loose belt is a good cue. I've had lifters including myself do a lot of work without a belt and concentrate on squeezing the abs....then reintroduce the belt and the change is pretty radical in body position especially at the bottom of the squat.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

I do those and bridges in the evening if/when I watch TV. I'd found the couch was bad for the back, so I started lying down on the floor.

Right now I have a barbell day (Friday) and a body weight day ( Tuesdays- push ups, pullups, ab roller, YTWs, side planks, mountain climbers). That is interspersed with 2 running days (Monday- 4 miles with sprints and Wednesdays- 8-13 miles), a weekend hike (4-6 miles) with the family.... and surf whenever there's surf, which there hasn't been much of the last couple weeks in the South Bay except shoulder high close outs or knee high tubes.

On body weight day I also started doing tube stance squats. It's more a stretch thing, to get/keep the body used to accessing that position . I will say that coming up, out of the tube squat, with my rear leg in a valguns postion, feels like it puts a very different stress on the muscles around the knee compared to a normal squat where you keep your knees pushed out.

Doing whatever I can....

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
They are a motherfooker but effective.
I started doing roll outs this year to add to my core excercises.
I watched this video (below) when I got the wheel. Pretty much says the same thing.

One thing that jumped out to me this time was him saying "..to maintain a tightened core to prevent a quick, fast, over extension." I think my issue is over flexion. The day I fked up my back (now almost three years ago) was at the end of a 3 day tube fest.

Last edited:
Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I do those and bridges in the evening if/when I watch TV. I'd found the couch was bad for the back, so I started lying down on the floor.

Right now I have a barbell day (Friday) and a body weight day ( Tuesdays- push ups, pullups, ab roller, YTWs, side planks, mountain climbers). That is interspersed with 2 running days (Monday- 4 miles with sprints and Wednesdays- 8-13 miles), a weekend hike (4-6 miles) with the family.... and surf whenever there's surf, which there hasn't been much of the last couple weeks in the South Bay except shoulder high close outs or knee high tubes.

On body weight day I also started doing tube stance squats. It's more a stretch thing, to get/keep the body used to accessing that position . I will say that coming up, out of the tube squat, with my rear leg in a valguns postion, feels like it puts a very different stress on the muscles around the knee compared to a normal squat where you keep your knees pushed out.

Doing whatever I can....
Try sissy squats I alternate weeks doing them with dumbbell squats and lunges and side lunges 2nd leg day in week.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Why would someone do those?
Hockey players I have seen doing them usually and even seen another variation I would never consider doing:drowning: The guy did kinda a knee burpee with dumbbells:socrazy: My thoughts on why: a sport or activity you constantly change direction fast ie: hockey, skateboarding, surfing etc. I can see how you can really fuk yer self but I am careful with motion and technique and seems to build strength in my legs.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Hockey players I have seen doing them usually and even seen another variation I would never consider doing:drowning: The guy did kinda a knee burpee with dumbbells:socrazy: My thoughts on why: a sport or activity you constantly change direction fast ie: hockey, skateboarding, surfing etc. I can see how you can really fuk yer self but I am careful with motion and technique and seems to build strength in my legs.
...but what is the purpose?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
...but what is the purpose?
Strengthen knee off balance or strengthen balance is what I get out of it with no actual data to bqck it up accept my own work out. I like to use many different lifts or excercises into my routine to try and cover more ground to help strengthen and hopefully make my knees hold up longer. Currently for knees do: squats week A sissy squats week B. Lunges A and side lunges B. I also do 5 reps 6 sets MTThF leap frog 24" (h) table. I do more conditioning lifting then full on strength always using dumbbells careful with technique.