The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I have one of these and like it. FWIW, I wear MT's in pretty much all brands (except Rip Curl which are always too short in the arms) and this jacket was way too small in MT. It's still a little tight in a large.
IMHO you want vest and rash guards tight no pull ovrr head etc after thrashin':drowning: I would rather have hard time puting on and taking off then to lose:shaka: I wear MS in o'neill, bong, and patguchi so go "m" for vest etc...

Reactions: ChaseTMP

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Someone should try the Mollusk suit. Seems like a decent value at $250 for CZ 4/3. It got a good review from Frodo Mikey in the Stab wetsuit challenge thing. Minimal branding. Considering one as my backup to rotate with my beloved Isurus.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Replaced my torn up smoothskin 1/4 back zip Xcel top with one of these.

Not as warm but good top. I'm medium in everything and this medium fits fine.

Amazingly hard to find a simple top with a trunk tie and a waist cinch which are pretty essential unless you want the top ripped over your head at some point.

Not cheap but my hyperfreak has waist cinch and trunk tie on.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Replaced my torn up smoothskin 1/4 back zip Xcel top with one of these.

Not as warm but good top. I'm medium in everything and this medium fits fine.

Amazingly hard to find a simple top with a trunk tie and a waist cinch which are pretty essential unless you want the top ripped over your head at some point.
You get 1mm or 1.5mm for me biggest difference was I went long sleeve for extra sun protection and seems to be warmer then my short sleeve which is the cheaper model forget name:shrug:

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Someone should try the Mollusk suit. Seems like a decent value at $250 for CZ 4/3. It got a good review from Frodo Mikey in the Stab wetsuit challenge thing. Minimal branding. Considering one as my backup to rotate with my beloved Isurus.

if you buy me one I’ll give it a go

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
Just copped a 5/4 matuse for 260 with expedited shipping. I was hesitant but I already have a good Feral winter suit and just needed a backup to rotate into the mix. I didn't want to spend a ton, and I am not the biggest fan of that style of chest closure but for the price this suit seemed worth the gamble. Curious to see how it goes. Will have to try my best to refrain from riding the hipster boards while wearing it or indulging in vegan treats post session.

Used the code vintage20 for extra off the price they have listed

Reactions: Aruka

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Just copped a 5/4 matuse for 260 with expedited shipping. I was hesitant but I already have a good Feral winter suit and just needed a backup to rotate into the mix. I didn't want to spend a ton, and I am not the biggest fan of that style of chest closure but for the price this suit seemed worth the gamble. Curious to see how it goes. Will have to try my best to refrain from riding the hipster boards while wearing it or indulging in vegan treats post session.

Used the code vintage20 for extra off the price they have listed
Dante? curious about those too

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Here I am with the attention to details again and possibly another stoke killer. But the Dante has the long outdated pattern cut in the ass. The one where you have a seam running directly along your ass crack. It goes right down the middle from your tail bone to your marble sack. That seam could be toast in a few sessions just by sitting on your board. There’s a reason wetsuit designers have moved on from that pattern years ago. Ultimately YMMV, but just something to be aware of

Last edited:

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
Here I am with the attention to details and possibly a stoke killer again. But the Dante has the long outdated pattern cut in the ass. The one where you have a seam running directly along your ass crack. It goes right down the middle from your tail bone to your marble sack. That seam could be toast in a few sessions just by sitting on your board. There’s a reason wetsuit designers have moved on from that pattern years ago. Ultimately YMMV, but just something to be aware of
Agreed. The failure of that seam is always the kiss of death on the xcels I've had. Hopefully this one gets me through the winter with no cold water grundle rinses. If I was certain that I was staying in the Outer Banks after this year, I'd have sprung for something nicer.

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Here I am with the attention to details again and possibly another stoke killer. But the Dante has the long outdated pattern cut in the ass. The one where you have a seam running directly along your ass crack. It goes right down the middle from your tail bone to your marble sack. That seam could be toast in a few sessions just by sitting on your board. There’s a reason wetsuit designers have moved on from that pattern years ago. Ultimately YMMV, but just something to be aware of
that’s a hipster cut bra

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019

I used one of their 3/2 back zips this fall on a trip. Gotta hand it to Mollusk, they know their audience: the surf artiste. The fit, as Mikey pointed out, is tight and skinny. Especially around the neck. As a closeted Mollusk fanboy, it shouldn't surprise you that I once owned a turtleneck sweater, so I was well prepared for this velvet strangler. The back zip dangle is kewl and distinguished without being flashy -- surely designed by someone with taste (and an overwhelming amount of art school debt). There were zero issues with flushing -- even after the neck stretched out to a comfortably snug fit. Warmth-wise, I can't give a clear answer there. I was freezing the entire trip (in and out of the water), and was coming off the flu. But I'd be surprised if it were as warm as the top shelf competitors.... especially for its $185 price tag. That being said, it's an insane value and it'll be perfect for warm summer days up here.

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
After 199 pages of discussion, how long do *you*(not directed to anyone in particular) expect a new 3/2 fullsuit to last if used 1-3 times a week?

I'm old school, and expect a new fullsuit to last 2-3 years.

Reactions: sh3

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
After 199 pages of discussion, how long do *you*(not directed to anyone in particular) expect a new 3/2 fullsuit to last if used 1-3 times a week?

Rinse them, hang them correct and dont yank, pull overly hard on material and seams. Will last if you start with a decent suit.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

Depends on what temps.

I'm in the water 3-4 days/week if there's waves and I do long sessions.

I don't need a 3/2 til it's below 62 or 63 degrees and I'l wear it til around 57.

A typical OTR 3/2 will last me one season (and maybe uncomfortably into Nov/Dec of the next), and I'm like the Patrick Bateman "morning routine" guy of wetsuit care.

Custom from Japan will last me about 2.5 seasons for those temps.

Because the OTR brands are making suits thinner (less warm) now a lot of guys are wearing 3/2s in the mid 60s. I could probably get 3 years out of and OTR suit and 6 years out of a Japan custom at those temps.

Reactions: jkb and MathDebater

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I'm noticing the wetsuits people are buying here are getting cheaper. <$300 for a fullsuit lol someone is making a KILLING in the long run.

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California

We should really be talking in seasons (3 month periods).

I wear a 4/3 six months out of the year and a 3/2 the other six months.

My Japanese suits are lasting 4 seasons surfing 3-4x per week.

I'd be lucky to get half that from the Taiwan made suits.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
We should really be talking in seasons (3 month periods).

I wear a 4/3 six months out of the year and a 3/2 the other six months.

My Japanese suits are lasting 4 seasons surfing 3-4x per week.

I'd be lucky to get half that from the Taiwan made suits.
A $1,000 wetsuit that lasts 4 seasons is less wasteful than a $500 wetsuit that lasts 2. If it were that simple I would much prefer the high cost/high longevity choice for my hooded winter wetties. My cheap summer 3/2 suits do last me about 4 seasons due to only getting about 3months use a year and I'm also rotating 2 or more. So happy with the cheap option for summer.

I would like a Japanese suit, but their websites are not set up for international order. Mellow wetsuits look really cool with nice colour choices, but website in Japanese which I can't navigate.

Reactions: jkb

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
The problem in the northeast is that the custom japanese suits are warmer and more flexible than anything else - but last about the same as any other brand. Getting one winter season (Dec- April more or less) out of a suit for 1k or $350 is a pretty easy choice for me. If the Japanese suits lasted longer I would drop the money no problem.