Tavarua end of November

spenat

Nep status
Feb 11, 2008
Brooklyn- Manhattan beach
anyone been on the shoulder season? trip planned end of November

Just trying to figure out what boards to bring, obviously will check forecast and see

right now 6-o flyer, 6-2 ghost and ???

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
I went during late November some years back, we were fortunate to be able to surf small to medium sized Cloudbreak 7 out of 8 days and the other day the guides took us to Desperations which was really fun, head high plus peaks breaking on a reef in the middle of the ocean. I rode a 6' 0 thruster every day except one evening during a rainstorm, when it was kind of pulsing and I was tired from 6 days straight and I rode a 6'8 step up. Kind of bummed that we didn't get it big, but since we went for free I can't complain. It is one of the most beautiful places in the world and the Fijians are just awesome. Even if the surf isn't great it is a great trip, fishing, diving, paddleboards, etc.
One great memory was after the kava night ceremony we went back and played music with the locals and kept drinking kava for hours and hours.

br cb tav.jpg

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
Same experience here. Pretty flatt so just surfed small cloudbreak like that photo and Desperations was def bigger but shape wasnt too good. I was so amazed looking at the reef and the colors there! And caught one big one.
Anyway, what i came here to say is the guy having the most fun at cloudbreak was on a performance fish looking board. Goin fast, making and hitting sections because , yes, at that size not all waves were peeling along that perfect reef, believe me. I wished i had my quadfish that day.

have fun

Reactions: MathDebater

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
This morning, for the first time, I looked at the forecast. Crrraaaaaaappppppp

Putting the old adage to the test: "There's no better place to get skunked." Will report back.

No need to pack a step up, even. Ugh.

Edit: By the way, it's FIRING right now. :trout:

• Wow
Reactions: MathDebater

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
1. I agree with @mundus - it won't be huge, but at least there will be something to surf. Despo's here I come! (Kidding... a bit)

2. I will be hitting up Dylan @Hdip . Actually looking forward to it!

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Sitting at the airport - having scored the upgrade to 'business class' with the wifey. STOKED on the trip already. Hoping hoping hoping Didn't bring any 'step ups' even, just two shortboards (CI & Tomo). Hoping hoping hoping - had a buddy send me a note today he surfed Despo's at just OH and barreling. Despo's may be the call.

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
You are Just gonna miss my old pal Mike D who finished his month as a boatman today. Per his report “Some good days for sure . First 2 weeks of October were great, fun size cloudbreak 4-5, and several glassy restaurants days, 2-3. Last 2 weeks pretty slow, been surfing despos.” Good luck.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
You know Candice & Nick?! Candice and I are OLD friends from junior high and high school. Classic. And yep.., they were there.

We didn't score, but it didn't suck. Learned some new things about my boards & preferences, too.

Reactions: spenat

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
You know Candice & Nick?! Candice and I are OLD friends from junior high and high school. Classic. And yep.., they were there.

We didn't score, but it didn't suck. Learned some new things about my boards & preferences, too.
Where's the foil recap? :)

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Exactly - school supplies for the kids & hair stuff for the girls/women. Also bought 1 bunch of kava for Aca & the men.

Last edited:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
You are Just gonna miss my old pal Mike D who finished his month as a boatman today. Per his report “Some good days for sure . First 2 weeks of October were great, fun size cloudbreak 4-5, and several glassy restaurants days, 2-3. Last 2 weeks pretty slow, been surfing despos.” Good luck.
I know mike D.. nice guy. He was there when we went in 2019

the ladies LOVE the beauty products and dryers/hair brushes etc. stacks of colorful mixed sized t shirts were a big hit (Luke at LB surf shop sold me like 20 for 5 bucks a pop- you may even have seen staff members wearing brightly colored “LB Surf” logo tees lol), and school supplies.. and some cava for the kitty