Traveling to Indo - Taking Boards (advice on what to look out for)

LarryTate

Nep status
May 7, 2012
Traveling to Indo during summer and I've got a few questions for the Jedi travelers.

1) I've only taken surf trips where I've basically had direct flights, so no need to transfer planes. However this one appears I'll have to fly from LAX into another country (Japan, S. Korea etc), then a flight into Jakarta, then Padang. If I'm flying into another country (let's say in Japan), am I having to pick up the boards at the airport, then run them through the boarding process again on the next flight to Jakarta (which may be another airline as well)? Or does the "luggage" typically have a final destination tagged to it (based on my destination) and it makes its way alone?

2) I want to bring an 8'0" single-fin as a second board. I've been seeing some chatter though about boards over certain lengths (typically 7'6") sometimes being an issue with some of the smaller plane flights in/around Indo. Anyone dealt with this issue? I don't mind paying extra for the "larger bag" but I don't want to be sitting in another country (Jakarta as an example) with a board they won't let on the plane down to Padang.

Any general feedback would be appreciated.

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
1) If you have a connecting ticket with say Singapore Air from LAX to Jakarta you will not have to get your checked bag and go through customs with it when landing in your layover country(since theres no direct from LAX to Jakarta). If you purchase a ticket to Singapore on Singapore Air and then another ticket on another airline to Jakarta then you will have to get your checked bag and go through customs and re-check it. PITA. Go LAX to Jakarta on one connecting ticket.

Moving your board bag around in Jakarta for a connecting flight to Padang is a bit of a PITA since if you have to change terminals then you'll have to get on and off a sky train. This involved getting carts and going up and down elevators/escalators with it. With a larger board bag this would be a PITA for sure.

2) Cant speak to an 8'0 bag but semi-recently traveled with a 7'6" bag from jakarta to padang with no issues.

isurfcardiff

OTF status
May 8, 2014
Yes, to all of what TheEl says above, but also can do what I did: Fly United/All Nippon...way cheaper than Singapore Air. I paid $900. Also, boards are free on United (as they are on Singapore)! For LAX-Narita-Jakarta there is no need to stress about board, airlines will check to Jakarta. Then fly Garuda, Air Asia, Lion, etc for the Jakarta to Padang leg. Board fee is $12-24, depending on how many boards.

Extra piece of advice: give yourself time between flight from Padang to Jakarta as flights are CONSTANTLY cancelled and rescheduled. Book early in day in case of cancellation, and it's best to have your flight back to the states scheduled the day after you arrive in Jakarta.

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
Yes, to all of what TheEl says above, but also can do what I did: Fly United/All Nippon...way cheaper than Singapore Air. I paid $900. Also, boards are free on United (as they are on Singapore)! For LAX-Narita-Jakarta there is no need to stress about board, airlines will check to Jakarta. Then fly Garuda, Air Asia, Lion, etc for the Jakarta to Padang leg. Board fee is $12-24, depending on how many boards.

Extra piece of advice: give yourself time between flight from Padang to Jakarta as flights are CONSTANTLY cancelled and rescheduled. Book early in day in case of cancellation, and it's best to have your flight back to the states scheduled the day after you arrive in Jakarta.
solid advice - especially fly home day after
arrival in jakarta

LarryTate

Nep status
May 7, 2012
Yes definitely doing the fly in a day prior. Thank you for all the advice peeps!

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
Yes definitely doing the fly in a day prior. Thank you for all the advice peeps!

book anara hotel in terminal 3 - your departing terminal back to the us - you may arrive in terminal 2 or 1 - dont mess with the train or bus - pay the $15 for a driver and get dropped at hotel

been through jakarata about 20 times this season / sh-t canceled 50% of the time

Nov 10, 2022
It seems to me that this kind of luggage is quite large, and you should consider that it may be challenging to fit it into a standard luggage compartment. At a minimum, this is because the economy class is limited by the volume and weight of luggage. For this reason, you will either need to change your mode of transportation or give up taking these boards with you. There is an additional option to upgrade your ticket to business class. This way, you will have more privileges, and a long flight will be more comfortable. Now there are many services for this purpose that can provide you with a choice of such a ticket. So consider this idea as a solution to your problem.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
1) I've only taken surf trips where I've basically had direct flights, so no need to transfer planes. However this one appears I'll have to fly from LAX into another country (Japan, S. Korea etc), then a flight into Jakarta, then Padang. If I'm flying into another country (let's say in Japan), am I having to pick up the boards at the airport, then run them through the boarding process again on the next flight to Jakarta (which may be another airline as well)? Or does the "luggage" typically have a final destination tagged to it (based on my destination) and it makes its way alone?
In regards to this topic when flying with boards to anywhere international, I always try to set up with longer layovers (4+hours).

It may seem like a hassle, but it's far less painful than sitting around with no boards for a week because your boards became "lost" when they didn't make it on the plane during the tight layover.

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
I have sprinted gate to gate in terminals and boards made it

I have napped for hours in terminals and boards didnt make

they make it or they don't

but I will say traveling board free these last few years is so good and only a surfer who has lugged boards around knows the great feeling of hopping on a plane w a carry on only

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Fly there,
buy the biggest ice cream on a stick you can find,
when you finish licking the goods off,
you have a big wave gun,
4 u.

:shrug: