The Official OBSF Support Group

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
You will definitely want more than a chippy 7'0 if you intend to surf the better days ... unless you stick to the VFW> Kelly's Cove Zone. Given that this is your first season, I'd say don't paddle out at Noriega when it's 6 @ 18 or 10 @16 etc...

This is the start of my 7th season, and pretty much year I've bought a bigger board. First year, I had a 6'4 Ghost before ordering a 6'8 Blackbird that spring. After a couple of swells the following fall, I ordered a 7'6 Blackbird and swore I would be overgunned and never go out on days requiring anything bigger. That summer, Rusty made me an 8'3. The following spring, I went to Danny Hess and told him I needed something for maxing OB, the 8'3 didn't give me enough confidence on the biggest day of the season. :drowning: Now double overhead barely gets my heart rate up. I train for winter and have anxiety all season long thinking about what the next day/ swell will bring.

Am I over-gunned at times? Probably, but it's because I finally have my priorities straight out there. Catch bombs and stay safe. As someone said a while back on this thread, you're not hitting the lip anyway when it's 2x overhead +.
So is everyone else out there these days. Was talking to the guy who runs Aqua (not sure what his name is) and we were talking about how 5 years ago the biggest board out at OB was an 8'6 and now guys are on 10'0s when it's tripple overhead. Ended up sliding a 9'0 into an order they have placed with Lyle. My Christenson Sicario's (8'4 and 9'0) just landed at Proof Lab. Going to pick them up tomorrow. Winter is looking like it might be pretty chill work-wise. Thinking about picking up a 10'0 and seeing if I can't work my way into the crowded Mavs lineup.

Last edited:

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Aqua taking Lyle orders?
Yep, they have a run of guns on order. They let me slip an order into the run.

They were very clear about confidence in delivery. Optimistic but no promises.

Said I wouldn't hold them accountable for timing and no matter when it shows up I'll happily take it.

Reactions: Mr Doof

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
:love::love::love::love::love::love:

Do these have beak noses? Foil looks different (more refined) in the front half of the board compared to others I've seen online.

Also, dibs on the 9'0 when you flip them on C-List in May.

Reactions: kool-aid

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Those Christianson's look gnarly.

Definitely don’t think the 7’0” is enough (it’s pretty pulled-in too), and I see why wider/more volume boards are better for out here. Keeping my eye out for something bigger/budget-friendly.

Keep an eye on the Craigslist Thread, there are some decent fuller 7'0"s and bigger boards that come up now and then.

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Got a 6'8 Holi Moli from Eric Arakawa with an awesome grey spray. Works pretty well in the big stuff as well, took it out a lot last week.

Bonus hits this week so tempted to buy an OTR gun from Aqua :waving:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Got a 6'8 Holi Moli from Eric Arakawa with an awesome grey spray. Works pretty well in the big stuff as well, took it out a lot last week.

Bonus hits this week so tempted to buy an OTR gun from Aqua :waving:

I've seen quite a few Arakawas lately. They all look sleek and flawless. Several of the boards that have turned my head on the way out or in for a surf have been Arakawas lately.

I appreciate the understatedness too. My board has a fair amount of lams on it (Chemistry), and the Pyzels with their model name lams, The mayhems....... It's nice to see a high performance outline that's not splashed all over with extra sh!t on it.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Nothing interesting in the forecast for the entire length of the Surfline extended range (11/11).

Wondering if we're going to have a meager Nov and Dec like last year to then have a fire Jan and Feb?

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Saturday-Sunday looking decent with swell peaking at 6 @14 and light winds. Tuesday gonna light up south wind spots. But yeah, nothing Good-Epic yet.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Nothing interesting in the forecast for the entire length of the Surfline extended range (11/11).

Wondering if we're going to have a meager Nov and Dec like last year to then have a fire Jan and Feb?
North of you guys but last January and February were absolutely insane. One of the best seasons of surf I have ever had.

FTR, I am fine with OH-DOH; that is interesting enough for me. :roflmao:

Reactions: tacos and Mr Doof

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
is it just the pic or do those sicarios have a lot of nose rocker?

look great.