Tomo MPH

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
good perspective on how niche this community is relative to most average joes.
Good perspective of how using cheap non surfing non endemic labor versus surf industry labor affords some board companies huge marketing budgets for new websites, tempting potential team riders, current team, boards to hand out for review, pay photogs, surf trips, and so on. That is just one facet of advantage but there can also be deep pocket investors enticed by cost of goods that are willing to float millions of dollars of inventory that floods the market and muscles out the competition. All done to make some equal or superior products seem inferior in the eyes of the consumer. Folks love to throw in the word capitalism but some of the moves made in the smoke are more like gangsterism instead of competition of product.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
They aren't unless you're a communist. Thailand, where a significant amount of boards are made, ranks 96 out of 165 in Freedom Ranking, just above Gambia and Ukraine.
Then look at China's ranking and look at how much of your consumer items you own that come from there compared to any from the top ten countries?

Last edited:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Good perspective of how using cheap non surfing non endemic labor versus surf industry labor affords some board companies huge marketing budgets for new websites, tempting potential team riders, current team, boards to hand out for review, pay photogs, surf trips, and so on. That is just one facet of advantage but there can also be deep pocket investors enticed by cost of goods that are willing to float millions of dollars of inventory that floods the market and muscles out the competition. All done to make some equal or superior products seem inferior in the eyes of the consumer. Folks love to throw in the word capitalism but some of the moves made in the smoke are more like gangsterism instead of competition of product.
It sounds like you're talking about Lost? They are a much bigger company than Firewire. They have domestic and overseas manufacturing and they make up a huge portion of the market.

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
Then look at China's ranking and look at how much of your consumer items you own that come from there compared to any from the top ten countries?
I know right, freedom is expensive. We can easily choose who makes our surfboards. Heritage preservation should rank higher, especially in our sport, but too oft in these conversations TV and Bic razor purchases are used to defend. For all things bought, I try to be a minimalist and make things last as long as possible to lower consumption and waste. Having said, the surfboards in my garage are worth as much when new close to what's in my house minus clothing.

China is 150 https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/freedom-index-by-country

The reason of mention of Thailand rank is that surfboards from there are often sold as Eco. It is ironic that those that puff conscience at purchase don't give much consideration to the lack of some freedoms there that help make the boards profitable for those companies.

It is a pretty awesome place though

Last edited:
Reactions: Goodfish

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I prefer EPS because I like lighter boards and have assumed that its 'eco-friendlyness' is largely a gimmick to help a buyer feel a little better about their purchase.

Reactions: JDJ
Oct 5, 2021
Just picked up a revo second hand keen to get it in the water! Hoped I sized it right, same litres as my SKX and just under my chin length wise seem to remember that’s how you sized the evo. Came with the Tomo quad fins will give that a crack, don’t have any other future fins unfortunately. Hoping it’s a decent small wave board with good upper range but bit better in the small stuff than the SKX, we’ll see.

Reactions: ReForest and SD_Dan

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Its an epic board with a wide range! Only caveat is that the Vee takes a little getting used to. I remember when I first got mine it felt a little unstable but once you got the hang of it, it became so much fun!

As soon as I save up some cash I'm going in halfsies on shipping with @JDJ and gonna order a Sci-fi with the Vee bottom and see how that goes. Could be mental... or not. lol. I'm guessing mental.

Oct 5, 2021
How small wave wise have you used yours reforest? Can it grovel down to waist high? I don’t really bother surfing if it goes below that, would rather just swim or jump on my mtb. I can surf my SKX in that size but its a bit of a struggle really wants chest high plus.

Reactions: live4swell
Oct 5, 2021
First surf on the revo today in head high waves, catches surprisingly well (first ever go on a mph for me) turns nicely and the flex of new build feels really good. I’m not so sure on the Tomo fins did a backhand snap where I was pushing fairly evenly through the turn and then they just released completely with zero warning and I blew the wave - will give them a couple more tries in different conditions and then maybe try something different if I’m not gelling with them. Wish the board was FCS2 so I could try my other fins could get expensive trying different things out! Laid the revo over the top of my SKX, it is ever so slightly wider in the tail and at the nose before it chops off in comparison, but all in all pretty similar actually (bottom contours aside). Rail a fair bit fuller on revo than the SKX though so I do think it will have a better lower end range Looking forward to some more sessions. So far pretty happy on it have to say, even if it does look bizarre.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Don’t know the hydrodynamics for why but have found that reactors (upright quad) offer more control/predictability on the Revo.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
The board definitely is made for a quad setup but I think it could work as a thruster. I think what happens is the vee causes the board to tip over on rail so fast and so easily, that a standard thruster set doesn't have enough fin area to provide resistance. So the board tips over so quickly it overpowers the fin and you don't get any drive or projection. But with a large side fin, you get resistance once tipped on rail and then with a small center fin you get that thruster pivot. So i think it will work as a thruster, but you have to get some bigger side fins. I think quad sets with a large base work best as well.