Tomo MPH

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
Here's an XTR "shaped" by Dan that my friend sent me yesterday. It doesnt just look lopsided... it was lopsided.
View attachment 140257
Isn’t that the Brink/Tomo collab from the unreleased Stab EAST with Kelly. If memory serves it was dubbed the Lopside-matic. I think Donny and Tomo included a Sony Discman connected to a subwoofer near a hand carved plate of reclaimed drift wood covered with sand to generate cymatic patterns while listening to Tool for pre surf stoke.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
I think it pretty much boils down to "just ride whatever makes you happy". I've never ridden a soft top (and probably never will) but Ben Gravy, Kailani Robb and Jamie O'Brien look they have fun on theirs, and its stokes out a certain group of people.

It sounds like @waxurDyl (Dylan) hasn't ridden a Firewire in a long time, so he might need to get on one and feel the difference. lol. The tech has had some advancements in the last 10 years. lol.

Also, they are definitely not equivalent to a soft top but with a "hard deck". The weight on my Revo came in at under 5lbs -- and the performance and flex is like a stinger less XTR. :jamon: :jamon:
The reason those guys ride soft tops is pure and simple: money. Nothing to do with stoke. They all look like sad broken whores desperately selling their wares on their vlogs now anyway.

Firewire's marketing makes me cringe. Isn't the new tech called Volcano? Bill Hicks would have a field day with them...

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I've gone to pu/poly for my entire quiver and I've been pretty happy with it. there are plenty of shapers who do their glassing in-house or contract to local glass shops who make light, strong, dependable feeling PU boards.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
It's amazing that they can still pump out boards in pu/poly like no tomorrow. Wonder how much longer before those toxic materials will be banned?
Never. It will become an issue of American board foam independence. Fuck the environment, America needs its foam and can no longer rely on foreign Taiwanian foam.

Make surfing great again!

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
I've gone to pu/poly for my entire quiver and I've been pretty happy with it. there are plenty of shapers who do their glassing in-house or contract to local glass shops who make light, strong, dependable feeling PU boards.
Also if you follow Casa's rules, big difference. Straight to board bag every time. most dings are loading and unloading minus deck dents etc

Reactions: surfwhere

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
I don't know enough about shaping to know whether a stock board is more like an ideal expression of a design or more like a general template that's designed, at least in part, to accommodate a wider range of buyers. If the latter is the case, then the ideal expression of a design isn't realized unless it's a custom fit. If the former is the case, then any departure from the ideal form is a degradation of the design. On the other hand, to some degree, a rider adjusts to a board regardless of its ideal form or degraded form.
Both, depends if set dims fit as there is a range of allowable adjustments,, outside is a different design, shaper desires minimal rider adjustments to fit needs or noted adjustment to garner stepped improvement. if rider adjustments not comfortable and/or dimensional iteration not on offer then there is a failure in the system

Reactions: estreet

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Here in USA Marko recycles eps
FCD recycles xps
I am not sure others status but I do know we don't need pu.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
XTR was essentially forging Dan’s signature, whether he was aware of it or not, without any mention of the ghost shaper. Firewire makes it clear that the shape is created by Tomo but manufactured by firewire.
Good Lord.

Easy with the hyperbole.

Dan signed a contract with XTR for those shapes to happen at all AND MOST LIKELY - SINCE IT'S THE INDUSTRY STANDARD - he required all Tomo boards form XTR have his signature on it. That's how a smart businessman works. And again, that's industry standard.

It's not like XTR was duping their customers as, as mentioned earlier, Dan lives in Australia so he's not going to be in California shaping every single XTR that comes off the machine.

Everyone - AND I MEAN EVERYONE - knew his boards were finish shaped by XTR.

To make any kind or argument to the contrary is (1) ignoring fact to serve your narrative, and (2) ignorant. I know that's not you, but Lord a'mighty, pull back a bit on the histrionics. Hero worship is nice and all, but let's not go making false idols.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
@sh3 I don't like to argue with people that like burritos as much as do (or maybe more than I do), but let me ask you this... do you have personal knowledge that a written contract between Dan and XTR exists? Do you think it could be possible that there is no written contract and it’s all verbal and done on a handshake? Its not my place to speculate the details of their dealings, but your post fails to recognize that everyone does things their own way and their relationship goes back over a decade when Tomo was a much smaller brand.

My comment about XTR forging Dan's signature wasn't to disparage XTR it was to prove a point to Jimmy that a signature and lam/logo are very different from each other. Please don't mistake my comment for any type of negativity towards XTR.

As far as " 'everyone' knowing his boards were finish shaped by XTR" -- that's a pretty bold statement to make on behalf of everyone on this planet. Especially, when it's been pointed out on this forum that there "are" actual people that believed those boards were really hand shaped by Dan.

Lastly, misinterpreting my enthusiasm for a brand as idolization is an overstatement. Admiration is different that idolization regardless of zeal.

Last edited:

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
A logo, even if it represents a personal brand, is obviously very different from a signature and doesn’t convey the same meaning or impression. Also differences in identity/liability. Jimmy talk’n nonsense, as per usual.

Reactions: ReForest and Ttboi

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
It's funny how often I see used boards like Surftechs and other mass produced boards
with the "handshaped by: insert shapers name here...in the ad. A lot of people really don't know any different.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
The % of surfers who know WTF XTR is outside of erBB is minuscule. If I polled 10 lifelong surfers and locals at the main spots I surf (here in SD), I bet 1 or maybe 2 would have heard of XTR. I’ve sold plenty of XTR Tomos on CL (again in SD where XTR is located), and almost no one understood that it was not a FireWire.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
The % of surfers who know WTF XTR is outside of erBB is minuscule. If I polled 10 lifelong surfers and locals at the main spots I surf (here in SD), I bet 1 or maybe 2 would have heard of XTR. I’ve sold plenty of XTR Tomos on CL (again in SD where XTR is located), and almost no one understood that it was not a FireWire.
I bet just like they didnt know it was an xtr they didnt know the signature was forged.

I had a duu ask me why an OTR lost wasn’t signed by Matt. ended up having to give him the leash string Id just pocketed to close the deal.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I bet just like they didnt know it was an xtr they didnt know the signature was forged.

I had a duu ask me why an OTR lost wasn’t signed by Matt. ended up having to give him the leash string Id just pocketed to close the deal.
Was it a …lost branded string tho?

• Haha
Reactions: sdsrfr

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
good perspective on how niche this community is relative to most average joes.