Pyzel Mini Ghost

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Just curious to see what MG people are riding vs their weight and height? Also, if anyone went custom and added width and thickness to get their optimum volume and how that's worked out for you ?

I'm 41, 5'6 and around 155lb or (70kg), I feel getting the length right on a board is most important so that my natural stance is hitting the sweet spot. I'm thinking of taking the stock 5'4 x 18 5/8 x 2 3/8 = 25.8L and pumping it up to 5'4 x 19 x 2 1/2 = 27.7L and having the rails refined a touch. Love to hear your thoughts.
I’m 5’10 185 lbs on a stock 5’10 squash mini ghost. Feels perfect for me. If I were to change anything on a custom I’d go slightly wider and thinner than stock. They’re pretty thiccc

Last edited:

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Just curious to see what MG people are riding vs their weight and height? Also, if anyone went custom and added width and thickness to get their optimum volume and how that's worked out for you ?

I'm 41, 5'6 and around 155lb or (70kg), I feel getting the length right on a board is most important so that my natural stance is hitting the sweet spot. I'm thinking of taking the stock 5'4 x 18 5/8 x 2 3/8 = 25.8L and pumping it up to 5'4 x 19 x 2 1/2 = 27.7L and having the rails refined a touch. Love to hear your thoughts.
That sounds about right for your height/weight combo.

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020

So I am 50, 5' 8ish", and 170lbs. This is based on surfing the stock 5' 6" since late spring and more recently a stock 5' 5". I have done back to back surfs but only at the beach break, so not a fair comparison.

Obvious to say, but it depends on the waves.

For me, the 5' 6" worked well for winter waves at reef break that pitched up and then had softer shoulders. If it didn't overly pitch up, it a slopier break. The waves were more in the shoulder to head high range. For these waves, the 5' 6" maintained speed, and allowed for fun turns. For a little board, it could get into some big waves with confidence.

Since summer started, I am surfing mostly beach breaks, and for this the 5' 5" is more enjoyable. Here's the key...the 5' 5" board doesn't get you in super early, the reality is nor does the 5' 6" at this break, just better than the 5' 5". I have other boards that get me in earlier that utilize that speed to overcome the inherent bulkiness of the board. However, if you want something to play around with that is different and fits these waves without being overly wide - the 5' 5" is uber fun on the wave. It changes elements of how you approach smaller punchy wave, once it is going it is more electric and easier to go vertical.

Reactions: Pyzelsurfboards
Dec 23, 2017
Thanks @tedshred5 for your info and recommendations especially your comment about the width and thickness.

@Pyzelsurfboards, stoked you chimed in and confirmed that I'm on the right path, very much appreciated. It's awesome having a shaper of your calibre still dropping in and commenting on these forums. A testament to you sir.

@j_mac really enjoyed your detailed breakdown on MG, particularly as you ride these boards on the shorter side like myself and in beach breaks. Often, I think people may struggle with boards as they go for their volume by buying longer stock boards which has an effect on your front foot being in the sweet spot.

Looks like my Astro Pop and Pyzalien 2 are going to have a baby brother in 6-8 weeks time!

Cheers all.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Rode @oeste858 's 6'0" MG this morning in waist to shoulder high punchy beachbreak. It's 34 L and my normal volume is 32. Board feels really beefy under arm and paddles really well... until you want to get into waves. Got hung up on several waves which surprised me at how well it paddles across flat water. Rocker feels weird on a board with these dims. Not overly responsive, lacked down the line drive, and just lacked spark. Got a few lefts where I sat all the way back on the pad and threw some good arcs but that was the highlight. Board works ok but the relationship between the rocker and shape doesn't seem right.

Reactions: parkiteric

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Man, that makes me feel a little better after my maiden voyage shocker on it last month. I hadn’t surfed a squash thruster in months so figured I was just rusty and rhythm/timing was off after surfing twins for so long. I will say it stuck steep drops well (that ghost DNA). Otherwise, my initial impression was I just click with the Phantom more, for similar conditions.

oddly, I had a blast on @tedshred5 ‘s 32L 5’10 in similar punchy conditions at the local reef to when I tried the 34L 6’0.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Man, that makes me feel a little better after my maiden voyage shocker on it last month. I hadn’t surfed a squash thruster in months so figured I was just rusty and rhythm/timing was off after surfing twins for so long. I will say it stuck steep drops well (that ghost DNA). Otherwise, my initial impression was I just click with the Phantom more, for similar conditions.

oddly, I had a blast on @tedshred5 ‘s 32L 5’10 in similar punchy conditions at the local reef to when I tried the 34L 6’0.
yea I think a 6'0 is too long for you guys, carries too much chunk forward. I've experienced the feeling of being hung up on a steeper takeoff myself before, and I should probably be on a 5'8-5'9 for my height, I just need the volume and the waves I surf tend to be more flat faced

I know I've heard Jon Pyzel say he loves the feeling of small boards in good waves before, so he and his team riders must be riding the MG pretty short - hence the generous foil