Making waves: These women are challenging ‘skinny and hairless’ surfing stereotypes

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
I'll admit that this is purely anecdotal...however I've been surfing 35+ years. Can't think of one time over this period where someone said, insinuated, or even hinted that obese people shouldn't be surfing.

In other news, Arsonist Puts Out Own Fire

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
Working on it ;)

one Ireland-photo thread hijacking at a time

These ladies are big and beautiful, and seem perfectly content…just to stay on topic
View attachment 139264
How's about a nice sheep pic to go with this cow pic? Come on - I know you have one - that place is filled with sheep - or maybe some little lambs peering under the fence at your car?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
just to clarify my earlier post- I have no problem with people of any gender or size going for a surf. i was just addressing what worked for me when I decided I was sick and tired of being fat sick and tired

If these gals are TRULY happy and content with their body shape and the potential for debilitating and life-curtailing health issues in middle age, then that's their prerogative.

And speaking as a former fatty myself, I can safely say it also doesn't mean I'm required to find fat women sexually attractive. I'm not an 18th century Russian peasant- I like my bed-wenches to be thin and fit, not obese and black-toothed

FTR I'm happily and monogamously married to a fit and thin woman with nice white teeth. I only have one bed wench, and I'm married to her :)

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
How's about a nice sheep pic to go with this cow pic? Come on - I know you have one - that place is filled with sheep - or maybe some little lambs peering under the fence at your car?
saw a bunch in our ramblings, but our cottage was surrounded by dairy pastures, so I don't think I got any sheep pics. More cow pics than i know what to do with.

Maybe a sexy milk-cow calendar?

• Love
Reactions: PJ

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013
Vans has a girl who surfs for them, Holly Wawn, that absolutely rips and who some would consider thicker than what is generally considered normal in the surf world. Rides a lot of Bonzers and buries the rail respectfully.. Thicker than a Snicker! I love Snickers!

Last edited:
Reactions: Subway

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
If these gals are TRULY happy and content with their body shape and the potential for debilitating and life-curtailing health issues in middle age, then that's their prerogative.
What I find problematic is the media portrayal of these bodies as "healthy". Young, impressionable girls are getting the idea that working hard to lose excess weight is not necessary, and being very overweight is OK - just look at Lizzo! She dances every night on stage for an hour! Fat and fit: healthy!

Fat and fit only works for the first 20 pounds or so.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Vans has a girl who surfs for them, Holly Wawn, that absolutely rips and who some would consider thicker than what is generally considered normal in the surf world. Rides a lot of Bonzers and buries the rail respectfully.. Thicker than a Snicker! I love Snickers!
Googled her, she looks pretty healthy. Prolly burns a lot of calories in the water, surfing like that.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
People make fun of me for going bald.

I guess i should quit surfing and start foiling.
Is balding a prerequisite for foiling??? Paging Kaiser1 lol.

Tell them “Bald like Rogan, bitch!!!” as you unleash a turning side kick to their liver or

Shave your head and grow some gnarly facial hair. There’s a good chance it will make you look like a white supremacist excon biker and no one fucks with them. I’ve found the show Vikings to be an excellent source of inspiration.

Last edited:

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
I don't see many obese people in the lineup myself, but I do get oddly psyched for those that are big and shred. Not a fetish.

There's a guy in Monterey/PG... James I think. He's an electrician. Rotund fellow who's incredibly talkative. Damn that boy can move pretty well. There's also a woman at OB... built kinda like a cannonball who surfs a longboard. Cool lady. And finally, and perhaps most famous...
1363627030trip-219-surf-0001-1024x592.jpg