Making waves: These women are challenging ‘skinny and hairless’ surfing stereotypes

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I blame Lena Dunham and/or Jonah Hill.

And while theyre challenging surfing stereotypes they’re reinforcing the stereotype of the annoying fat chick.

• Haha
Reactions: bluemarlin04

LarryTate

Nep status
May 7, 2012
I'll admit that this is purely anecdotal...however I've been surfing 35+ years. Can't think of one time over this period where someone said, insinuated, or even hinted that obese people shouldn't be surfing.

In fact it's quite the opposite. I have heard, "that person should probably be on a bigger board." which in my eyes is actually accepting and encouraging.

Roughly 25,000, including 10,000 children, die from hunger each day (UN statistic). This lady's apparent problem in life is that she never saw "people like her" engaged in this particular recreational activity before, enough so that this story needed to be told and put into print? I mean Jesus, she's Hawaiian. Has she never been to the islands and seen some of the big boys/girls ripping? This feels about as shallow as a 1' pool.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
I'll admit that this is purely anecdotal...however I've been surfing 35+ years. Can't think of one time over this period where someone said, insinuated, or even hinted that obese people shouldn't be surfing.

In fact it's quite the opposite. I have heard, "that person should probably be on a bigger board." which in my eyes is actually accepting and encouraging.

Roughly 25,000, including 10,000 children, die from hunger each day (UN statistic). This lady's apparent problem in life is that she never saw "people like her" engaged in this particular recreational activity before, enough so that this story needed to be told and put into print? I mean Jesus, she's Hawaiian. Has she never been to the islands and seen some of the big boys/girls ripping? This feels about as shallow as a 1' pool.
Agree. In this world of hunger and misery, these disgusting fat shits are flaunting their glutton and expect our acceptance. I will have none of it and I advice them to watch the film Se7en to change their sinful ways.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink