Hawaii- Done

SirKooksALot

OTF status
Apr 1, 2020
But once the shoebox satellite constellations like Starlink and its competitors are up and running, promising high-speed internet connectivity virtually anywhere on earth, then there will be remote workers in some of the more uncrowded surf locations on this planet, like the southern atolls of Maldives, Fiji Vanua Levu, the Cook Islands, The Philippines, Chilean Patagonia or the Aleutians, surfing as much as possible and doing their coding work far, far away from any office and getting paid well.
You forgot and claiming local status after 3 months :roflmao:

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
That lifestyle at a moderate income level is gone for good in Hawaii - it can be enjoyed if one moves to Tonga, Fiji, or the Cook Islands, certainly in the provinces of The Philippines, well-outside the money orbit of the United States dollar.

You will be poor by material standards but you will have a nice lifestyle.

But once the shoebox satellite constellations like Starlink and its competitors are up and running, promising high-speed internet connectivity virtually anywhere on earth, then there will be remote workers in some of the more uncrowded surf locations on this planet, like the southern atolls of Maldives, Fiji Vanua Levu, the Cook Islands, The Philippines, Chilean Patagonia or the Aleutians, surfing as much as possible and doing their coding work far, far away from any office and getting paid well.

That will be the end of the "rural lifestyle" in many areas now untouched by 5G mobile phone signal or gigabit fibre connections :)
I think starlink having reliable high speed internet in remote areas is still pretty far away.

I used to work SATCOMS in the military. The footprints required for starlink in places like Iran are already there because the orbits of the sattelites are there.

More remote areas like the south pacific will require footprint coverage and new sattelites or leasing time on someone elses (no way that happens).

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
That lifestyle at a moderate income level is gone for good in Hawaii - it can be enjoyed if one moves to Tonga, Fiji, or the Cook Islands, certainly in the provinces of The Philippines, well-outside the money orbit of the United States dollar.

You will be poor by material standards but you will have a nice lifestyle.

That will be the end of the "rural lifestyle" in many areas now untouched by 5G mobile phone signal or gigabit fibre connections :)
Loved living in the Cook Islands in the 1980's yet, fresh meat had to be shipped in either from New Zealand or from Aussie and the locals then, got food from the "tinnie's" or can goods. Everything went into Avarua harbor on the main island of Rarotonga and then shipped to the outer islands on a smaller container ship. Pacific Islanders are a pretty resourceful people yet, continue to rely on modern, today products.
To be a "remote worker" in any of the above named places, I don't know. To me, it would take $$$ to buy all of the necessities to live that lifestyle. Perhaps there's already a livable structure there, solar power or generator? Fuel for the generator? Drive to "town?" Buy a truck there or bring one? StarLink and all that goes with it .... shipped in? Set up costs? Quite the project with enough cash I suppose. It's a dream for all of us yet only attainable for few. Oh yeah, I forgot about cyclones & tsunamis. Always a possibility.

My choice? Aitutaki, it's lagoon and motu's. Had a shot at being the bar manager there after working at the Rarotonga Resort Hotel. Air New Zealand and the New Zealand government was going in to rebuild the small resort and air field. It never happened.
Living the dream in my head .... didn't cost me a dime. ;)

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Loved living in the Cook Islands in the 1980's yet, fresh meat had to be shipped in either from New Zealand or from Aussie and the locals then, got food from the "tinnie's" or can goods. Everything went into Avarua harbor on the main island of Rarotonga and then shipped to the outer islands on a smaller container ship. Pacific Islanders are a pretty resourceful people yet, continue to rely on modern, today products.
To be a "remote worker" in any of the above named places, I don't know. To me, it would take $$$ to buy all of the necessities to live that lifestyle. Perhaps there's already a livable structure there, solar power or generator? Fuel for the generator? Drive to "town?" Buy a truck there or bring one? StarLink and all that goes with it .... shipped in? Set up costs? Quite the project with enough cash I suppose. It's a dream for all of us yet only attainable for few. Oh yeah, I forgot about cyclones & tsunamis. Always a possibility.

My choice? Aitutaki, it's lagoon and motu's. Had a shot at being the bar manager there after working at the Rarotonga Resort Hotel. Air New Zealand and the New Zealand government was going in to rebuild the small resort and air field. It never happened.
been reading quite a bit about that life and the South Pacific lately....started with Michener (Tales Of The South Pacific), but gravitated to the non-fiction stuff like An Island To One's Self, which led me to Robert Dean Frisbie's tales of Puka-Puka and Suwarrow. the romantic attraction is powerful, the reality no doubt very different.

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
Yeah starlink isn’t gonna cover broke Oceania countries for awhile
Governments don't pay for a Starlink type system - subscribers do.

If you are important enough to the company that they will pay you to work your magick coding sklills from the location of your choice with good waves and no crowds, they will pay for the terminal and the subscription fee.

"Starlink provides satellite internet connectivity to underserved areas of the planet, as well as competitively priced service in more urbanized areas"

The great thing about the system is governments can't cut it or block it - hence the request from Ukraine for 100 Starlink terminals, delivered as soon as possible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlink

But yes - more remote areas will be covered later than more densely populated ones as there are fewer potential subscribers - so it will be awhile before the Starlink system or a competitive constellation is available in remote places like the Aleutians, the Nicobar Islands or most of the south Pacific.

Reactions: PPK96754

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit

If you are important enough to the company that they will pay you to work your magick coding sklills from the location of your choice with good waves and no crowds, they will pay for the terminal and the subscription fee.

"Starlink provides satellite internet connectivity to underserved areas of the planet, as well as competitively priced service in more urbanized areas"

The great thing about the system is governments can't cut it or block it - hence the request from Ukraine for 100 Starlink terminals, delivered as soon as possible.

But yes - more remote areas will be covered later than more densely populated ones as there are fewer potential subscribers - so it will be awhile before the Starlink system or a competitive constellation is available in remote places like the Aleutians, the Nicobar Islands or most of the south Pacific.
2023 for us out here.... can't wait to send the Spanish Telefonica monopoly to go "Freir Patatas" as soon as they launch.

70 bucks a month sure beats 200!!!!

Thanks! Didn't even know about this... the erBB provides.

:shaka::bowdown::shaka:

Reactions: JSC

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015

One thing about remote work (I am a remote worker).

99.9 percent of companies (and I want to say 100 but there is likely anomalie) require remote workers to be able to fly in fairly regularly or easily. While you may be truly remote- you’ll have to travel sometimes. Even if 1-2 times per year- being that remote is prob a no go for most employers

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

Peter, have you read Trustee from the Tool Room?

Great book about that part of the world.

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
For those interested in expatriate life in the Pacific, "Sex Lives of Cannibals" is a memoir of life in Tarawa in Kiribati - highly realistic and damn funny.

Has surfing content; Tarawa can get good surf, sometimes.

"The Sex Lives of Cannibals tells the hilarious story of what happens when Troost discovers that Tarawa is not the island paradise he dreamed of. Falling into one amusing misadventure after another, Troost struggles through relentless, stifling heat, a variety of deadly bacteria, polluted seas, toxic fish—all in a country where the only music to be heard for miles around is “La Macarena.”

He and his stalwart girlfriend Sylvia spend the next two years battling incompetent government officials, alarmingly large critters, erratic electricity, and a paucity of food options (including the Great Beer Crisis); and contending with a bizarre cast of local characters, including “Half-Dead Fred” and the self-proclaimed Poet Laureate of Tarawa (a British drunkard who’s never written a poem in his life)"

https://www.amazon.com/Sex-Lives-Cannibals-Equatorial-Pacific/dp/0767915305/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3HU192P8BTU6I&keywords=sex+lives+of+cannibals+by+maarten+troost&qid=1665536492&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIyLjExIiwicXNhIjoiMS40MCIsInFzcCI6IjEuNjYifQ==&s=books&sprefix=Sex+lives+of+cannibals,stripbooks-intl-ship,294&sr=1-1

• Love
Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I’m kind of torn on that.

i think STR in R zoning shouldn’t be allowed

but I think you should absolutely be allowed to rent for 30 days at a time.

Making it a 90 days requirement seemed like a big over reach