Poast your strenf training program

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
I thought light weights more reps was what us middle age and older guys are supposed to do????

We have a few of them at my office but when you're 6'1 now you're towering over the people in adjacent cubicals which is kind of weird. If I was 5'6 that would be no issue.
I suggest reading Barbell Prescription and Starting Strength. Barbell Prescription goes into depth on parts of SS for older guys and debunks the common misperception that light weight high reps are the way to go.

I ran the Novice Linear Progression until I stalled, backed off 10% and ramped up until I stalled a couple of times (about 8 months of linear progress), then got on Barbell Medicine’s beginner program for about eight weeks. Their Beginner program has a mix of strength reps (4-6 reps) and Hypertrophy reps (6-10) and you’re trying to add weight. I’ve started their Hypertrophy program a couple of times. The Hypertrophy program is 12 weeks long, with the option to hang at the week 4 workload until you can bust through. I’ve stalled at week 4 a couple of times - in my case it’s related to recovery from higher reps (10-12) of squats and deadlifts. I can literally feel my CNS fry once I get past 8 reps of either squat or deadlift with the prescribed weights.

Both of the books I mentioned are good reads written by a crusty old fart from Texas.

Reactions: grapedrink and PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I started out the same way. Renaissance Periodization's programs are the best I've found. After reading "Scientific Principles of Strength Training," I can see why.

Reactions: averagejoe

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
It took about three weeks but I am back to full range of motion with no pain. Surfed four hours yesterday and three hours the day before that without issue. I'll be back in the gym again starting tomorrow.
Great. What did you do to rehab?

Surf here has been so shitty I don't think I've done a single decent bottom turn top turn combo in three weeks.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Light weight/hi rep w/ BFR, for this 62 y/o. Like the workouts, like the results. Could always do better, but I could do a hell of a lot worse too. Ymmv.

Reactions: grapedrink and PRCD

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Blood Flow Restriction is my guess.
Yes. I've never tried it FTR.

Recently switched to one compound (3 sets + 2 warm up sets) and one sculpting (4 sets) 6 days a week. 30-35 minutes total/day. I also throw in a few sets of bodyweight exercises. Only practical if you have your own home gym but it makes scheduling a whole lot easier. Digging the constant anabolic signal :beer:

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
You want to research something interesting Google "Bronze Age Bodybuilding." Late 1800's to early 1900's.

Some of those guys were ripped beasts. No steroids available and no PhotoShop etc. Many of them used very light dumb bells. Up to a hundred reps. Some of them were doing full body workouts 6 days a week. Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth...

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Chocki

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
You want to research something interesting Google "Bronze Age Bodybuilding." Late 1800's to early 1900's.

Some of those guys were ripped beasts. No steroids available and no PhotoShop etc. Many of them used very light dumb bells. Up to a hundred reps. Some of them were doing full body workouts 6 days a week. Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth...

That shows you what low bodyfat does for your physique. I'd like to see their height/weight stats and what they looked like with a shirt on.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

Flexing!

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
I used BFR cuffs for the first time this month. Physical therapy for an MCL sprain. They're a great resource for PT, and I'd bet a great tool for regular ol' training when balanced with weights. 30 air squats and my leg was fried.

Reactions: sussle

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
That shows you what low bodyfat does for your physique. I'd like to see their height/weight stats and what they looked like with a shirt on.
All that info is available with a little searching. Some of them claimed to use 10 pound dumbells and a kind of dynamic tension approach. Isometrics even.