Drew Brophy - in ICU w/ COVID fighting for his life

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
I never really got the concept of big group rides wither. The whole freedom of biking either moto or cycling is the freedom of flying solo. Maybe with a nother person but with a crowd ugh fuck that

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I get that. But it's almost 2023 now. Do you still wear a mask at the store?
At this point I only wear masks on airplanes and in hospitals. But I don’t get bent out of shape about what others choose to do. We had a mobile notary come to my mothers house to sign some docs last week and she was masked. I told her that she could take it off if she chose to and that I would be happy to put one on if she preferred. It’s not that big of a deal to be decent.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
At this point I only wear masks on airplanes and in hospitals. But I don’t get bent out of shape about what others choose to do. We had a mobile notary come to my mothers house to sign some docs last week and she was masked. I told her that she could take it off if she chose to and that I would be happy to put one on if she preferred. It’s not that big of a deal to be decent.
For normal people, not spoiled brats looking to tantrum.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I never really got the concept of big group rides wither. The whole freedom of biking either moto or cycling is the freedom of flying solo. Maybe with a nother person but with a crowd ugh fook that
I just did a 50 person bike ride with Friend #1 and #2 over two days this weekend past.

As I was dead last each day, even taking the short route (40 miles first day, 30 2nd day) I didn't so much experience the team aspect, but I kinda liked it at night around the campfire. (they did 60 miles and 40 miles)

The faster riders seem to like the team aspect to really spur themselves along...little ole me just had to rely on the mantra "Don't fall for the chase vehicle offers of comfort and ease or whatever is left of your gasping self will be the subject of much derision and self directed ill-tempered malice." A little wordy, but it got me up and over those hills in the headwinds.

All in all, I think I prefer the solo wandering cruisy hither and yon rides over the speedy peloton style rides where everyone takes accurate readings of statistics....but for certain, if you want to have the fittest body, my way ain't gonna cut it.

Last edited:

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
Did she take off her mask?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I just did a 50 person bike ride with Friend #1 and #2 over two days this weekend past.

As I was dead last each day, even taking the short route (40 miles first day, 30 2nd day) I didn't so much experience the team aspect, but I kinda liked it at night around the campfire. (they did 60 miles and 40 miles)

The faster riders seem to like the team aspect really spur them along...little ole me just had to rely on the mantra "Don't fall for the chase vehicle offers of comfort and ease or whatever is left of your gasping self will be the subject of much derision and self directed ill-tempered malice." A little wordy, but it got me up and over those hills in the headwinds.

All in all, I think I prefer the solo wandering cruisy hither and yon rides over the speedy peloton style rides where everyone takes accurate readings of statistics....but for certain, if you want to have the fittest body, my way ain't gonna cut it.
In '87 Junior year of high school I did the Solvang Century ride solo my friend backed "pussed" out last minute. I was 17 young and dumb finished in middle drove my self home with swollen knees like watermelons:drowning:

Reactions: Mr Doof

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
In '87 Junior year of high school I did the Solvang Century ride solo my friend backed "pussed" out last minute. I was 17 young and dumb finished in middle drove my self home with swollen knees like watermelons:drowning:
On the swollen knee thing, that is something I actively manage to avoid on this group ride.

For this ride, I took a number of conditioning rides earlier this summer. Those proved to me that my aging self needs more time to bring up the fitness level to do longer rides at speed. A smallish hit to the ego and took some ribbing from my friends for taking the shorter route, but yeah, sometimes better to finish w/out taking the sag wagon, be last, and still be able to walk around like a normal person that night than having knee issues for a long time after.

That bit of wisdom I extrapolated/learned from a friend who once road his bike across the USA. After that success, he sort of got out of the bike riding habit, and 5 yrs later decided to do a double century with minimal preparation. Knees blew up like the aforementioned watermelons. They didn't go down very quick, and after 2 months, now just the size of volleyballs, went to get them drained. Following the the procedure, he got bactemia that really jacked him up (likely from germs on the skin that made into the capsule from the drainage needle or he just waited too long with fluid where it shouldn't be or he didn't stay on the post op meds long enough or wasn't careful with the post op skin care at the needle sites).

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
On the swollen knee thing, that is something I actively manage to avoid on this group ride.

For this ride, I took a number of conditioning rides earlier this summer. Those proved to me that my aging self needs more time to bring up the fitness level to do longer rides at speed. A smallish hit to the ego and took some ribbing from my friends for taking the shorter route, but yeah, sometimes better to finish w/out taking the sag wagon, be last, and still be able to walk around like a normal person that night than having knee issues for a long time after.

That bit of wisdom I extrapolated/learned from a friend who once road his bike across the USA. After that success, he sort of got out of the bike riding habit, and 5 yrs later decided to do a double century with minimal preparation. Knees blew up like the aforementioned watermelons. They didn't go down very quick, and after 2 months, now just the size of volleyballs, went to get them drained. Following the the procedure, he got bactemia that really jacked him up (likely from germs on the skin that made into the capsule from the drainage needle or he just waited too long with fluid where it shouldn't be or he didn't stay on the post op meds long enough or wasn't careful with the post op skin care at the needle sites).
Wood knocked never had any real knee issues did bust my ankle good. Reason my knees swelled up 6.5 hours 100 miles solvang century is one of the steepest in Southern and even central CA. I trained by going up ole San Old San Marcus Rd and coming back down to foothill on San Marcus going 45mph. I trained every morning before high school up and down catheral oaks/foothill.

California 93460 https://g.co/kgs/42nPXv

Reactions: Mr Doof

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I did that ride back in, oh, 2003 I think. Fun ride once you GTFO of Solvang. The only bad thing about those kinds of rides is the administration.

Last edited:
Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I did that ride back in, oh, 2003 I think. Fun ride once you GTFO of Solvang. The only bad thing about those kinds of rides is the administration.
I bet it was a lot smaller when I did it in '87 because I found the help or volunteers great for energy snacks and h20 and even road safety changing flats which I think I got a least two.