Varial foam Article/Ride Reports?

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I posted the dent thing this am and as unluck would have it, put a relatively deep golf ball sized dent on the third voyage out on my new Stamps Kai-Zen. I did some weird misplaced foot thingy while pig-dogging a little drainer later in the morning and was rewarded with the dent about 14” down from the nose just off the rail.

The dent came out easier on my epoxy Varial than it did on my polys that were pretty easy.

I don’t know how you accomplish it without it not getting too hot to comfortably touch. I back the heat off pretty routinely and come at it from the sides as well. Today’s came out in under a minute and is undetectable.

I’ll reiterate Varial’s suggestion to not let it get too hot, but it’s a really nice bonus to the tech.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Been reading through all this Varial talk. Made me reconsider getting both my Simon Shapes boards in Varial because pressure dings cause me pain. Going PU for my 6'6 Double Bump, but said I'd take the 5'10 asym swallow tail in Varial if it's in infused glass. However, is that an in-shop only deal? Dunno if John does that, but asked n will wait and see...

Thoughts?

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
Been reading through all this Varial talk. Made me reconsider getting both my Simon Shapes boards in Varial because pressure dings cause me pain. Going PU for my 6'6 Double Bump, but said I'd take the 5'10 asym swallow tail in Varial if it's in infused glass. However, is that an in-shop only deal? Dunno if John does that, but asked n will wait and see...

Thoughts?
I'm normally OCD about pressure dents, can't stand 'em. But I've got to say, they don't bug me too bad on the Varial. My insanity is glassed 646 with epoxy resin and the pressure dent situation isn't really that bad at all. My will's fish is in poly resin and that's definitely worse.

I'd just say, I'm with you on the dents. They bother me a lot in general but that wouldn't stop me from getting another varial.

Reactions: Goodfish

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Some of the pics in this thread show more dimples than regular PU boards. I wonder why that is? Is it due to more inconsistencies in the foam? That would be weird considering all the tech talk on the Varial website...

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Some of the pics in this thread show more dimples than regular PU boards. I wonder why that is? Is it due to more inconsistencies in the foam? That would be weird considering all the tech talk on the Varial website...
100% IMHO my experience is its just dents instead of dings and much better then having to fix it and only time pressure dings or dents cause trouble is when the glass pulls away from foam or bubles and so far with CFT and pu/epoxy S glass never does only leaves dent.

Reactions: Goodfish

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I'm on my fourth Varial and the first epoxy Infused Glass. The other three were Infused Glass polys. My first one that I got over three years ago (still going strong!) dimpled like crazy, but once the deck had a bunch of the golfball-sized dents, it stopped. I don't/didn't get the big wells I would get on my non-Varial boards.

I listed to a podcast where Stretch was touting the benefits of denting, saying they strengthen the board to what he called the "hammock effect".

I'm only about five sessions on my new epoxy glassed Varial, but so far it seems more resistant to denting.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
6+4 on deck will help. I have 3 now, two are 6+4, one is 4+4. I believe all are poly infused, but I would order epoxy on the next one. I don’t know the answer to why it dents, but it seems to be a “bend don’t break” thing… which is good.
I thought the dents would bother me too, but they really don’t. I know you also liked XTR builds too, so I think you’ll really like Varial. My preferred build now: Light, responsive, doesn’t yellow (but it’s eggshell not bright pure white), and doesn’t delam in heat.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Poly blanks have a harder foam on the deck and it softens as you get toward the middle.

I'm guessing Varial has more of a uniform consistency throughout the blank, but I don't know for sure.

I have about 15-20 sessions on my poly infused varial (4x4oz up top and 4oz on the bottom) and the dinks are very similar to my regular poly boards. Nothing like what's posted earlier in the thread. I'm wondering if they did a slight change on the formulation recently??

Nevertheless, the tech feels great. Would bang again!

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
the three eps/epoxy boards I've had all dented really easy but stopped once they reached a certain point. Dank farts too but to a lesser degree. must be an eps thing. I will say I am very impressed with the dank farts construction. That thing is gonna last.

Reactions: Aruka and JDJ

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I'm on my fourth Varial and the first epoxy Infused Glass. The other three were Infused Glass polys. My first one that I got over three years ago (still going strong!) dimpled like crazy, but once the deck had a bunch of the golfball-sized dents, it stopped. I don't/didn't get the big wells I would get on my non-Varial boards.

I listed to a podcast where Stretch was touting the benefits of denting, saying they strengthen the board to what he called the "hammock effect".

I'm only about five sessions on my new epoxy glassed Varial, but so far it seems more resistant to denting.
I'm about to order a custom varial and debating epoxy over poly. Besides less denting, any other benefits that you feel by going with epoxy?

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
I'm about to order a custom varial and debating epoxy over poly. Besides less denting, any other benefits that you feel by going with epoxy?
So far, at least, my epoxy board is staying whiter. the poly board is an eggshell color.

In terms of performance, I can't tell the difference. However, I'm not a very good surfer either

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
My post surf routine usually involves getting through multiple doors to rinse my feet off and put my bort away in my condo complex, which doesn't always happen without the bort having an encounter with some sort of structure. I never actually dinged my polys, but had a few underglass shatters from some of the bigger bangs. A neighbor opened a door into me the other day while I was rinsing my feet off and the epoxy took a sizable hit to the rail and there was nothing to show for it.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Went rail to rail pretty solidly this morning with a poly varial. Made a solid 'thunk' as the two rails met. (I was going left, he was going right - fortunately we know each other so gave each other tons of sh!t.) Zero issue, which amazed me.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I have chipped my 6oz poly‘s rail in a collision with someone scratching for the shoulder and I target fixated mid cutback. It was like a cracked hard boiled egg that loses little pieces but no long running cracks like normal poly. Weird.

I solar rez and sanded smooth bc it would catch my leg in trunks otherwise no cause for alarm.

have a 4oz OTR poly and it’s seemingly stronger than my 6oz. blacks chitshows on the inside leash tangles and no worries.

would bone either again.

Reactions: MathDebater

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I don't remember feeling any differences between the two. First Varial I ever had was epoxy and I haven't ordered one since.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
So no ride diffefence? Interesting.

I like the poly varials I have but might Try epoxy for the added durability.

I was also thinking 64/6 layup, I’ve only ridden 44/4. Any thoughts from those who’ve had both?

Reactions: SixtyGrit