What's so bad about the "Progressive Agenda"?

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
They had one of those for a while in Santa Cruz, right on Highway 1 by River St. It was dangerous and disgusting and grew rapidly and got out of hand fast. They shut it down and moved all the tents out, there were thousands of needles on the ground when everybody left.
Regarding needles. One of the odder projects I worked on was for pumping out the BART escalator sumps. The old set up kept clogging due to hypo needles. Thousands of them would wind up in the sumps and when they filled up with storm water, the needles would clog the pumps, flooding the concourses. We set them up with a grinder pump/control system that eliminated the problem.
More than a few of my "I can't believe this is real" situations have been on BART projects. Some of the homeless are ingenious to say the least. Most need to be institutionalized.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Its a crime to be poor. Institutionalized is prison
It is not a crime to be poor. Being rich is subjective to say the least....
The ones that should be institutionalized are the ones passed out in a pool of their own ****/$hit/vomit under their piece of cardboard. You cannot label these people as poor. They are beyond poor and are completely incapable of functioning in society. They need to be put in an institution to be cared for and hopefully, one day, return to society.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
A lot of the hardcore homeless have convinced themselves that they cannot live under any kind of constraints whatsoever, so they are resistant to society's help. Free housing but no drug or alcohol use = I'd rather live on the streets thank you very much. They think it's freedom but it's just a symptom of mental illness.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
It is not a crime to be poor. Being rich is subjective to say the least....
The ones that should be institutionalized are the ones passed out in a pool of their own ****/$hit/vomit under their piece of cardboard. You cannot label these people as poor. They are beyond poor and are completely incapable of functioning in society. They need to be put in an institution to be cared for and hopefully, one day, return to society.
Sounds good until anyone proposes spending money on it. Build new psychiatric hospitals? Staff them sufficiently? Great! Increase spending on mental health programs? No way!

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
A lot of the hardcore homeless have convinced themselves that they cannot live under any kind of constraints whatsoever, so they are resistant to society's help. Free housing but no drug or alcohol use = I'd rather live on the streets thank you very much. They think it's freedom but it's just a symptom of mental illness.
I'm impressed by how able bodied they look.

Lots of young people begging in Oceanside yesterday as I was out and about.

You just have to increase the cost of living on the street to bias them away from it.

If I were king, I would make pan handling illegal today.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
I'm impressed by how able bodied they look.

Lots of young people begging in Oceanside yesterday as I was out and about.

You just have to increase the cost of living on the street to bias them away from it.

If I were king, I would make pan handling illegal today.
Could Oceanside jails handle the influx?

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
Could Oceanside jails handle the influx?
No that is why you need a humanitarian concentration camp, a tent city, where they are confined until they can prove they can survive in the real world. Inside the camp they have food, shelter, TV, coaching and training to be productive citizens. They can even go surfing if they want, but they need to leave their belongings in camp, and to return to camp that day or lose TV or some other privileges. If they climb the fence and are caught camping outside the camp, then they are arrested and brought back to camp. It is not jail, but a nice, stress-free place to live and prepare for the real world. Beavis and Butthead types may remain confined for life. It seems to me my idea is progressive.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
No that is why you need a humanitarian concentration camp where they are confined until they can prove they can survive in the real world. Inside the camp they have food, shelter, TV, coaching and training to be productive citizens. If they climb the fence and are caught camping outside the camp, then they are arrested and brought back to camp. It is not jail, but a nice, stress-free place to live and prepare for the real world. Beavis and Butthead types may remain confined for life.
Sounds like a solid plan!

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
1. Allowing people to live outside in an urban environment is cruel. If you live outside in an urban environment you are a danger to yourself and others and should be forcibly placed in a mental health facility or relocated, as you say, to a camping area.

2. Progressives have been lying (or are just wrong) by saying this is a housing problem. It isn’t. It’s a mental health/addiction problem. In progressive cities they “provide” housing with no requirement to stay sober and in some cases provide “safe” spaces for people to shoot heroin.

3. Also, there’s is so much graft and corruption involved. Which brings me to another problem with the progressive agenda. It always comes down to more government (tax payer funded) spending and that always results in corruption, graft, waste. Always. Even when conservatives increase the scope of government (which they do) the same problems arise. When you’re throwing around billions and trillions a lot of people can get very rich just by skimming off rounding errors. Add to that the power to award lucrative government contracts to your donors….
1. Agreed

2. Agreed

3. Whenever the govt throws around a lot of money, there should be a lot of AUDITORS to follow up on where the money goes. That is a progressive idea. I still don't know what the "progressive agenda is."

Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
1. Agreed

2. Agreed

3. Whenever the govt throws around a lot of money, there should be a lot of AUDITORS to follow up on where the money goes. That is a progressive idea. I still don't know what the "progressive agenda is."
I explained the progressive agenda in my first post in this thread.

As far as point #3, I agree 10M%, but neither party seems interested in doing that. Government agencies are incentivized to spend all the money they get because that’s the only way they can ensure that they get at least that amount the extra year.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
No that is why you need a humanitarian concentration camp, a tent city, where they are confined until they can prove they can survive in the real world. Inside the camp they have food, shelter, TV, coaching and training to be productive citizens. They can even go surfing if they want, but they need to leave their belongings in camp, and to return to camp that day or lose TV or some other privileges. If they climb the fence and are caught camping outside the camp, then they are arrested and brought back to camp. It is not jail, but a nice, stress-free place to live and prepare for the real world. Beavis and Butthead types may remain confined for life. It seems to me my idea is progressive.
We would need to enact new laws to cover all this involuntary confinement

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Do you really think the vast majority of homeless are homeless because of poverty?
They're all rich and slumming it?

Got lost off the PCT, CDT, and/or AT and camped where they could?

Reality TV show that is playing the long game?

Magic?

They're trying to dodge Ed McMahon?

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Do you really think the vast majority of homeless are homeless because of poverty?
The ones that are homeless because they have fallen on hard times are usually couch surfing or living in their cars, and are more likely to take advantage of the many social services available that are designed to get people housed, back on their feet, and back to being productive members of society.

The freeway-dwelling homeless street urchins are poor most often because of severe and long-term substance abuse/mental health issues. It takes a long time to fall from some semblance of normalcy to sleeping on the sidewalk in your own urine.