September of 2022: What's your favorite board right now?

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
The RNF96 has been my quiver killer this summer… ridden it plenty at home in SD, in Baja, and on a trip to El Salvador. Width in the nose catches most everything, nose rocker enough not to dig, and tail “shortboardy” enough to have performance when it needs to. Rocking the Aipa twins plus trailer. Sadly, I’m starting to feel slightly too heavy for this iteration, which means I need to either drop some lbs or wait for a Lost custom, neither of which feel particularly appealing to me right now
View attachment 138265
What dims are you riding? What do you think you’d replace it with?

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
There are handful that are working well, a favorite for now, hmmm... probably the 5' 6"x18.38"x2.38" Disorder is an easy one to grab. If the waves are right, I love the feel of the 6' 0"x18.25"x2.38" Sterlana - such nice glide, yet nimble feel.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
6'2" Moonstone. Have been surfing it from weak days to a few feet overhead. Lots of drive, glide, and love how the longer rail feels on carves.
I'll probably replace my 6'6 moonstone one of these days with a shorter wider custom from XTR. how'd you size yours?

Reactions: Havoc

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I'll probably replace my 6'6 moonstone one of these days with a shorter wider custom from XTR. how'd you size yours?
I went 6'2" x 20 x 2 7/16 on mine. So wider but more thinned out than a stock 6'2". Didn't want it to feel too chunky in thickness and with the pulled in tail I figured bumping the width would help on the slow days. Don't think I would change anything about it. Its more sized like I would ride a step up board in length (4-6" over height), so it doesn't really feel like hoping on something drastically bigger that I would handle completely different.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I'm a massive Tomo enthusiast as most know, but lately I've been loving this custom PodMod from CI.

5'8" x 19" x 2-3/8". 30.2 liters. A bit less tail rocker than a Wizard Sleeve board of the same size/dimensions... but equal volume.

Squash tail, deep six channel, Varial board finished by Mike Walters with Greg Griffin's fins - this is the last set he made specifically for me. I'm going to miss him.

Board has an airbrush copied form the last CI six channel I had.

View attachment 138249View attachment 138250
That board looks reallyyyy fun!

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
5’8” x 20” x 2 3/8” Stamps Flare in Varial. I really like my new 5’7” Stamps Kai-Zen twin in Varial, but if I had to choose one for anything from thigh to head high, it’d be the Flare.

My buddy and his wife came up to stay with me and my wife this past weekend. He hadn’t surfed in a year or two and I lent him my Flare while I rode the twin. He was in love within three waves and will be placing an order for the exact board this week.

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
I went 6'2" x 20 x 2 7/16 on mine. So wider but more thinned out than a stock 6'2". Didn't want it to feel too chunky in thickness and with the pulled in tail I figured bumping the width would help on the slow days. Don't think I would change anything about it. Its more sized like I would ride a step up board in length (4-6" over height), so it doesn't really feel like hoping on something drastically bigger that I would handle completely different.
I like that move. Longer, narrower and thiner.

Reactions: trifish