Stab E.A.S.T. with Mick

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
The flaw in this series is forcing the shapers to make such different board sizes. Some are required to make a 6'10 - 7'2 and others are required to make a 4'10 - 5'5 or whatever it was. If your surfer is Mikey February, then fine. He knows how to ride boards of various lengths. But it's bullshit when your surfer is Mick Fanning.

Have the shapers make Mick the most high performance alt board they can in his preferred size range.

Of course the most hp alt in this series is going to win. It's not going to be one of the longer ones that he could barely turn.
Counterpoint, he really seemed to enjoy the DHD/MOTE. If Darren has an ounce of sense he'll convince Simon to let him build those things en-masse.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Have to disagree there.

I've seen hours and hours of Micks surfing up close.

He's insane, but not on Dane's level IMO.

Still a Top 5 surfer even now though, as he showed at Bells.
I haven't seen hours and hours IRL of both, but I have seen both IRL on multiple occasions surfing the same and different locations.

Dane kicks Mick's ass in the go-for-broke explosive single maneuver category.

Mick is the better all round surfer.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
I would agree with that assessment casa, Mick is one of the most well rounded surfers of all time.

Dane is more explosive with moments of brilliance.

I like to delusionally compare myself to Dane, I can't compare myself to Mick. Dane is kind of like the best everyman surfer.
Mick is like kelly in that he is a machine programmed to shred.
That's why I like Taj, he is a little of both but he isn't a great board reviewer.

therarebirdshow

OTF status
Jan 28, 2013
www.amazon.com
I would agree with that assessment casa, Mick is one of the most well rounded surfers of all time.

Dane is more explosive with moments of brilliance.

I like to delusionally compare myself to Dane, I can't compare myself to Mick. Dane is kind of like the best everyman surfer.
Mick is like kelly in that he is a machine programmed to shred.
That's why I like Taj, he is a little of both but he isn't a great board reviewer.
Almost like their chosen career paths primed them for a specific type of performance

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Dane is kind of like the best everyman surfer.
wtf?

Dane is doing turns and airs that are still way beyond CT surfing standard, and completely unpredictable.

He's the literal opposite of an "everyman" surfer.

Mick is a great technical surfer, especially forehand, but you know exactly what turn he is going to do and where he is going to do it.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
New one is up and you might be surprised how won this episode
When looking at the boards, I'm not surprised. His surfing was ON on that board. I kind of expect it to be the weiner.

As someone mentioned earlier, the fatal flaw with the format is that all the boards are different sizes.

And yet the final 3 boards? You'll notice a dramatic similarity.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
When looking at the boards, I'm not surprised. His surfing was ON on that board. I kind of expect it to be the weiner.

As someone mentioned earlier, the fatal flaw with the format is that all the boards are different sizes.

And yet the final 3 boards? You'll notice a dramatic similarity.
What were the final 3?