*** The Official Wildland FIRE Thread ***

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Caught up with an old friend when I was in CA last week, he is Deputy Chief of Ventura County Fire now. He basically told me "there is no fire season. It can all go up at any time and it will."
I think I'll stay until my house burns then I'm coming to live with you boys in HI. How does another haole sound to you all?

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
I think I'll stay until my house burns then I'm coming to live with you boys in HI. How does another haole sound to you all?
I'll bite the bait .......

No worries here but you'll have to get in line with the locals who can't find any housing because they're priced out due to high rentals and lack of any housing inventory. Walmart has a sale on two person tents and inflatable mattresses.
Finding a place to for tent n' mattress might also be a problem ~
Living in Hawaii ain't what it's all cracked up to be now day's

• Sad
Reactions: crustBrother

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I'll bite the bait .......

No worries here but you'll have to get in line with the locals who can't find any housing because they're priced out due to high rentals and lack of any housing inventory. Walmart has a sale on two person tents and inflatable mattresses.
Finding a place to for tent n' mattress might also be a problem ~
Living in Hawaii ain't what it's all cracked up to be now day's
Seems like I'm not moving in with your or @youcantbeserious. I guess I'll need a plan B. I like the tent idea.

• Haha
Reactions: PPK96754

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Drove over to the coast this past weekend. Very warm east winds (Oregon's 'Santa Ana' winds) blowing pretty hard made it feel like all of those forests in the mountains were a spark away from what happened in the same areas 2 years ago. As such the power companies were cutting power throughout the area based on local conditions as a precautionary move. Those winds created an 85 degree beach day (rare) with nice warm offshores grooming the small waves but it wasn't all good. The winds also pushed the Cedar Creek fire (0% contained, 90k acres) from up at Waldo Lake (super sad that that incredibly beautiful place is burning but at least all the fucking mosquitoes are getting what they deserve - lol) toward Oakridge and Westfir which have been under a level 3 (go now) evacuation until this morning. Hoping our seasonal weather change kicks in soon and the rain takes care of things but for now it's still uncontained and creating smoky conditions all over the place.

• Sad
Reactions: Mr Doof

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Again prayers bro. Wildland fire close to home is gnarly scary unpredictable sh!t.

I ain’t leaving if it came to it other than put important sh!t in my storage unit and I’m pretty sure with all my pulaski, shovel, gnarly heavy rake, chainsaws and a shitload of garden hose I could convince them to let me stay.

sh!t gets real. Safest place is somewhere already burnt, aka the black.

Worst place. Trying to outrun a fire while heading into unburnt fuel. Especially uphill.

• Love
Reactions: PPK96754

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
If my whole neighborhood was going up and all my neighbors houses were totally fucked Id be lighting backfires and dropping trees left and right. I spent a fair amount of time just walking the lot imagining different scenario as our first and only real fire of the season knock on wood burned across town.

I only read this one and it was excellent. Dude went on to write four mo

Last edited:

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Speaking of shelters. I'm still going through Deb's n' my stuff, tossing most. Too much "stuff" as George Carlin said in a monologue and low and behold, in an old Rubbermaid Action Packer, I found my old red fire travel bag and 2 fire shelters. One was pretty well done from mildew and exposure. Tripped me out. Still had an old green tarp,old aluminum ground stakes, lines, couple of pairs of wool socks, and my old fiberglass water canteen that was at one time covered with a heavy fabric and metal sleeve over the fabric to keep it attached. Dumbfounded at the find. :foreheadslap: I used the bag to carry my K-9 backpack when I started with the dog team on Kauai years back.

20220913_140148.jpg

Last edited:

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
If my whole neighborhood was going up and all my neighbors houses were totally fucked Id be lighting backfires and dropping trees left and right. I spent a fair amount of time just walking the lot imagining different scenario as our first and only real fire of the season knock on wood burned across town.

I only read this one and it was excellent. Dude went on to write four mo

We watched this video recently at an RT130 training...instructive and chilling...er, maybe 'chilling' isn't the right word...

• Sad
Reactions: One-Off and Iceman

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
We watched this video recently at an RT130 training...instructive and chilling...er, maybe 'chilling' isn't the right word...
Sadly not the last time if I remember correctly that a breakdown in LCES (Lookouts, Communications, Escape Routes, Safety Zones) cost lives.

I’d probably count on the main road in town being fucked with traffic from the fire? and would want to take the back road to the post office to open space by the river anyway.

Reactions: Icu812

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Speaking of shelters. I'm still going through Deb's n' my stuff, tossing most. Too much "stuff" as George Carlin said in a monologue and low and behold, in an old Rubbermaid Action Packer, I found my old red fire travel bag and 2 fire shelters. One was pretty well done from mildew and exposure. Tripped me out. Still had an old green tarp,old aluminum ground stakes, lines, couple of pairs of wool socks, and my old fiberglass water canteen that was at one time covered with a heavy fabric and metal sleeve over the fabric to keep it attached. Dumbfounded at the find. :foreheadslap: I used the bag to carry my K-9 backpack when I started with the dog team on Kauai years back.

View attachment 137910
Hey PPK, have you seen the movie "Infinite Storm?" I knew you did search and rescue work and I thought of you.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Hey PPK, have you seen the movie "Infinite Storm?" I knew you did search and rescue work and I thought of you.

Appreciate your kind thoughts, One-Off but that sort of rescue work is far beyond my pay grade. Met a Friend of Subways a few years back while he was vacationing here and this guy did high angle rescues and crazy snow rescue stuff. Bitchen guy and lives back East. Guy's that just commit their daily lives to, train tirelessly and go at a drop of a hat. ICU812, Iceman, Firebird and maybe a few lurkers here as well ~ Badazz! :jamon:

Reactions: One-Off and Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Appreciate your kind thoughts, One-Off but that sort of rescue work is far beyond my pay grade. Met a Friend of Subways a few years back while he was vacationing here and this guy did high angle rescues and crazy snow rescue stuff. Bitchen guy and lives back East. Guy's that just commit their daily lives to, train tirelessly and go at a drop of a hat. ICU812, Iceman, Firebird and maybe a few lurkers here as well ~ Badazz! :jamon:
Preach. I looked into doing S&R and sadly but not surprisingly? the commitment was not for me. A little too old, lazy and high all the time.
1663240828338.jpeg
Fully rad book. Worth reading for his story of surviving a gnarly Chinook helicopter crash while on a rescue alone.

And as for those magnificent bastards out on the fire lines, thanks Bros.
1663273397392.jpeg

Last edited:

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
Well, that kinda sucks...it's not like you can just go out and become a 'burn boss'...it takes a pretty big commitment of time and training and qualifications to get that. I have friends here locally who are working towards that who realize that fire is a great tool and are hoping to do more prescribed burns around here. Of course the 'real' locals who were here for thousands of years knew just how to do it.

Reactions: Chocki and Aruka

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Reactions: Aruka

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Very troubling
Well, that kinda sucks...
yeah. i would love to know what's behind it. i don't think its about actual damages. is it just a dick measuring contest between local and federal authorities with the burn boss caught in the cross fire?

my son is watching the case closely when he's not burning piles

1666974910530.png