*** The Official Wildland FIRE Thread ***

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Yeah the heat's on now. The "season" has begun. Stay safe and hydrated Firebird, ICU and Iceman.

Just summer-

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Yeah the heat's on now. The "season" has begun. Stay safe and hydrated Firebird, ICU and Iceman.

Just summer-
NWS and NOAA have already debunked that tourist trap Death Valley temp gauge. It's not properly set up to NWS/NOAA standards for accuracy. It's usually shows 2-3+ degrees warmer than their official temp gauge in the area.

Record for Death Valley is 134 in 1914. DV gets into the 120's every summer.

But ya, this is a very hot late summer for the entire West interior from WA/ID to CA/AZ.
Inland ORE just over the coastal mtns from me on the coast in S. OR is hitting 100 many days the last few weeks. No different than Temecula in So Cal this time of year. While we stay in the 60's during the day, with the few 70's days feeling like a heat wave. Mid 50's at night. Not much different in temp ranges (10 degrees between hi/lo) than Kauai, just 20 degrees cooler overall. It's beautiful today, after a few days stretch of low clouds/fog hanging tough. Hot days inland sometimes suck in the coastal fog and it sticks all day. Similar to So Cal's June gloom days where sometimes it doesn't burn off.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
NWS and NOAA have already debunked that tourist trap Death Valley temp gauge. It's not properly set up to NWS/NOAA standards for accuracy. It's usually shows 2-3+ degrees warmer than their official temp gauge in the area.

Record for Death Valley is 134 in 1914. DV gets into the 120's every summer.

But ya, this is a very hot late summer for the entire West interior from WA/ID to CA/AZ.
Inland ORE just over the coastal mtns from me on the coast in S. OR is hitting 100 many days the last few weeks. No different than Temecula in So Cal this time of year. While we stay in the 60's during the day, with the few 70's days feeling like a heat wave. Mid 50's at night. Not much different in temp ranges (10 degrees between hi/lo) than Kauai, just 20 degrees cooler overall. It's beautiful today, after a few days stretch of low clouds/fog hanging tough. Hot days inland sometimes suck in the coastal fog and it sticks all day. Similar to So Cal's June gloom days where sometimes it doesn't burn off.

So they didn't break the record (for hottest day in September) but they tied the record (which was set two years ago). Just summer?

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
Crazy hot this weekend, even in the Santa Cruz Mountains. So far we are staying put, though I took myself off the rotation so I can leave for my honeymoon to Portugal on Friday.

Reactions: Subway and One-Off

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
Oh and the rest of the report from the Six Rivers Lightning Complex last month:

We ended up staying a total of 14 days, going out everyday for 12 hour shifts, which gets hectic because it never leaves much time in the evening to get reset. I ended up getting kinda sick on day 10 and stayed at basecamp for the day, but was fine the rest of the time, just a simple cold that came and went. The neighborhood we were working in actually got repopulated around day 7, so we spent the last week helping residents get settled back in, and filling water tanks since their water lines from the main well were burned up. Typically, we would have been sent home way before people come back to a previously evacuated zone, so it was actually a unique opportunity to meet people and hear their stories about the fire and life in general. Lots of cool dogs too! Multiple residents invited us back on our personal travels to hang, drink some beers, and show us the best spots on the river for fishing.

Other parts of the fire were much more active during our time there, but we were never reassigned to a different division, so we just did a lot of patrol and PR work. With the lack of actual "firefighting" going on, coupled with the 12 hour shifts, it made the days drag on. But the crew was in good spirits, and we got along great with the other engines. We were part of a task force comprised of multiple counties, so it was our first time meeting most of our team, but we all had a blast together.

It was good to get back home though, as I had already been working for a week straight leading up to the deployment. Took a couple extra days off to reset, got some waves for 4 days straight, and wife was stoked to have some company. :cool:

Wouldn't be surprised to have more deployments going into October once I'm back from vacation.

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
The town my GF grew up in is probably going to burn up in the rum creek fire tonight. The house that her mom lives in which her grandparents built. Her dads place, her cousins place. All the neighbors. Its pretty fcked.
Everything turn out okay?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Everything turn out okay?
actually yes. it was touch and go but the winds finally backed off and the firefighters managed to keep it from burning the town. barely. i guess the fire that threatened the town was actually a back burn that got out of control. the fire got within a couple hundred feet of her parents house. pretty nuts.

• Wow
Reactions: Iceman

doubleup

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 18, 2019
We've got fires to the East, Northeast, and Southeast of us right now. None closer than ~75 miles, but with strong ENE winds the air outside is borderline unbreathable. It was a long, wet, Spring here which may or may not help. The next several weeks could be gnarly. Between the legal and illegal immigrants, it appears Mexico is providing 15% or more of the firefighters.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
We've got fires to the East, Northeast, and Southeast of us right now. None closer than ~75 miles, but with strong ENE winds the air outside is borderline unbreathable. It was a long, wet, Spring here which may or may not help. The next several weeks could be gnarly. Between the legal and illegal immigrants, it appears Mexico is providing 15% or more of the firefighters.
Where is "here"?

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
Damn. Just missed the chance to go out again.
Our brush truck is still out of service needing repairs from the last fire, and so we didn't get the call.

Reactions: Icu812 and One-Off

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Prayers bro. I don’t know how something like this gets off the ground but when sh!t gets real, there’s only so much the Firebirds/crews can do and I know if it came to it I ain’t evacuating but then again I ain’t got much else to lose.

Jul 25, 2020
My locale (WA state) has gone berzerk the last few days with fires and smoke popping up everywhere. This sucks but so thankful for fire crews out there on the front lines. E winds have been good for surf though.