Album Surfboards

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Fair enough although the varials arent really that white to begon with. Just grabbed the 2 yr old townsend and a less than 1 yr old varial to compare. Xtr is definitely a brighter white in person but hard to say if it shows up in pic.View attachment 136271
Is the PJ poly or epoxy? I've only had poly's and mine look the same.

Supposedly the epoxies with S-cloth, look more white.

My incoming Stamps is going to be epoxy, but I asked for no brightener so the gray spray (hopefully) doesn't look purple in the sun.

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Is the PJ poly or epoxy? I've only had poly's and mine look the same.

Supposedly the epoxies with S-cloth, look more white.

My incoming Stamps is going to be epoxy, but I asked for no brightener so the gray spray (hopefully) doesn't look purple in the sun.
Its poly. It doesnt bother me but its def not as white as most new white boards.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Varial is like an off white more than a yellow white.

my two pu varials are slightly different but very similar in white.

nothing is as yellow as my old 00‘s CI. that’s my benchmark.

Reactions: Aruka and SD_Dan

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
xtr white still yellows and grays still are purple can confirm. Color jobs still shift their color also from the yellowing just a lot harder to notice but i've seen it on all mine and friends. Happens a lot more faster down in socal than up north where mine always seemed a brighter white. Maybe just the more sun/less overcast effect.

Reactions: oeste858 and Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
xtr white still yellows and grays still are purple can confirm. Color jobs still shift their color also from the yellowing just a lot harder to notice but i've seen it on all mine and friends. Happens a lot more faster down in socal than up north where mine always seemed a brighter white. Maybe just the more sun/less overcast effect.
Aye, that's a good point I hadn't considered. Definitely less sunny days up here.

• Haha
Reactions: oeste858

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Usually not into lost boards but that pj?looks really nice(y)
Puddle Jumper HP.

Came out wider than I ordered and I put a bunch of dents in the bottom first session so I'm kind of harsh on it. Original PJ I really dig.

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
I agree with @racer1 ...a few surfs now on 5' 6" Insanity. I like it! This one is right sized for me, and Matt made it a dedicated twin plus trailer. Until now, I haven't found a board that worked well as a twin plus trailer. The Insanity is more refined than the Twinsman.

Insanity (left) and Twinsman (right)
2022-08-20 11.22.25.jpg

and for comparison
Insanity versus Bullet Twin
2022-08-20 11.24.21.jpg

2022-08-20 11.25.09.jpg

Last edited:

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
I have only gotten a few surf sessions or one surf session on the recent boards. They are so good. I am happy! I am selling some of my other boards now, because of these are so good.

As mentioned, I finally got the 5' 7" Bullet Twin working with the small Gemini fins. I almost didn't want to surf the new boards because of how well the Bullet Twin was performing for me. Of course, you have to surf new boards once they arrive.

Between the Bullet Twin working well, and each new board working equally as well or better, I was less interested in surfing the next one.

The 5' 11" Moonstone had a great feel. I know it has lots of potential and it will be fun to figure this one out. I am excited to surf this one more. I am waiting 5-7 days for my installation of a leash plug in a new location to properly cure, which is a good thing to take one of the boards out of the line up.

Then I surfed the 5' 6" Insanity (twin plus trailer), and it also worked great, as DD/hybrid shorter board. I was not expecting head high waves for the first surf on the board. I probably would have surfed a board with more length, but luckily didn't have anything else in the truck. For the wave size, the little Insanity worked very well. Some of my twins are too fast when waves get this big and punchy. The Insanity felt balanced, it could handle the drop, provided speed, but that little trailer was magically as it provided that nudge of control so you could really push it. It didn't have much limitation other than competing with folks on midlengths, guns, and longboards. Another winner! I also surfed it in a shorebreak - it is a good DD.

Today (waist to chest), all I wanted to do was surf the Bullet Twin or Insanity. However, I needed to surf the 6' 0"x18.25" Sterlana with Akila fins. Another amazing board...it worked as expected (stepdown Townsend). The Sterlana got into the waves that tad bit early owing to its length but the narrowness allowed it to move so easily. My bottom and top turns never felt so good, and just wanted more of this. The board has a fun cheat factor, while maintaining performance. I have a 5' 8"x18.25 skinny RT Twinsman. I need to surf these back to back. At the moment, I prefer the 6' 0" more. The additional length makes the board more fun with no noticeable limitations.

Now after surfing them, I would say the Sterlana is probably the board that I drawn to the most, though by small margin.