Gonna be in San Jose del Cabo for 9 days. What to do?

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
1977, drove all the way which in those days was quite an adventure. Camped on the beach at what is now called Zippers, just slept on the sand. Only a few other surfers camping. Surf was rideable but not great. The only structures on the beach between the Palmilla and the El Presidente was this trailer park down by where I think the Posada Real is now, you could take a shower there for a quarter. Hardly any restaurants in San Jose, but the supermercado sold ice and beer and the usual, and you could drink the tap water so we would fill our jugs in these spickets in the main square. Every day this old guy with no teeth would come down the hill with his donkey and charge us a dollar to sleep on his beach. The road to Todos was still dirt but they were working on it and we had to get a tow from some construction guy in a bulldozer to get across this river that was flowing.

Been there 3 other times since, once camping in '80 when it was still pretty pristine and twice in the '90s with a chick, staying at fancy hotels and drinking and screwing and spending $$$. Nothing as magical as that first trip, though.

No desire to go back to Cabo now.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Aruka

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
TR:

- Beautiful place, the erosion factor is such a trip. I enjoyed not being around people most of the day as per usual. Loved the daily thunderstorms.
- East Cape was pretty lackluster while I was there, the surf never got good, I know it does but energy has to line up properly it seems. SR seems a bit of a hoax, I'm sure it has it's day though.
- Local Mexicans surfed well. Minimal competition from visiting surfers.
- Water in the upper 80s on the East Cape, you're literally dripping in sweat when you step out of the car (and I never sweat) yet saw a guy surfing in a fullsuit, booties and hood. He must've used Crisco to get it on. I was baffled.
- When in Todos Santos eat at Bar Bahia.
- If near Cerritos eat at Carnitas "Machin"
- Bring a shortboard and a low rockered grovely board (Psycho Nitro would be perfect)
- Very easy to surf alone or with minimal crowd if that's what you want. Had no problems with the locals at more popular spots.
- It does not get more cringe than "La Lupita". Velvet rope at a taco shop? LOL.
- Don't be an idiot when you get gas, because the assumption is you are. Moreso than elsewhere. At least it seemed that way to me.
- When there were chicks on the sand the Beach Boner factor was an 8.5/10, which was surprising.
- Perhaps avoid this trip altogether, because you WILL die.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: MathDebater

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Also saw a fight in the street in TS outside Coppel, a fat gringa in a fight with a busty blonde gringa, with some older gringo playing timid referee. Both chicks prob in their late 40s. The fat chick threw a huge michelada in the face of the busty. Screaming, shouting obscenities. Free show while I enjoyed my fish post-surf. Thanks ladies, wherever you are. <3

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Care to elaborate?
The attendants at gas stations on the main road try to rob when you get gas. Confirmed with the locals. If they see you're in a rental car/tourist or even a plate from another Mexican state it's game on. I was cued in instantly the first time I went to fill up and a second attendant/thief (who I ignored, other than to tell to beat it) started with a barrage of stupid questions that were none of his business while the other attendant/thief moved as quickly as possible to try to "accidentally" start pumping without zeroing the pump and I immediately called him on it. Similar distraction attempts every other time. Talked to some Colombians who got bill switched as well. Typical procedure in Mex is always get out of the car when getting gas cause they scam but these fvckers were shameless.

Reactions: MathDebater

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
The attendants at gas stations on the main road try to rob when you get gas. Confirmed with the locals. If they see you're in a rental car/tourist or even a plate from another Mexican state it's game on. I was cued in instantly the first time I went to fill up and a second attendant/thief (who I ignored, other than to tell to beat it) started with a barrage of stupid questions that were none of his business while the other attendant/thief moved as quickly as possible to try to "accidentally" start pumping without zeroing the pump and I immediately called him on it. Similar distraction attempts every other time. Talked to some Colombians who got bill switched as well. Typical procedure in Mex is always get out of the car when getting gas cause they scam but these fvckers were shameless.
that game is nothing new

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
that game is nothing new
weird maybe it's a rental thing. got gas in baja countless times and they always point out that the pump is zero'd. then when done they show you liters, price, and exchange rate. always seemed more than honest for me. maybe it's different in Sur, closer to cabo

oh and not gonna lie, some of the gas attendants in N baja, even in mexicali are kinda cute. Girls too :)

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
weird maybe it's a rental thing. got gas in baja countless times and they always point out that the pump is zero'd. then when done they show you liters, price, and exchange rate. always seemed more than honest for me. maybe it's different in Sur, closer to cabo

oh and not gonna lie, some of the gas attendants in N baja, even in mexicali are kinda cute. Girls too :)
Always a few looking to supplement their income whether it be at the Pumps, a person with a Badge or anyone giving you change. In my experience its the first impression from you that goes a long way. Learn some of the language and greet them with it.

And yes there are good humans on the Peninsula for sure especially outside tourist zones.

Super cute gals at some of the stations and there for a reason.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
In my experience its the first impression from you that goes a long way. Learn some of the language and greet them with it.
Can assure you from personal experience and the experience of others they don't give two fucks if you speak Spanish or it's your native language. Just makes their job easier if you don't.

If you're a gringo who speaks good Spanish it's a great opening for a scammer - gives them opportunity to draw you in with flattery, asking where you learned it, etc while cooking something up. A cold or disinterested response goes a long way, it's the exact opposite of what they want - to use your natural instinct to see good in people and be nice - throws them off balance and they lose control of the situation.

If you think they're honest they're scamming you and you probably don't even realize it. Thieves are thieves - coldhearted and lacking any empathy. Always. And often with a smile.

It sucks to have to play it this way, but a lot of times you gotta do it when traveling in lands rife with scammers.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Can assure you from personal experience and the experience of others they don't give two fucks if you speak Spanish or it's your native language. Just makes their job easier if you don't.

If you're a gringo who speaks good Spanish it's a great opening for a scammer - gives them opportunity to draw you in with flattery, asking where you learned it, etc while cooking something up. A cold or disinterested response goes a long way, it's the exact opposite of what they want - to use your natural instinct to see good in people and be nice.

If you think they're honest they're scamming you and you probably don't even realize it. Thieves are thieves - coldhearted and lacking any empathy. Always.

It sucks to have to play it this way, but a lot of times you gotta do it when traveling in lands rife with scammers.
Weird I just treat everyone nicely, do my best to communicate with my semi-decent spanish and pretty much never have any issues.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Weird I just treat everyone nicely, do my best to communicate with my semi-decent spanish and pretty much never have any issues.
It's not weird, the idea being most scams is to take advantage of your niceness without you realizing it.

Scammers tend to be really good at what they do, especially in places where scamming is a tradition and they know there will be minimal consequences.

The comments below the video say it all:

Les comparto lo que hice: Tome todos los billetes de 500 de mi cartera en un viaje de Playa del Carmen a Mexico. Anote los numeros de serie de los mismos en una libreta. Y en cada gasolinera que paré, marcaba los que iba a usar para pagar. Es increible pero en 3 de 4 intentaron el truquito. En cuanto los confrontas, los mas cínicos te dicen que estás loco, pero entonces no lo dejas moverse de ahi, llamas al supervisor, y le muestras la libreta y le pides que vacíe sus bolsillos. Se llevan gran sorpresa cuando ven que el numero de tu libreta es el del billete que segun ellos "no les diste". O bien, como este caballero, los filmas. Trataré mañana.

Last edited:

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008

If you're a gringo who speaks good Spanish it's a great opening for a scammer - gives them opportunity to draw you in with flattery, asking where you learned it, etc while cooking something up. A cold or disinterested response goes a long way, it's the exact opposite of what they want - to use your natural instinct to see good in people and be nice - throws them off balance and they lose control of the situation.

If you think they're honest they're scamming you and you probably don't even realize it. Thieves are thieves - coldhearted and lacking any empathy. Always. And often with a smile.

Let's hear some tales about your generosity while you were there. I mean since you live in one of the most expensive cities in the US, can travel for recreation, and your annual income is presumably 50X++ median income in Mex, seems a good dude would spread some of that around.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
It's not weird, the idea being most scams is to take advantage of your niceness without you realizing it.

Scammers tend to be really good at what they do, especially in places where scamming is a tradition and they know there will be minimal consequences.

The comments below the video say it all:

Les comparto lo que hice: Tome todos los billetes de 500 de mi cartera en un viaje de Playa del Carmen a Mexico. Anote los numeros de serie de los mismos en una libreta. Y en cada gasolinera que paré, marcaba los que iba a usar para pagar. Es increible pero en 3 de 4 intentaron el truquito. En cuanto los confrontas, los mas cínicos te dicen que estás loco, pero entonces no lo dejas moverse de ahi, llamas al supervisor, y le muestras la libreta y le pides que vacíe sus bolsillos. Se llevan gran sorpresa cuando ven que el numero de tu libreta es el del billete que segun ellos "no les diste". O bien, como este caballero, los filmas. Trataré mañana.
I know that gas station. When I was moving here from the DF I stopped there to buy gas and the culeros tried to scam me for two quarts of oil that I didn’t need at four times the price. Los mandé a la verga. Li dat.

Reactions: mundus

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Let's hear some tales about your generosity while you were there. I mean since you live in one of the most expensive cities in the US, can travel for recreation, and your annual income is presumably 50X++ median income in Mex, seems a good dude would spread some of that around.
:rolleyes:

I alerted people to how much scamming is going on in the area at gas stations. Someone asked me to elaborate, and I did.

I didn't say it was Egypt.

Just to be very wary of gas stations.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I got screwed over at a cabo gas station, I realized it, but let the guy get away with it , did not want to get in fight over being overcharged a few bucks.

Last edited:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
:rolleyes:

I alerted people to how much scamming is going on in the area at gas stations. Someone asked me to elaborate, and I did.

I didn't say it was Egypt.

Just to be very wary of gas stations.
In the area? Different state.

Reactions: grg