Album Surfboards

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
New Victor Model

Boxes look pretty nuts all splayed out like so...want a BG 6'3 21.5 x2.75+!!

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
What fins are the Townsend people using?
6-8 asym, Fascination twins.
6-6 RP, Shapers AR

Townsend doesn't feel like an overly fin sensitive board. I like the bigger fins for more built in drive so I can ride more cruisy and relaxed. If I want to rip it a bit more something smaller like the Rasta's or more upright like the AMT's felt good to me.

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I liked the Gemini template on them. I ran the smaller set on my 6'3" rounded pin to make it more playful on the face and still felt stable enough for me with that tail. 6'8" diamond I couldn't feel them enough and the bigger size felt better on that wider tail.

Reactions: j_mac

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
I liked the Gemini template on them. I ran the smaller set on my 6'3" rounded pin to make it more playful on the face and still felt stable enough for me with that tail. 6'8" diamond I couldn't feel them enough and the bigger size felt better on that wider tail.
Funny you mention the Geminis....
I have struggled to figure out the right fins for the 5' 7" Bullet Twin - Akilas, Rasta, NVS, Large Asher Shapers. These were hit or miss depending on the conditions. The Bullet Twin kind of fell out of my rotation owing to this. A week or so ago, I figured I try the small Geminis, and these are the right fins for the board! I have now surfed the Bullet Twin with the small Geminis in various conditions and they work well. Now the board is at the top of the rotation.

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
How are the lights off glass jobs that dont have the visible pizza boxes? Im tempted by the clear plasmic boards but dont want a board that will have issues for 1300

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Personally, I will never get another clear XTR due to the yellowing. Happy to pay a bit more for them to do a colored spray / faux resin tint. Just my 2 cents
When is the last time you got a white xtr? My old ones yellowed a bit but the roughly two year old townsend i have is still pretty white.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
When is the last time you got a white xtr? My old ones yellowed a bit but the roughly two year old townsend i have is still pretty white.
> 2 yrs. But every couple years they claim they’ve found a new epoxy resin that finally solves the yellowing!… so I take it with a grain of salt. I think a few guys have said this latest one seems good so far. Fingers crossed. Anyway, I’ve warmed up to a subtle solid color boar now.
I really like XTR builds, but to me, the yellowing is one plus for Varial vs XTR.

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
> 2 yrs. But every couple years they claim they’ve found a new epoxy resin that finally solves the yellowing!… so I take it with a grain of salt. I think a few guys have said this latest one seems good so far. Fingers crossed. Anyway, I’ve warmed up to a subtle solid color boar now.
I really like XTR builds, but to me, the yellowing is one plus for Varial vs XTR.
Fair enough although the varials arent really that white to begon with. Just grabbed the 2 yr old townsend and a less than 1 yr old varial to compare. Xtr is definitely a brighter white in person but hard to say if it shows up in pic.20220818_181134.jpg