East Coast Crew

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Surf was fun yesterday and the day before, NNJ coast. Missed this morning had to work.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
you know it was firing, I had a stomach ache for who knows what reason. Woke up for dawn patrol Wednesday with head high waves and light offshores right down the block, nearly puked up my coffee, went back to bed

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
you know it was firing, I had a stomach ache for who knows what reason. Woke up for dawn patrol Wednesday with head high waves and light offshores right down the block, nearly puked up my coffee, went back to bed
I checked it soon after sunrise yesterday and there were way Too many guys chasing knee high waves
Where were the head high waves?

Reactions: menobrah

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I checked it soon after sunrise yesterday and there were way Too many guys chasing knee high waves
Where were the head high waves?
Lincoln cam rewind definitely looks better than knee high.

Lincoln cam right now looks better than Jax Beach. Of course, even if the surf was good, the sky is fucking exploding, and sometimes the sky explosion is reaching down and touching a tree or something, and then that fucking explodes.

Hopefully it stays overcast and super light offshore wind and I can throw fly today at Mayport. Two nights ago I swore I was going to flycast and literally as I'm thinking that the breeze freshened right up. 30 seconds 5wt->8wt-7'6" 10#->9'6" 14#. Decisions made for me.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Lincoln cam rewind definitely looks better than knee high.

Lincoln cam right now looks better than Jax Beach. Of course, even if the surf was good, the sky is fucking exploding, and sometimes the sky explosion is reaching down and touching a tree or something, and then that fucking explodes.

Hopefully it stays overcast and super light offshore wind and I can throw fly today at Mayport. Two nights ago I swore I was going to flycast and literally as I'm thinking that the breeze freshened right up. 30 seconds 5wt->8wt-7'6" 10#->9'6" 14#. Decisions made for me.
8wt should be able to cast into the wind up to about 15mph. i hate the shorebreak most of all flyfishing the beach.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
8wt should be able to cast into the wind up to about 15mph. i hate the shorebreak most of all flyfishing the beach.
I wish shorebreak was a problem. Low impact beaches in the Duval. I'm a solid 50 yards out and I don't have a stripping basket. A wave comes every 7 seconds so there's basically no time - your line is knotted around your legs basically as soon as you pull it off the spool. And I get pretty pissed off if I don't catch anything, and having zero structure to target and having to blindly fan cast into 15mph wind with a wave every 7 seconds sounds like a recipe for frustration.

Sometimes I get lucky and there's a rip. Usually there's dick squat.

I know the pics look flat but when you're in thigh deep water a knee high wave is a problem. And it seems like every double up in the Atlantic ocean wedges onto me when I'm fishing.

Also I can't cast into anything remotely resembling 15mph.

Reactions: mundus

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I wish shorebreak was a problem. Low impact beaches in the Duval. I'm a solid 50 yards out and I don't have a stripping basket. A wave comes every 7 seconds so there's basically no time - your line is knotted around your legs basically as soon as you pull it off the spool. And I get pretty pissed off if I don't catch anything, and having zero structure to target and having to blindly fan cast into 15mph wind with a wave every 7 seconds sounds like a recipe for frustration.

Sometimes I get lucky and there's a rip. Usually there's dick squat.

I know the pics look flat but when you're in thigh deep water a knee high wave is a problem. And it seems like every double up in the Atlantic ocean wedges onto me when I'm fishing.

Also I can't cast into anything remotely resembling 15mph.
I know the frustration, striping basket is a necessity for me.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Three consecutive days of waves with everyone frothing. Tuesday before dark was sloppy but fun. Yesterday evening I found a peak all to myself and had a blast with chest to shoulder high semi-clean race tracks. This morning was small but glassy. Was hoping to get another session in this evening but the wind is cranking sideshore now.

Reactions: Senor Sopa

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Fck casting an 8wt into 15mph wind on the beaches.
It'd be different South of the Cape during the mullet run. Tons of the time the fish are right there swimming up out of the trough onto the sand ledge.

Got a small trout in the marsh creek to start. It was raining so I figured that spot might be empty of folk and win. Felt slow so decided to head back to the surf at Mayport and got a slot-sized trout, hooked another and missed a few others. It's like 5 minutes from the marsh to the surf. When I left the marsh, it was a very light WNW. When I got to the beach, it was very breezy sideshore out of the South.