Lost 1996 Round Nose Fish?

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Can someone give a comparison of the RNF96 vs. the RNF Redux? I have a 5'8 RNF Redux in Black Dart with front fins set at 10.25" and center box at 3.25" and it is high performance twin. Can anyone parse the distinction in feel? I know the tail at 12" is narrower and there is no wing, but can anyone give a driver's perspective? Here's a photo of the fin set up I am running in it for comparison. View attachment 136016
Never ridden a RNF Redux, but I used to own a Sharpeye Modern2 which has a similar wing swallow tail shape. IIRC, the front fins on the Sharpeye were at 9.5”, and the fins on the RNF96 are even further back at 8.75”.

Compared to the ride of the Modern2, the RNF96 has more forward drive and holds better backside, from my experience.

pics of both boars with the same fin setup:
C728E805-A6CD-49B4-B9D7-50540999CF56.jpg7B521D7D-85D5-47DF-9C9B-83D86EFF0F12.jpg

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I need to go fondle some stoke boards to get a feel of what I want to order.
I'm currently riding a 5'9 stoke, but it's too big and I got it just to try the board used first (un-yolo) and I love it.
It feels great, maybe a touch too big sometimes but once you get on that tail/rail rocker it's magic.
I'm 6'1, should I go 5'8? Smaller?
Wardo claims he's 6 foot and Corey Lopez says he's 5'10, both are lying I'm sure but they were riding 5'5's.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Can someone give a comparison of the RNF96 vs. the RNF Redux? I have a 5'8 RNF Redux in Black Dart with front fins set at 10.25" and center box at 3.25" and it is high performance twin. Can anyone parse the distinction in feel? I know the tail at 12" is narrower and there is no wing, but can anyone give a driver's perspective? Here's a photo of the fin set up I am running in it for comparison. View attachment 136016
HP twin should not have training wheel box "back box" if its hp :shrug:

Reactions: urchined

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
I need to go fondle some stoke boards to get a feel of what I want to order.
I'm currently riding a 5'9 stoke, but it's too big and I got it just to try the board used first (un-yolo) and I love it.
It feels great, maybe a touch too big sometimes but once you get on that tail/rail rocker it's magic.
I'm 6'1, should I go 5'8? Smaller?
Wardo claims he's 6 foot and Corey Lopez says he's 5'10, both are lying I'm sure but they were riding 5'5's.
Not sure if that helps but I'm 6'2 (relative narrow stance though) about 185 and just put an order in for a stock 5'7. The shop only carried a 5'8 which certainly would have worked. But the nose felt like a bit much so I managed to resist the urge.

Reactions: racer1

dirtandrib

OTF status
Jan 24, 2011
NC
Rowjimmy, my nomenclature may need to be changed, then. I describe a high performance twin as having the fast, skittish linear speed that is a harder to control in harder, square turns off the bottom (as opposed to the longer semi-circle turns off the bottom). I do agree that this board is not like a "pure" twin, but also not a "thruster" feel either. I reckon hp twin feel for me is a halfway blend.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Rowjimmy, my nomenclature may need to be changed, then. I describe a high performance twin as having the fast, skittish linear speed that is a harder to control in harder, square turns off the bottom (as opposed to the longer semi-circle turns off the bottom). I do agree that this board is not like a "pure" twin, but also not a "thruster" feel either. I reckon hp twin feel for me is a halfway blend.
I really was just giving you hard time but with fin position up like on both my twins you have to stomp on the fin cluster to gain control and long carving turns work best instead of up down vertical attack in pocket like thruster. I would say modern hp twin has fins back ie: Aipa, album.etc.:shaka:

Jan 10, 2014
Own the RNF redux but haven’t had a chance to feel up a 96 yet. I asked catalyst what the difference was and this is the response I got

”The main difference between the two is the redux has the wing down on the tail making it a little more pivoty in the tail allowing it to have a more performance. The 96 holds its rail all the way down which will make the board a little faster. I have surfed both boards and I feel the 96 is a little more grovely but still has more than enough performance. I'd go with the 96 for the west coast of florida”

Reactions: JDJ and oeste858

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
Own the RNF redux but haven’t had a chance to feel up a 96 yet. I asked catalyst what the difference was and this is the response I got

”The main difference between the two is the redux has the wing down on the tail making it a little more pivoty in the tail allowing it to have a more performance. The 96 holds its rail all the way down which will make the board a little faster. I have surfed both boards and I feel the 96 is a little more grovely but still has more than enough performance. I'd go with the 96 for the west coast of florida”
Gorkin approved!

dirtandrib

OTF status
Jan 24, 2011
NC

Thanks for sharing. That is good to know.

Reactions: tcureton

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Seriously though, Gorkin was a phenomenal arial surfer. Underrated to an extent. Look at how smooth and seamless those airs and grabs were.

Not all herky jerky like some in the top 5 at the moment.
Yeah, agree he did sick airs. Seemed like where he’s from kinda limited his exposure. Maybe didn’t have the backing from …lost to travel much?
Edit: seemed like he had some personality. He probably would’ve been bigger in todays social media environment for free surfers.

isn’t he still shaping boars? Seemed like he got some support from Biolos when he started

edit: looks like he's down in Nica now:
Aaron “ Gorkin” Cormican
Manager of @javajunglenorthnicaragua living my best life in paraíso

Last edited: