i love being at the beach, but.....

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Orange County Casualty
how the FUG am i supposed to continue on living without a decent taco truck nowhere within a 40-ish minute drive?! SERIOUSLY!!!!!! i used to be within 5 minutes of handfuls of solid options...NOW? the closest one (fifteen at best?) is absolute dogshat. i know im pocho and deserve nothing but del taco but dear god....can we get some paisa action around here?! fugggggggg

pathetic rant over
Yeah man. Lack of diversity is a bitch

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
40 minutes? check your privilege ese. i don't think there's a decent taco in this entire godforsaken state.
Yes, I can concur immensely. We have a couple that "try" to get authentic, even with Mex So Cal cred, but it's like they get close one day, and then it's back to gringo mex another day (S coast ORE). Better than it used to be, but the ONLY thing I miss about coastal So Cal, and the little Mex dives every other strip mall corner. Really took that availability for granted.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Pedro's in SC and O'side is barely Mex by most So Cal standards. Can't believe the lines that place gets in SC.
I got ya. There are two Mexican places I get food here. One is totally Americanized and the other is 100% authentic Mexican including the clientele which is at least 80% Mexican immigrants. The food in the two places is very different but both are good.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
For most part, OC is not holding for Mexican food. I'm still laughing they cut that one small burrito in half at that spot near your place, 20w. Smorgasbord of Mexican food up in Santa Rosa.

Some good local sh!t; probably a reason the average BMI here is in the 50s - no way to compete with sbd's pics.

But have some Quesabirria, get those arteries nice, clogged, and cleared with a few Negra Modelos to wash down, and life is good.

1660592918381.png

And then there's this place Molcajetes...

1660593725690.png

:jamon::jamon::jamon::jamon::jamon:

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
For most part, OC is not holding for Mexican food. I'm still laughing they cut that one small burrito in half at that spot near your place, 20w. Smorgasbord of Mexican food up in Santa Rosa.

Some good local sh!t; probably a reason the average BMI here is in the 50s - no way to compete with sbd's pics.

But have some Quesabirria, get those arteries nice, clogged, and cleared with a few Negra Modelos to wash down, and life is good.

View attachment 136028

View attachment 136032

That first pic of tacos looks like how I make my kitchen sink grilled breakfast burritos.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I got ya. There are two Mexican places I get food here. One is totally Americanized and the other is 100% authentic Mexican including the clientele which is at least 80% Mexican immigrants. The food in the two places is very different but both are good.
You've been steered wrong and it's not your fault. I don't know what else is in San Clemente but when I was taken there years ago I said to myself there has to be a better taco shop in san clemente!

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom

View attachment 136028

View attachment 136032

Did you get to that spot in Sebastopol yet? I think I recommended it, Martha’s.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Did you get to that spot in Sebastopol yet? I think I recommended it, Martha’s.
Not gotten there but on a long list!

You've been steered wrong and it's not your fault. I don't know what else is in South Orange County but when I was taken there years ago I said to myself there has to be a better taco shop in South Orange County!
Fixed. Adolfo's in South Laguna has some pretty damn good enchiladas but overall, the whole region is lacking.

San Diego? SuperCocina on University is my all-time favorite. But a shitload of great Mexican food in SD overall.

Reactions: MathDebater

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Not gotten there but on a long list!

Fixed. Adolfo's in South Laguna has some pretty damn good enchiladas but overall, the whole region is lacking.

San Diego? SuperCocina on University is my all-time favorite. But a shitload of great Mexican food in SD overall.
What's great about SD Mex food, is the all the regional varieties. You got lots of Sonoran, but then there's coastal/tropical states with plenty of great seafood choices. Deeper interior Mex states with their more exotic blends and influences.

But, burritos are a totally American creation, and really shouldn't even be considered authentic Mex.
Though some are really, really good anyway. A good old fashioned carne asada burrito still pleases.