Everyday Sanity Check - Poll

Would you say something to someone who sat in the beach parking lot running their engine for an hour

• Total voters

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Went for a lunch time surf last week and parked next to a small car with an odd looking gentleman inside fixated on his phone. As I was gearing up I began to smell exhaust and noticed his vehicle was idling. Shook my head at the guy, and paddled out. Returned over an hour later to find the vehicle still running and the guy still completely absorbed in his phone inside the car alone.

Would you say something?

I have some serious stories of people who 'said something' and ended up in the hospital, so this can be a touchy subject. You never know when trouble might find you, even when you don't do anything to provoke it. That said, in certain situations (not this one) it is just as bad to stand by and do nothing.

Reactions: Havoc

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Probably wouldn’t as dumb as it is for a rando to do that.

the flip side is I do work mostly outdoors. So inside the truck is the only escape from the heat/cold. I do occasionally use my own vehicle so I could see how someone would think I wasn’t a worker escaping the elements.

Reactions: sdsrfr and Boneroni

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I did that on Saturday and and occasionally on hot days. It's all about the A/C. If someone said something it's not like I'd turn my car off, and I'd be happy to do a carbon footprint breathe holding conest with almost anyone but the homeless.:p

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Went for a lunch time surf last week and parked next to a small car with an odd looking gentleman inside fixated on his phone. As I was gearing up I began to smell exhaust and noticed his vehicle was idling. Shook my head at the guy, and paddled out. Returned over an hour later to find the vehicle still running and the guy still completely absorbed in his phone inside the car alone.

Would you say something?

I have some serious stories of people who 'said something' and ended up in the hospital, so this can be a touchy subject. You never know when trouble might find you, even when you don't do anything to provoke it. That said, in certain situations (not this one) it is just as bad to stand by and do nothing.
Why didn't you give him the ole "banana in the tailpipe?"

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

Would you say something?

Car AC requires the engine to run

Reactions: sdsrfr

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
+1 it’s currently hawt AF and only way to cool down is running the AC. chit, before our house with AC, hunny bunny and I would occasionally sit in our own driveway running the truck AC to cool down on days like this.

i don’t know that I would ever care about someone idling their car though, regardless of AC.

Why exactly should it irk anyone? It’s no different than sitting in traffic.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
YUP
Similar thing happened to me.
Parked at the market, lady fixated to her iPhone next to me with engine running.
Got what I came for, went back to truck, lady still looking at iPhone, engine still running.
Her window was down and as I was pulling out, I stopped and said to her... You do know you're getting ZERO miles to the gallon right now.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Chances are he's just an asshole. But you might not know the whole story, so I'd keep to yourself.

Like yelling at a deaf person in the surf because he dropped in and didn't hear you screaming 'going right!'

Reactions: mundus

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
So does charging a phone, usually. Bet it was either for AC or phone charge. What I don't understand is people south of Oregon letting their cars "warm up" in fucking summer.
You can turn your car ignition to start with out car running to charge cell phone on most cars but ac tou need fan running.