Andy Lyons For Mayor!

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
i never said andy fought anyone. never saw a blow thrown. simply going in and standing on the beach shuts up 99% of the dojo ballerina's. i once heard a great quote, i forget who said it, but they cracked joel tudor at blacks after an altercation... "how do you turn a black belt into a white belt? punch them in the throat." seems to make sense. violence never solves sh!t, but the "i know mma/gracie/muay" folks seem to get their asses handed to them on the street. but what do i know? i run from dudes who want to fight. to hell with that. pain hurts.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
i never said andy fought anyone. never saw a blow thrown. simply going in and standing on the beach shuts up 99% of the dojo ballerina's. i once heard a great quote, i forget who said it, but they cracked joel tudor at blacks after an altercation... "how do you turn a black belt into a white belt? punch them in the throat." seems to make sense. violence never solves sh!t, but the "i know mma/gracie/muay" folks seem to get their asses handed to them on the street. but what do i know? i run from dudes who want to fight. to hell with that. pain hurts.
As Tim Larkin likes to say, "When violence is the answer, it's the only answer." In general, apply his "3 day rule" to social violence - how are you going to feel about this 3 days later? With asocial violence, you have no choice.

I'm still sympathetic to guys like Lyons dealing with LA County back paddlers. :barf::poop::geek:

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
I just love to pull out the old Mike Tyson quote. "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth" Perhaps, one of the most truthful statements ever laid down. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I have seen this played out far too many times in my life. My Wife says working the Clubs in Hawaii has scarred me for life.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I just love to pull out the old Mike Tyson quote. "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth" Perhaps, one of the most truthful statements ever laid down. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I have seen this played out far too many times in my life. My Wife says working the Clubs in Hawaii has scarred me for life.
Rock-Za or Femme Nu ? :shrug:

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
I get it, but let's face it, plan beats no plan 99% of the time. I also get "dojo ballerinas" if someone is studying tae kwon do or doing katas all day. But six months in an MMA gym against an untrained opponent, tough guy or not, they are going to have a hard time. Sorry.

I used to love to fight. I just enjoyed it. I didn't care if I won or lost, and I lost a lot, but I thought it was fun. In Hauula it was like a pastime anyway. "We go scrap, friends after!" Never hurts until the next day anyway. I did it so much I got pretty good at it. But I like to say I got older just in time - no one used to train seriously, and now everyone does, at least in Hawaii. And all my experience against untrained drunks and punks and scrapping friends is all well and good, but against someone who trains seriously it means very little. I know. I started training and got my ass handed to me. By chicks, a couple times.

Sorry guys, the average dude who has spent two years steady in a Muay Thai gym or the average BJJ purple belt is going to fuck you up. End of story. That's just life. You can try to gouge their eyes or grab their nuts, it's just going to make them mad.

Maybe Andy can act like that because HE puts the time in and knows what he can do. Or maybe he's just been lucky. But every tough guy's luck runs out some time. If Malibu was in a place like Virginia Beach (SEALS) or Columbus (Rangers) or Coronado (more SEALS) where there are true trained killers walking around, you would really need to watch your temper.

Control yourselves people. It ain't 1985 anymore.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
makes me want to start training at the MMA place here on LB. Or is that sort of “mid life crisisey?“ :bricks:

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I get it, but let's face it, plan beats no plan 99% of the time. I also get "dojo ballerinas" if someone is studying tae kwon do or doing katas all day. But six months in an MMA gym against an untrained opponent, tough guy or not, they are going to have a hard time. Sorry.

I used to love to fight. I just enjoyed it. I didn't care if I won or lost, and I lost a lot, but I thought it was fun. In Hauula it was like a pastime anyway. "We go scrap, friends after!" Never hurts until the next day anyway. I did it so much I got pretty good at it. But I like to say I got older just in time - no one used to train seriously, and now everyone does, at least in Hawaii. And all my experience against untrained drunks and punks and scrapping friends is all well and good, but against someone who trains seriously it means very little. I know. I started training and got my ass handed to me. By chicks, a couple times.

Sorry guys, the average dude who has spent two years steady in a Muay Thai gym or the average BJJ purple belt is going to fook you up. End of story. That's just life. You can try to gouge their eyes or grab their nuts, it's just going to make them mad.

Maybe Andy can act like that because HE puts the time in and knows what he can do. Or maybe he's just been lucky. But every tough guy's luck runs out some time. If Malibu was in a place like Virginia Beach (SEALS) or Columbus (Rangers) or Coronado (more SEALS) where there are true trained killers walking around, you would really need to watch your temper.

Control yourselves people. It ain't 1985 anymore.
Well said! My best friends son is a SEAL and has been for about 6 years now.
I've spent some time with him and his fellow SEAL compadres and they are all scary AF.
All nice gentlemen but they have no fear whatsoever.
The biggest guys told me that when they go out there is always some dum dum that wants to mix it up.
They dispatch them with ease and usually try and go easy on them but that doesn't always go as planned for the dum dum that started the scrap.
Much respect to these fine young men.

Reactions: xxx and santacruzin

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Every time Fire Marshal Bill would appear on the radar I was always left questioning if he was a grade A miserable sweet and delicious bag of sugar. Now I have my answer. Truth’s recent situation is one thing, he got sent to hell and easily could’ve needed med attention as a result.

Fire Marshal Bill’s ego was bruised. And didnt Boner 5‘ say surfing is selfish? That’s all the offender was doing was being selfish. Shouldn’t his actions be lauded?

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Well said! My best friends son is a SEAL and has been for about 6 years now.
I've spent some time with him and his fellow SEAL compadres and they are all scary AF.
All nice gentlemen but they have no fear whatsoever.
The biggest guys told me that when they go out there is always some dum dum that wants to mix it up.
They dispatch them with ease and usually try and go easy on them but that doesn't always go as planned for the dum dum that started the scrap.
Much respect to these fine young men.
Bruh seals are just dudes who can take endless amounts of abuse without question.

They aren’t stellar world class athletes or killers like some would lead you to believe.

They’re just born a certain way and won’t quit

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Bruh seals are just dudes who can take endless amounts of abuse without question.

They aren’t stellar world class athletes or killers like some would lead you to believe.

They’re just born a certain way and won’t quit
I reckon that could be said about any high functioning individual in any occupation but I get your point. (y)

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Sure, if two guys square off in a dominance contest of social violence, the guy who trains is going to win unless he's fighting a guy who has been in the prison system ie a killer.
You're talking about social violence and a contest of dominance. This isn't really the street violence Waeihu and I are talking about.
Sorry guys, the average dude who has spent two years steady in a Muay Thai gym or the average BJJ purple belt is going to fook you up. End of story. That's just life. You can try to gouge their eyes or grab their nuts, it's just going to make them mad.
I get your point but this is inaccurate. Gouging someone's eyes will blind them and cause them to involuntarily reach for their eyes (spinal reflex). Grabbing their nuts, twisting, and pulling down will fracture a man's testicles, cause him to reach for his groin (spinal reflex) and take him out of the fight. Kicks/stomps to the perineum and symphysis pubis have a similar effect. Strikes to the trachea described above can cause you to asphyxiate (die) and also have a spinal reflex. This is why eye gouges are off limits in MMA and they wear cups. In fact, most of the most-vulnerable targets are off-limits. MMA is a sport. I would not suggest any MMA practitioner be overconfident in asocial street violence with someone who does it for a living. It's a good way to die. Do not do MMA against a killer.

Having lived in LA and dealt with the types of people who show up at Malibu, the BJJ guys are not going to be back-paddling punks in the lineup and most violent felons don't surf. Consequently, I think Lyons knows who he's dealing with. I would not do what he's doing nor recommend it, but neither will I condemn him for regulating entitled mofos.

Reactions: youcantbeserious

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
There's a jump to be made going from martial arts training to actual street fights. Some people are incapable of making that jump. For some of them it is physical. Training makes everyone better, but with striking in particular, there is an entry level of basic athleticism that is required IMHO. Some people simply don't have enough fast twitch capability to ever be effective. No matter how many years or what rank they attain. Some people lack the mentality. It's just not there. (these may be people that are more mentally healthy IMO.) That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with what they were training in. (although there are plenty of fraudulent MA instructors out there teaching BS). They just don't have that in them. Training isn't fighting. Even heavy contact training wearing gloves is different from what is going to happen bare knuckle/no rules/no ref/no mats. It's closer, but still not the same. You can't expect to be good at anything doing nothing but simulations. You will be better equipped than if you had done nothing, but no guarantees. And you can't train hardcore for ever. The idea is this is a life-long pursuit. There is a stage where going hard is valuable. The juice is worth the squeeze. But at some point, you have to back away from that. If you don't you are going to start carrying life-long physical damage with you. That becomes counter productive. You're crippling yourself and limiting future capability. I have been around mid 70 year olds that could still move. Still dangerous. Even with their max speed declining, their sense of timing and distance made them formidable. There is a LOT of value in going through the training and the various stages. And a lot of that value has NOTHING to do with fighting.

I'll shut up now.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
There's a jump to be made going from martial arts training to actual street fights. Some people are incapable of making that jump. For some of them it is physical. Training makes everyone better, but with striking in particular, there is an entry level of basic athleticism that is required IMHO. Some people simply don't have enough fast twitch capability to ever be effective. No matter how many years or what rank they attain. Some people lack the mentality. It's just not there. (these may be people that are more mentally healthy IMO.) That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with what they were training in. (although there are plenty of fraudulent MA instructors out there teaching BS). They just don't have that in them. Training isn't fighting. Even heavy contact training wearing gloves is different from what is going to happen bare knuckle/no rules/no ref/no mats. It's closer, but still not the same. You can't expect to be good at anything doing nothing but simulations. You will be better equipped than if you had done nothing, but no guarantees. And you can't train hardcore for ever. The idea is this is a life-long pursuit. There is a stage where going hard is valuable. The juice is worth the squeeze. But at some point, you have to back away from that. If you don't you are going to start carrying life-long physical damage with you. That becomes counter productive. You're crippling yourself and limiting future capability. I have been around mid 70 year olds that could still move. Still dangerous. Even with their max speed declining, their sense of timing and distance made them formidable. There is a LOT of value in going through the training and the various stages. And a lot of that value has NOTHING to do with fighting.

I'll shut up now.
Moral of the story: carry a shank at the 'bu.