Andy Lyons For Mayor!

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
This makes me laugh. I surfed for 45 years and surfed Malibu exactly once. In the 80's a south came in at the same time as a full moon. I always wanted to surf it, but the place was always packed and it didn't seem like too much fun. Made the drive from OC and arrived at 1am. There had to have been at least 75 people on it. But with the swell pushing, it was pretty fun. Nothing has changed, except the crowd has grown a bit. Still doesn't look like too much fun...
I too surfed it only once, around 1992 or so. Lucked out. Just driving through on a random weekday late afternoon in the spring on my way to San Diego and lucked into uncrowded, shoulder high Bu. Evening glass-off, caught 4 or 5 super fun ones. Maybe <20 guys out total. I thought it was great! Never seen it halfway decent with less than 100 guys out since.

Reactions: Aruka

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
andy is a good dude, until he's not. he wouldn't even be down at 1st if surfrider and heal the bay and all the other kook "activists" hadn't folded to the malibu city council and actually fixed the lagoon so 3rd broke properly. that's his main gripe. they ruined 3rd.
I have that gripe too. Was he the one going at night with a bobcat trying to open the breach at the top of the point?

But I kind of think that's a separate issue.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
imagine being almost 60 and getting that worked up over a literal 2 ft white water mush burger.

Bro- just walk away.

And workout so you can paddle faster up the point.

I know guys like Andy. They chirp and chirp and chirp and pick and act like clowns to vulnerable people. Younger and smaller then them is the usual M.O. for clowns like him.

Eventually they'll make the wrong dude mad and either get licked or embarassed in front of everyone and then claim that "Malibu has changed".

Clown to the highest degree.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Yup. Pretty sure he suffered some heavy fines for it too. And he was definitely right about the lagoon project. Third has never been the same since it was completed. But it is a separate issue.

Dirty Water podcast has a new interview with him about the incident. It's pretty entertaining. The guy gets fired up. My favorite part is the podcast ends by fading out while he is in the middle of another rant. :roflmao:

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
andy has never backed down from anyone i have ever seen. big dudes, total board ditching kooks, totally sounded out and they puff and up and say, "let's take it to the beach." andy goes into the beach. they have all walked away. i've known andy 40+ years. surfed many a day in that area with him. there's a LOT of back story not being remembered in this incident. the young man with the ding in his board, not his face, was back paddling a LOT, and not just andy. limited resources, way too many soft tops, surf schools, film me bro's, lawyers, and total idiots in one place, a lifelong local dude snaps, and it's the end of the world? get over it. it was a powder keg. didn't matter if it was 2' or 12'. someone, (yellow board soul kid single fin idiot) does not dictate lineup etiquette. long time locals do. if more dings were handed out, maybe malibu, and ALL of the over crowded kook filled fun wave places would still be fun.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
He has a bit of a point, but came off as a real dickhead on the podcast.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Jay Z summed these people up in the third verse perfectly:

"You know the type, loud as a motorbike
But wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight "

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
man, he wouldnt stop saying the same thing over and over on the beachgrit cast and as much as id like to agree with him - hes annoying. lol

malibu is a lost lost cause but the guy has a point about today/vs the old days - yada yada. i think someone else brought it up here earlier in the thread. when i was a grom - i was terrified to fuck up even in the mean streets of south OC. this eventually develops to proper etiquette.

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
if youve surfed in CA OR HI for as long as andy has you know the drlll and i cant help but respect him for the effort. is it like the alamo? yeah, but thats not the point.

i spend a fair amount of time these days keeping company with an old school enforcer. he's 76 and his body is all fucked up from a lifetime of it. army ranger. vietnam combat vet. westside local. been shot. necks been broke in the water at the bottom of a cliff. had a heart attack, mutiple broken bones and surgeries over the years.

he's done enforcing decorum in the water, just looking for a few waves to himself and leaving it to the next generation to keep order. but he's clear about it and puts it simply and quite literally-

he'd say, "its your spot but if you arent willing to fight for it, then you got no say when its taken from you"

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Where does everyone that surfs Malibu come from? LA?
Well, LA's a big, spread out city. Plus, it's probably the most famous surf spot in CA that even non-surfers have heard of. Where else is someone gonna go when they move to LA from wherever flyover state and decide they gotta surf now?
It was bad in 90's-00's when I lived in LA and used to surf there occasionally- can't imagine how nuts the soft top/ go pro social media /WFH pandemic crowds have gotten since then. But it's also one of those spots where one good really long right is so satisfying that it's enough to keep you coming back to battle the crowd.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
andy has never backed down from anyone i have ever seen. big dudes, total board ditching kooks, totally sounded out and they puff and up and say, "let's take it to the beach." andy goes into the beach. they have all walked away. i've known andy 40+ years. surfed many a day in that area with him. there's a LOT of back story not being remembered in this incident. the young man with the ding in his board, not his face, was back paddling a LOT, and not just andy. limited resources, way too many soft tops, surf schools, film me bro's, lawyers, and total idiots in one place, a lifelong local dude snaps, and it's the end of the world? get over it. it was a powder keg. didn't matter if it was 2' or 12'. someone, (yellow board soul kid single fin idiot) does not dictate lineup etiquette. long time locals do. if more dings were handed out, maybe malibu, and ALL of the over crowded kook filled fun wave places would still be fun.
I don't give a sh!t what this guy Andy does or doesn't do or what goes down at Malibu, but unless he puts in some serious training time, I don't buy he's won every fight or everyone's backed down. He's in one of the biggest cities on earth. Act like that long enough and you are guaranteed to meet the wrong guy. And I guarantee Andy has. And I guarantee he found a religion of peace when it happened, even if it only lasted an hour or so.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I don't give a sh!t what this guy Andy does or doesn't do or what goes down at Malibu, but unless he puts in some serious training time, I don't buy he's won every fight or everyone's backed down. He's in one of the biggest cities on earth. Act like that long enough and you are guaranteed to meet the wrong guy. And I guarantee Andy has. And I guarantee he found a religion of peace when it happened, even if it only lasted an hour or so.
I'm a fan of jiu-jitsu. I've done a little and put my kids in it. I've done much more muay thai. I am not trying to denigrate these martial arts. With that said, a lot of people seem to believe that the gym or dojo is where you learn become dangerous in physical conflict. This is not the case. Felons, for example, simply study anatomy and figure out where to put the sharp object. In fact, training in a martial arts gym can give you a false sense of security about street violence and what to expect when dealing with someone who is truly dangerous.

B5Fs description sounds plausible to me actually. Like tends to recognize like and there is usually a mutual respect among people who can actually fight and who are willing, thus I could see how Andy never got into it with anyone dangerous or willing to fight. Also, training tends to weed out punks. I worked door security at a bar and it was always the weaklings who couldn't defend themselves starting sh1t. :shrug:

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
Good point, and I agree, that "training in a martial arts gym can give you a false sense of security about street violence". We used to call martial arts students, whose skills could not translate real life situations, "Dojo Ballerinas". These types become quickly disillusioned when they become involved in a street situation, especially involving multiple assailants. As did you, I worked club security for many years, and experienced some gnarly situations going down. More than a few guys found out that their self proclaimed martial arts skills did not translate into that environment. Street violence is a different playing field.
I was sent a link to a Beach Grit podcast with an interview with Andy where he details an encounter with Ben Marcus where he punched out Marcus and then was choked out two times himself. No sympathy for either of them for me.

Reactions: PRCD