Surf trip - LA to Rio on motorcycle

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
'89 Pascuales met a Aussie inspired by article rode moto down solo. Guy was chargin' showed us peanut butter banana sandwiches:cheers:

Reactions: npsp

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I had a south korean colleague who used to work for Samsung that got burnt-out working 14 hours a day so he bought a Honda somewhere in Mexico and drove to Tierra Del Fuego. After he recovered from his near "work death" (karoshi), he found an American company to work for (ours). Anyways, this seems to be semi-common there.

The guy in the OP is a cliche. He doesn't look to be anywhere close to karoshi.

INDTUBE

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 6, 2019
'89 Pascuales met a Aussie inspired by article rode moto down solo. Guy was chargin' showed us peanut butter banana sandwiches:cheers:
I got injured in Pascuale's on my trip - it was only 6-8 foot and most were doing step offs - you really got chose the right wave there - I got pitched over the falls and my fins (GG fins are sharp) slashed the sh!t out my calf - required stitches. I stayed with the New Zealand family that owns the camp/hostile right in front of the main break. Really great family that took care of me.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I got injured in Pascuale's on my trip - it was only 6-8 foot and most were doing step offs - you really got chose the right wave there - I got pitched over the falls and my fins (GG fins are sharp) slashed the sh!t out my calf - required stitches. I stayed with the New Zealand family that owns the camp/hostile right in front of the main break. Really great family that took care of me.
No step in or tows in '89 heard its a sh*t show since heaviest wave I have surfed:drowning:

Reactions: INDTUBE

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Reactions: grapedrink

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Interesting vehicle choice. I’m a big fan of the old minivans as road trip covert campers but I think I’d want 4wd option for that trip

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Met that guy down there in 89 as well.
@npsp If I recall correct his name was Bruce we went after 4th of July Senior year leadbetter party for 3 weeks mostly at pascuales but on the way we found a perfect A frame left. Problem regardless how hard we paddled could not stay in position but it was easy to get out:bricks:Years later forget which zine but saw a pic of pro who lost board and went out to sea never reccovered:drowning:

INDTUBE

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 6, 2019
sure are a ton of things that could go wrong on that trip
No doubt - the boarder crossing were all sketchy - blew a clutch in San Blas and it took 2 week for a new part to arrive - got robbed at gun point in Honduras by fake cops and left zip tied at the side of the road - all my electronics - computer/camera/phone gone - at least they let me keep my passport -it all happened in about 5 min. No regrets though - it was the time of my life - never felt more free.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
@npsp If I recall correct his name was Bruce we went after 4th of July Senior year leadbetter party for 3 weeks mostly at pascuales but on the way we found a perfect A frame left. Problem regardless how hard we paddled could not stay in position but it was easy to get out:bricks:Years later forget which zine but saw a pic of pro who lost board and went out to sea never reccovered:drowning:
Ha!
I was there at the same time. Don't recall his name but I'm thinking I may have met him at Nexpa. After a couple of weeks of beatings at the beach break, it was always nice to spend a few days at the points to recharge. Always preferred Nexpa to Ticla.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Ha!
I was there at the same time. Don't recall his name but I'm thinking I may have met him at Nexpa. After a couple of weeks of beatings at the beach break, it was always nice to spend a few days at the points to recharge. Always preferred Nexpa to Ticla.
Part of my crew split to nexa for a day but I was sick with the runs from eating those greasy fried eggs with fries across the street:barf:I recall a older group of guys from Hungington who liked to drink and another group came later when swell dropped but never got to know them I think they stayed in Colima. Also a older Texas guy rented a room house across from pascuales been going for years. Charged but guy was a trip he left pregnant wife home and he was doing home owners daughter which was pretty common. The cabina we stayed at in front of pascuales was run by Martha and she tried to peddle preteen daughter on us:crazy2:

• Haha
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Brazil is a beautiful country, poverty and crime would deter me however. While on one of my many business trips to the Southern Cone, one evening I spoke to a few diners at the next table. These were Americans from all over the US who flew their motorcycles down to Santiago to partake in a ride from Santiago, Chile over the Andes to Buenos Aires. This was their final night and they were flying out the next day. One fellow almost convinced me to look into a ride from the Bolivia/Argentina border South on Route 40 (North-South length) in Argentina. The road was described as “about as good as non-interstate roads in most States.” Rte 40 runs the length at the base of the Andes. The route ends at Ushuaia/Patagonia (Southern most city on the Continent). As is often the case, time slipped by and the trip never materialized. I’ve traveled many part‘s of the route and don’t believe the risk is equal to a drive through Brazil although I’ve heard it’s is “safer” when one is away from the big cities/favelas. Ah, to be young again…