Andy Lyons For Mayor!

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
same in Montauk, and probably every desirable surf town. "If you don't live here, don't surf here, unless you are buying a 5 million dollar home from me, in that case I'll give you and your family free surf lessons all summer. Also- make sure to buy my friends' <insert costal surf town name here> beer/hat/drone-photo etc"
It's comical (and kind of sad), the scenario out there. Hard to turn down those monies.

Reactions: Subway

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
hahahaha. The amount of $$ some old school Montauk loc's make teaching surfing to hedge fund families is not to be believed. I met Terry Sims one time out at Ditch and he was teaching a supermodel to surf - flew out from Calif apparently to give her very high dollar lessons. She was not the least bit nice.
I really enjoy seeing adult men taking surf lessons, following the instructor around in their new wetsuits. Hahaha, just get out there and try it man, it's knee high!

What_it_Do_Baybeeee

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 28, 2010
CA
Look, the guy seems like a dick, but what do I know. I don't surf Malibu. I don't know him personally. I just don't like the whole internet outrage mob going after him instead of confronting him in person. It just isn't a good look for our society in terms of how to deal with problems.

And guess what? His shitty behavior is probably going to continue. I bet he will be even more disgruntled now that he lost his job. He has buddies out there that will back him up. The fundamental issue was never actually resolved and the kids board still remains broken without an apology (assuming Andy was in the wrong, which again, can't say with certainty).

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
andy is a good dude, until he's not. he wouldn't even be down at 1st if surfrider and heal the bay and all the other kook "activists" hadn't folded to the malibu city council and actually fixed the lagoon so 3rd broke properly. that's his main gripe. they ruined 3rd. and malibu is the perfect storm example of why lawyers, cams, and lack of etiquette have ruined a once noble endeavor. blatant drop ins, no regard for safety, complete fuckery and kookiness prevail out there. dora, the supreme anti everything and everyone dude, is rolling over in his stolen diamond encrusted grave right now. yeah, i grew up in a localized spot, i've dropped in on and snaked unknown people, i'm sometimes a dick in my local waters, but i also know when an older more established person gets right of way. and there are many.
i am a guest everywhere else i go. period. ppk has sent me out into places i would never think of going out at. locals up and down the coast, and all over the world have welcomed me and shared their boards and waves and stories with me. i'm a lucky lucky surfer. i also know where NOT to go. certain places are just places i have no business being at. invite or not. it's just not okay. andy may be many things, but the vilification of him for being what most of us wish we had the balls to be is stupid. surfing is selfish and takes a sense of entitlement. if you don't think so, maybe you need to get a new hobby.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Aren't real estate agents independent contractors, how serious is this lose your job thing, i'm sure he'll be fine if he can sell
The Agency Malibu has listings in the neighborhood of 70 million. You don’t have to sell many of those to get healthy. I would think losing a desk there would hurt.

Reactions: keenfish

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
What ever happened to our erBB resident Malibu local @Mayor1 ?
I think we need him to ring in on this for the insider intel.
It looks like he still lurks this forum.
Hey Mayor1... My buddy Mark Wetton ran for Mayor last time around. Do you know him?

1660094394089.png

Reactions: Boneroni

DVR

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jun 8, 2011
The Agency Malibu has listings in the neighborhood of 70 million. You don’t have to sell many of those to get healthy. I would think losing a desk there would hurt.
Andy has some huge clients and its the Agency's loss to succumb to the internet woke judge and jury that constitutes mainstream culture. The agency posted something like Andy has been fired and our hearts go out to those affected by his behavior. WHAT A JOKE! Andy is Malibu and sells millions of real estate every year. He's a hardworking guy,good father and like B5 said stands up to protect this town. We all had to take our lumps growing up and show respect to the elders and follow the etiquette. The guy should be thanking Andy for only dinging his sh!t board. This would not fly in most spots in the world and often results in punches thrown. But the tik tok cancel culture are such pussies. Posting his address on line, flooding his company with IG messages, vilifying him without knowing the story that yellow board dude was back paddling a 50 year local over and over again? This will pass and Andy will continue sell tons of houses and dominate 1st. He's not going anywhere. Learn respect you tools, otherwise it gets taught to you. If your iphone is society's weapon of choice and people can lie and stay anonymous, like pussies, then we need a correction. Go Andy!

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
same in Montauk, and probably every desirable surf town. "If you don't live here, don't surf here, unless you are buying a 5 million dollar home from me, in that case I'll give you and your family free surf lessons all summer. Also- make sure to buy my friends' <insert costal surf town name here> beer/hat/drone-photo etc"
Wasn’t always like that.… winter time always the best time there, but I’ know the whole east end is a sh!t show yr round now

So many beautiful places over run all over. There’s just too many fuggin people.

Reactions: mundus and keenfish

xxx

Nep status
Nov 18, 2006
This makes me laugh. I surfed for 45 years and surfed Malibu exactly once. In the 80's a south came in at the same time as a full moon. I always wanted to surf it, but the place was always packed and it didn't seem like too much fun. Made the drive from OC and arrived at 1am. There had to have been at least 75 people on it. But with the swell pushing, it was pretty fun. Nothing has changed, except the crowd has grown a bit. Still doesn't look like too much fun...

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Wasn’t always like that.… winter time always the best time there, but I’ know the whole east end is a sh!t show yr round now

So many beautiful places over run all over. There’s just too many fuggin people.
Home prices seem to be completely disconnected from population growth. NY’s population has been the same for a long time. CA’s is going down yet housing prices about doubled in the last two years. The main correlation I see are the Fed’s balance sheets which rose from $4 trillion to $9 trillion.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY

yeah the east end has been on a century long bender, but the last 10-15 years really accelerated, capped off by the pandemic-induced year round population growth. i couldn’t live there again. All my friends that live there and are raising families etc…they’re stressed out like urban dwellers now. Traffic is a year round battle, cost of everything is based on the deep pockets of the Uber wealthy who now live there virtually full time, its nuts.

but, the ocean bays and woods (where preserved) are all still pretty sweet, you just have to dodge 20x more people than just a few years ago.

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
Home prices seem to be completely disconnected from population growth. NY’s population has been the same for a long time. CA’s is going down yet housing prices about doubled in the last two years. The main correlation I see are the Fed’s balance sheets which rose from $4 trillion to $9 trillion.
CA real estate has always been driven more by the dream than by market economics. CA' s status climate and cache trumps NY's. Second and third "homes", short term rental properties, international buyers. The market pressure is felt in the cheaper outlying inland areas where the actual full time resident population often defaults

Reactions: grapedrink

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
lll
yeah the east end has been on a century long bender, but the last 10-15 years really accelerated, capped off by the pandemic-induced year round population growth. i couldn’t live there again. All my friends that live there and are raising families etc…they’re stressed out like urban dwellers now. Traffic is a year round battle, cost of everything is based on the deep pockets of the Uber wealthy who now live there virtually full time, its nuts.

but, the ocean bays and woods (where preserved) are all still pretty sweet, you just have to dodge 20x more people than just a few years ago.
so sad. I have friends out there that are just miserable. Like that on the North fork - same mess

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
andy is a good dude, until he's not. he wouldn't even be down at 1st if surfrider and heal the bay and all the other kook "activists" hadn't folded to the malibu city council and actually fixed the lagoon so 3rd broke properly. that's his main gripe. they ruined 3rd. and malibu is the perfect storm example of why lawyers, cams, and lack of etiquette have ruined a once noble endeavor. blatant drop ins, no regard for safety, complete fuckery and kookiness prevail out there. dora, the supreme anti everything and everyone dude, is rolling over in his stolen diamond encrusted grave right now. yeah, i grew up in a localized spot, i've dropped in on and snaked unknown people, i'm sometimes a dick in my local waters, but i also know when an older more established person gets right of way. and there are many.
i am a guest everywhere else i go. period. ppk has sent me out into places i would never think of going out at. locals up and down the coast, and all over the world have welcomed me and shared their boards and waves and stories with me. i'm a lucky lucky surfer. i also know where NOT to go. certain places are just places i have no business being at. invite or not. it's just not okay. andy may be many things, but the vilification of him for being what most of us wish we had the balls to be is stupid. surfing is selfish and takes a sense of entitlement. if you don't think so, maybe you need to get a new hobby.
This is a great post.

As for the outraged mob on social media that hoped to ruin Mr. Lyon's life - I'd be willing to bet my left nut I could correctly pinpoint some of the other "issues" in surfing and life in general they are super-concerned with.

BTW, the "kid" that was "victimized" is apparently a guy in his late 20s. (I know I'm using male pronouns, but that's just by default - I don't know what his pronouns are. Hope I'm not being hurtful.:unsure:)

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
As for the outraged mob on social media that hoped to ruin Mr. Lyon's life - I'd be willing to bet my left nut I could correctly pinpoint some of the other "issues" in surfing and life in general they are super-concerned with.
Nice.