Andy Lyons For Mayor!

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Does Malibu ever become a challenging serious wave as it gets bigger? I've surfed a reef point in the Caribbean where at double overhead or bigger it can have two very different looks and moods depending on swell angle. Its one mood is a giant playful sweeping point wave where its a crowded shitshow because there are zero consequences. Shift the swell direction and wind a few degrees and at the same size the place wants to kill you. Sketchy ledging takeoffs and horrific reef thrashings and hold downs. It becomes a wave of consequence. Does Malibu ever become anything even remotely like that even on its biggest days?
biggest ive seen it was Hurricane Marie. Still a million kooks. Biggest Ive surfed it was a bout head high. The wave stands up better but its still forgiving. Worse consequence is maybe getting caught inside and steamrolled by alot of white water but thats about it. Most dangerous thing about the place is the crowd.

Reactions: Havoc

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Hahahaha remember folks, gotta be careful these days, EVERYBODY TRAINS

Surfed Topanga once with my friend from Manhattan Beach who is an intermediate surfer but a Rickson Gracie black belt and was an instructor at Kron Gracie's academy. Some guy burned my him and then started yapping and I was like "buddy, pipe down before you take a forced nap."
Obviously the yapper had no training because it should be fairly obvious to anyone who does that your friend trains.

Rickson BB? Taught with Kron? Your friend has fuckked up ears.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Does Malibu ever become a challenging serious wave as it gets bigger? I've surfed a reef point in the Caribbean where at double overhead or bigger it can have two very different looks and moods depending on swell angle. Its one mood is a giant playful sweeping point wave where its a crowded shitshow because there are zero consequences. Shift the swell direction and wind a few degrees and at the same size the place wants to kill you. Sketchy ledging takeoffs and horrific reef thrashings and hold downs. It becomes a wave of consequence. Does Malibu ever become anything even remotely like that even on its biggest days?
It's a perfect point so it's pretty easy to ride and to get out. On a big day the beginners are gone but there are enough intermediates to clog the line up with a hundred people. At low tide you can get tubes, even at First. You can actually get more than one on a wave. But there are no sketchy ledging take offs or shallow reef. I have snapped a board over at Kiddie Bowl (second point) on a big day. I tried duck diving a low tide, over head bowl, the lip landed square on my shoulders and my board crumpled in my hands. Other than that the only real danger is the crowd...and your own high blood pressure as frustration with the crowd sets in.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
That's what he called it. It sounded to me like a sustained assault haha
Ah. some gyms do “belt tests”. Usually it’s at “affiliate” gyms where the the main guy (in this case, Rickson) isn’t present with the students that much so they come in and see where their level is at by smashing the fuck out of them.

I just got my black belt on saturday. I roll with my instructors every day so they just decided that it was time.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Ah. some gyms do “belt tests”. Usually it’s at “affiliate” gyms where the the main guy (in this case, Rickson) isn’t present with the students that much so they come in and see where their level is at by smashing the fook out of them.

I just got my black belt on saturday. I roll with my instructors every day so they just decided that it was time.
Congrats!

This "test" apparently happened in Rickson's backyard and happened under the guise of "come over and help me move some stuff."

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Congrats!
Thanks. Feels weird still.

This "test" apparently happened in Rickson's backyard and happened under the guise of "come over and help me move some stuff."
Sounds very…

…Brazilian.

The owner of my gym (Brazilian guy) will ask, “can you help me with class tonight?” but what he really means is, “you are teaching class tonight.”

• Haha
Reactions: youcantbeserious

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
He’s been fired.

• Wow
Reactions: grapedrink

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Cancel culture goes surfing.

I believe the agency is owned by one of the Beverly Hills housewives and her husband. lmao. SO L.A.

Reactions: Havoc

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
same in Montauk, and probably every desirable surf town. "If you don't live here, don't surf here, unless you are buying a 5 million dollar home from me, in that case I'll give you and your family free surf lessons all summer. Also- make sure to buy my friends' <insert costal surf town name here> beer/hat/drone-photo etc"

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
same in Montauk, and probably every desirable surf town. "If you don't live here, don't surf here, unless you are buying a 5 million dollar home from me, in that case I'll give you and your family free surf lessons all summer. Also- make sure to buy my friends' <insert costal surf town name here> beer/hat/drone-photo etc"
hahahaha. The amount of $$ some old school Montauk loc's make teaching surfing to hedge fund families is not to be believed. I met Terry Sims one time out at Ditch and he was teaching a supermodel to surf - flew out from Calif apparently to give her very high dollar lessons. She was not the least bit nice.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Yup.

Many many years ago in the early days of my posting hear I made a thread about this.

“Buy a house from me or use a service I provide and you get instaloc status.”

Im like, look, the Internet revolution is upon us, your beach town is about to be raped and pillaged unless someone starts to knock these cocksuckers around.

And here we be.

Reactions: steamroller

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
5 million doesn’t go very far in Malibu anymore.
true enough in Montauk too now. It will get you a decent house on a quarter acre maybe. no pool, needs work, smells of dead fish on an August afternoon

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
When I was a kid it was much more direct. A slap or a dunk. Then you got sent in. And you went. Until you got big enough to punch back. That got interesting.
Teenage boys have no fear of men now, not even their fathers.

true enough in Montauk too now. It will get you a decent house on a quarter acre maybe. no pool, needs work, smells of dead fish on an August afternoon
It's the end of an era. Surfing is now a rich man's sport. The seaside slums and blue collar beach towns are gone.